FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Christmas Gift For My Gf, When To Give It To Her?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
While it is a cool story I’ll skip it and get to the point. (If you care to know I’ll stick it at the bottom.) I got my GF a ring while we were in Vegas for Christmas. I’m trying to figure out if I should give it to her privately on Christmas Eve or something or just give it to her while we are opening all our presents with her family.

It’s a pretty personal thing so I’m not sure which to do?

I know we are mostly all guys here but if you could possibly ask your other half which she might want along with giving me your suggestion I would appreciate it.

I’ve been thinking about since late October and I’ve got equal reasons for both.

Thanks

Edit : No it’s not an engagement ring.

( The story.)

While we were in Vegas we did some shopping in the Forum shops at Ceasar’s . While I was in a store buying some shoes I saw Kristin looking at something in the window of a Jewelry store across the way for about 10 minutes. After about 6 hours of shopping we went back to the MGM to relax. When she fell asleep later that afternoon I proceeded back to the store at high speed. I looked in the window and saw about 6 rings after checking the security tape we figured out which ring she was looking at. Most were way out of my price range by about 10K but the one she was looking at was within reason so I figured what the hell. It’s a blue sapphire and diamond ring pretty conservative something that I would have chosen for her. When I got back to the MGM the bellman who let me bypass the taxi line when I told what I was doing had a pizza in his hand and laughing said now how would you explain where you were.

I got back to our room and she had just woken up! It cost way more than I would have planned spending, hell it cost more than our trip but I can't wait to see the look on her face when she realizes where she saw it before!
Only in Vegas....

Okay, here's the deal. I've done this before.

Have it waiting for her Christmas morning. BEFORE you get to the inlaws. Have it for her when she gets up in the morning.

This gives you room to have a quiet morning beofre the craziness. Plus time to do the deed before you have to look at her father in the eyes.

Good luck Simon.

Just marry her fro Pete's sake. :rolleyes:
Boy, she is really going to like you. Women really like that sort of thing. I would give it to her before you go to the inlaws. Could this be an engagement ring? ;)
Privately!
here is a good way of giving it to her. tie a bow around the shaft of you John Thomas with the ring in it make a nice bow, do a sexy strip dance for her and let the rest just happen

yeah not the most romantic but who cares you spent a truck load of cash on it so who cares about presentation :)
Euro Ford Fan,Dec 1 2005, 11:49 AM Wrote:.....I saw Kristin looking at something in the window of a Jewelry store across the way for about 10 minutes.  ......[right][snapback]158795[/snapback][/right]

Oh sure, I stare for 10 minutes straight at inatimate objects ALL THE TIME everyone does. :rolleyes:

Wake up!

That Maserati MC12 in the other thread could be parked outside my work right now and I couldn't even stare at it for 10 minutes straight without getting bored and walking away. People travel to the Louvre to look at the Mona Lisa and I doubt they spend an entire 10 minutes looking at it.

You be......................

[Image: aid.jpg]

Best regards,

I.M Grinch
Christmas morning for sure... before the inlaws...

do it christmas eve, and sure, you'll have a great evening, but you won't get sleep and won't really remember the rest of the next day.

Do it first thing in the morning, you'll be (hopefully) well rested, it'll be a special little moment... etc...

personally, I would go grab a cracker jacks box.. with a cheesy plastic wring, and put that in the 'expensive box and give it to her on Christmas eve (I knew you were looking at it in the window, but I couldn't afford the ring.. sorry hun).

Then in the morning, pull the box of cracker jacks out and start munching away in bed.. "you want the prize form this box of cracker jacks?"

extra points if you use pink elephant popcorn instead.

I'm a romantic, i know it
I'd do it before, simply because it's NOT an engagement ring and you're doing it at Christmas time. You're going to get brained.
If I ever gave any ring to my girlfreind, she'd expect it TO BE an engagement ring. Thats for SURE.

Over my dead body though. :lol: :lol:
^^--- that's love for ya...
Flofocus,Dec 1 2005, 01:22 PM Wrote:If I ever gave any ring to my girlfreind, she'd expect it TO BE an engagement ring.  Thats for SURE.

Over my dead body though.  :lol:  :lol:
[right][snapback]158825[/snapback][/right]

You gotta clcean the prostitiches outta the car before you pop the question.. that makes it all romantic and whatnot :P
darkpuppet,Dec 1 2005, 02:24 PM Wrote:^^--- that's love for ya...
[right][snapback]158826[/snapback][/right]

"Baby, I dont need no bullshit never ending circle of commitment to prove I love you."

:lol:

I'm hoping that works out for me in the long run. :lol: :lol:
I am not so sure about this one. How long have you been dating? She may be expecting the big one and for you to give her this ring without a promise at Christmas, a highly emotional and volitile time of year? It may be a big high that turns into a big "If he loved me he would of asked me to marry him". So what's wrong with our relationship? Saga/drama.

And no, this isn't me just shite disturbing.

I might wait a bit

How long have you been dating? Anything over 2 years and she'll be expecting the question to be popped soon. Expecially with a ring box in tow.

If you need a wedding photographer, AnthonyD knows a good one. ;)

The expert (wife) says do it privately. And skip all the bs I put in. Diamonds are a good thing apparently. She needs more.
meford4u,Dec 1 2005, 02:50 PM Wrote:Diamonds are a good thing apparently.  She needs more.
[right][snapback]158835[/snapback][/right]

They are a girls best friend and thats pretty much what Ive been getting my GF for the past 3 years.

I asked my GF about your situation (Thought Id stop going Offtopic) she agrred to do it privately, but like I (and meford) said she (as in mY GF) would be expecting the question.

I gave her your scenario, 1st thing to come out of her mouth...

"Awwww, how sweet & romantic, Id love an engagement ring around this time of year, its perfect!"

Thanks Simon, thanks. :ph34r:
^^ [Image: 003.jpg]
:puke:
nass,Dec 1 2005, 12:27 PM Wrote:here is a good way of giving it to her. tie a bow around the shaft of you John Thomas with the ring in it make a nice bow, do a sexy strip dance for her and let the rest just happen

yeah not the most romantic but who cares you spent a truck load of cash on it so who cares about presentation :)
[right][snapback]158808[/snapback][/right]

ALLL-RIIIIIIGHT
meford4u,Dec 1 2005, 01:50 PM Wrote:I am not so sure about this one.  How long have you been dating?  She may be expecting the big one and for you to give her this ring without a promise at Christmas, a highly emotional and volitile time of year?  It may be a big high that turns into a big "If he loved me he would of asked me to marry him". So what's wrong with our relationship?  Saga/drama.
[right][snapback]158835[/snapback][/right]
Yep.

Do it privately. If you've been going out a long time be prepared for some fallout because, like what Meford said, women are emotional that way and they'll expect it to be the big one. You kinda picked a bad occasion to give her this, many couples get engaged at Christmas, and when you're house-hopping at the relatives she'll have to do the explanatory "It's not an engagement ring" disclaimer.

Valentine's Day is another no-no. Something like this I would give at a Birthday or "Dating Anniversary" because it's at an oddball, non-formal time when the women aren't gathered around psycho-analyzing their gifts and each other's. I've been married twice ( and still married to my new wife) and TRUST me they do this.

If it's not "THE ring" I would stick to other types of jewelry for Christmas and Valentine's Day.

And another note. If and when it is THE one, (and this goes out to other guys in that predicament) DO NOT make that her ONLY or even PRIMARY Christmas gift. Think of it this way -- you know how it would suck to have your birthday on Boxing Day and everyone kinda burning you with the "It's a Christmas/Birthday gift" thing, and you get ripped off? Same thing.

When my wife and I got engaged, I proposed a week before Christmas, and on Christmas gave her the normal, average Christmas haul. That way, we were already "recovered" from the fvckfest and we could deal with everyone else.

Christmas is Christmas, and your engagement is a whole other event. Don't double dip. If she doesn't notice, her friends will and will point it out.

Good luck.
^^ Was thinking all that too. Well put.

I picked the day BEFORE Valentine's Day. She never saw it coming! :lol:

Or the ring while it sat on the table for 5+ minutes as she talked with our friends...
Thanks for the suggestions guys, not an easy situation eh. I’m doubt that she will look at this as an engagement ring, it doesn’t look like one. It’s more of a band with stones in and around it rather than one honking big rock on a band. Hmmmmm
F**K now this has me worried.

As much as I would like to pop the question I’m not ready to do that yet and I’m fairly sure that she isn’t either. While I’m pretty sure I would get a yes if I asked, we still have a ways to go yet, a few more months at least.

Anthony: Oh the craziness of that day… yeah fun. I doubt we will actually be at my place her parents do a Christmas eve party so odds are we will be there. BTW I stopped in at Spence to get an idea of $$, they really do sell you which is nice. Still got to find out what she would really like before I do anything.

Andrew: Thanks Mr. Grinch. LOL mmmm MC12

Steve: I was thinking about doing something like that but being early in the morning it sorts of limits my options. I’ve already got one of those candy rings thinking that I may use that, but I’m not sure if I want to insert humor.

Meford: You bring up a very good point, I hadn’t really been thinking about that angle. I don’t want to be like here is this thing but it’s not what you may think it’s just this, not that there is anything wrong with that, I’m just not there yet…. Oh god I can see myself digging a really big hole. We have only been dating for about a year now so I’m 95% sure she is not expecting me to ask. Thank your wife for me for her input!

Flo: Sorry guy…. Best you go shopping now. LOL

Well guys, I’m still not sure what I’m going to do. I’m defiantly leaning towards private but damn the more I think about this the less sure I am.
Pages: 1 2