FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Hey Honda Heads! I Need Your Help!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, so a buddy of mine from back home wants me to go check out a civic for him in Toronto... it has, according to him, "an imported b16 and tranny and maybe a bit of rust".

so that's wonderful..

but what do I really need to know about this car? Sorry I can't provide more details, as my responsibilities are to take good pictures, see it run, but if there's anything I should be looking for, I wouldn't mind knowing.

well just one word of wisdom, make sure the papers are in. Make sure the engine is not stollen and also make sure the car could be certified and emmision tested. Without these the car is useless. Rust can always be fixed. Obviously the B16 is imported, but ask where they got the engine from, call the place as well making sure its ture. Ask the seller why he is selling the car. Most times something went wrong with the project that is why they are selling. Find out what it was. Hope this helps.
mo_focus,Dec 1 2005, 08:02 AM Wrote:well just one word of wisdom, make sure the papers are in. Make sure the engine is not stollen and also make sure the car could be certified and emmision tested. Without these the car is useless. Rust can always be fixed. Obviously the B16 is imported, but ask where they got the engine from, call the place as well making sure its ture. Ask the seller why he is selling the car. Most times something went wrong with the project that is why they are selling. Find out what it was. Hope this helps.
[right][snapback]158745[/snapback][/right]

yeah, that's what I'm concerned about... My buddy talked to this guy and said he was pretty knowledgable. I call the guy up and it's like talking into the bottom of a bong.

hell, if the car is worth it, it won't even be there tonight (2 days, and someone should have snagged it).
Nah .. Hondas dont sell 'that' fast....

I know hondas inside out.. As me anything.. If it was somewhere I could easily get to I would help him check it out too.
I'm working on a Honda hatch now to :)

We've had to replace the rear quarter panels, that cost me $100 for two new 'weld in' panels. Other than that the car looks to be pretty solid.

Now just gotta find a sweet engine to drop in it.
I love those weld in panels .. I wish I had a picture of my old civic after I welded them at a shop then grinded them all down .. the car looked brand new.
tdot-zx3,Dec 1 2005, 10: Wrote:I love those weld in panels .. I wish I had a picture of my old civic after I welded them at a shop then grinded them all down .. the car looked brand new.
[right][snapback]158760[/snapback][/right]

I got them threw Canadian Automotive Parts Supplier (C.A.P.S) they were regular $100 a peice, but gave me the whoeslae rpice for it.

Same with my Justy, bought a new exhaust system for it....I think anthony at PI quoted me something like $800.00 for the full Bosal system. $250.00 with universal cat from CAPS, and all the peices were made by Bosal except the cat.

Thats my favorite car store. :D
Is that the Integra GSR engine thats in that Honda? Those motors have jumped in price like you wouldn't believe. My buddy is a Honda nut job and hes got a 93 Hatch with a GSR Engine and Type-R tranny with some serious mods to it and its running a 13.2 in the 1/4....... He said for him to get a new GSR engine imported it will cost him $3000-$4000 for the engine alone. I'd say if the Honda has got that engine and its around $4000-$6500 i'd pick it up :) Just make sure that the engine is not stolen like mo focus said :)
GSR = b18c1
SIR = b16a1/2

Its not from an integra, its from a Civic.. what year .. all depends on the engine code.

I got 6500 for my 1992 civic this summer with a GSR motor inside it.. I like how you can piece together these cars and still come out around the price you spent and break even (well if you do it properly).
alright...

checked out the car tonight... car body is in pretty decent shape, a bit of rust on the rear quarter wheel wells, but solid nonetheless.

now here's the thing about the engine and tranny..

[Image: civic__0007.jpg]

B16A mated to an SI tranny (cable clutch).

The wiring didn't seem too bad by touch, but I found a few unwrapped wires, but not sure how it's supposed to look per se.

it's hard checking out a car at night by penlight ... but there is a tad wee bit of oil coming from the left-hand side of the valve covers... plenty of grunge on the block itself..so scraped it clean to get that pic.

and a full zoomed out shot. is here

the car seems to run fairly well as well tho...

Oh yeah, check engine light is lit... kid says the header causes it... it's a '92, so it's not the second O2...

thoughts?
truth. He needs Anthony's house of clean.

And a litttle oil around the valve cover is an easy fix.

An unwrapped wire could be from a disco mod any owner did.

What are they asking and what kind of mileage. I don't know a tonne about Honda's but the same applies for any car. IMO, anything over 125k is going to cost you and anything over 200k is a serious rape risk.

But hey, it's not my car.

Tell him to buy it :D :lol:
I'm giving it three out of five possible fluffies:

:fluffy: :fluffy: :fluffy:

B16A Honda Civic SiR (JDM) 1989-1991
B16A Honda Civic (EDM) 1992-1995
B16A Honda Civic VTi 1996-2000
B16A Honda Del Sol/CRX SiR 1992-1996
B16A Honda Civic SiR (JDM-Hatch) 1989-1992

Did he have papers? (I cant make out the picture at all .. its dark for me)

Whats he doing in terms of an ecu?... OBd1 only has got 1 o2 sensor anyways... so that doesnt seem right. Maybe im misunderstanding what he meant.

Most of honda wires are inside that factor black loom. There should be lots of that. I can see a sloppy job near the left strut mount.

On the left side where the engine mates the tranny .. is that oil or just dark dark dirt?

Looks like he just changed his rad. Looks like an SI rad, probably because the engine was overheating. (So common when things arent done right, then they always swap rads later.)

Powersteering line leak? Another dark area...

When was the swap done? How many Km?

Ill reread in the morning.
tdot-zx3,Dec 2 2005, 04: Wrote:B16A Honda Civic SiR (JDM) 1989-1991
B16A Honda Civic (EDM) 1992-1995
B16A Honda Civic VTi 1996-2000
B16A Honda Del Sol/CRX SiR 1992-1996
B16A Honda Civic SiR (JDM-Hatch) 1989-1992

Did he have papers? (I cant make out the picture at all .. its dark for me)

Whats he doing in terms of an ecu?... OBd1 only has got 1 o2 sensor anyways... so that doesnt seem right. Maybe im misunderstanding what he meant.

Most of honda wires are inside that factor black loom. There should be lots of that. I can see a sloppy job near the left strut mount.

On the left side where the engine mates the tranny .. is that oil or just dark dark dirt?

Looks like he just changed his rad. Looks like an SI rad, probably because the engine was overheating. (So common when things arent done right, then they always swap rads later.)

Powersteering line leak? Another dark area...

When was the swap done? How many Km?

Ill reread in the morning.
[right][snapback]158961[/snapback][/right]

I believe it's an SiR B16A.. but please don't ask me if it's the hatch or not. The kid has paperwork for the engine, but I didn't take pictures of it unfortunately.

I'm not sure what he's doing in terms of ECU... but he said that it's OBDI, now wether he meant the header was for OBDI, and he was running an OBDII ECU... I'm not 100% sure... couldn't be EGR could it?

And yes, the rad IS new... and yes, that is oily dirt where the engine mates to the tranny (but it seems to have originated from the valve covers -- once again, sort of hard to tell in the dark)...

The power steering, yeah.. that's a hackjob similar to what the boys from tuner transformation did to my car. notice the hose clamp tying the rubber hose to the hardline on the low pressure return? I got that! But it's a helluva a lot easier to fix on this car, so I'm not worried about that.

I can't remember how many miles are on the engine but it only has a couple thousand clicks in this car.. .. and a bit of dyno time as well.
How much are they asking? You sure it's a Cable clutch? It should be hydro for a 92 unless they have a hydro to cable conversion kit....

All depends on the price I think.
Jays2000ZX3,Dec 2 2005, 09:52 AM Wrote:How much are they asking? You sure it's a Cable clutch? It should be hydro for a 92 unless they have a hydro to cable conversion kit....

All depends on the price I think.
[right][snapback]158976[/snapback][/right]

4 grand

it's a cable clutch.... most definitely.. possibly from an integra SI (wish I had taken pics of the paperwork now)
IIRC there was no Integra Si... RS, GS, LS, Type R and I think that's it.

Am I wrong?
NOS2Go4Me,Dec 2 2005, 11:22 AM Wrote:IIRC there was no Integra Si... RS, GS, LS, Type R and I think that's it.

Am I wrong?
[right][snapback]159000[/snapback][/right]

google sure finds a lot of them..
I stand corrected :D
Quote:I'm not sure what he's doing in terms of ECU... but he said that it's OBDI, now wether he meant the header was for OBDI, and he was running an OBDII ECU... I'm not 100% sure... couldn't be EGR could it?

Nah civics dont have egr... luckily. And he has to be running obd1...

The header could be from a newer style as I think they still fit on the head since the head design didnt change... but... All they would have to do is close the 2nd o2 .. and even if they didnt.. there still shouldnt be a check engine .. just a massive leak.. ehhe.

Probably wonna get some clarification on that one.

He had dyno time? What were the numbers... that almost scares me that he did because you know it was probably someone who beat on that car alot. Granted hondas do take quite the beating.... but still gotta watch out.