FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Satalite Radio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Whether its Sirius or XM, do any of you have it in your car or home. how do you like it, which one do you find better that the other. I've got a Clarion deck with the option for a Sirius Satalite Radio hook-up. I'm just trying to make up my mind whether its worth it to get. I seem to be in my car alot, and most of the time I can't find anything good on the radio, Windsor has 4-5 half descent stations, and even then thats pushing it.
If it was a one time fee to buy the hardware I'd be in on it, but paying monthly for radio??? I have enough bills as it is.
I used to have Sirius and now that its available here..im going to put it back...
Sirius its the best one..100 channels without advertising..!!
it has a lot of cool channels..and you better get the portable one..so you can have it home and in your ride.!
I bought one from regional springs for $60. It has either a RCA hookup for an AUX in on a deck or a built in FM Broadcaster for decks that are without aux hookups. It came with the cigarette lighter power adapter and house 12V plug adapter. They have an activation of $130 and that gives you 1 year of free music and then after that its $10 a month. You can also shell out $500 for a lifetime subscription to the service however I don't plan on doing that because I don't think Sirius will be around for 5 years.
I've had Sirius for over a year. It is awesome. We have good stations here and I never listen to them anymore. I ALWAYS have my Sirius on. BTW I'd get US sirius because they don't have to comply to canadian content laws.

Oh yea!! Howard Stern Jan '06.
Check your tv or internet more often Laidman......Sirius is now in Canada..!!
http://www.siriuscanada.ca....!!!tomorrow is the launch!!
redsvtfocus,Nov 30 2005, 08:41 PM Wrote:Check your tv or internet more often...Sirius is now in Canada..!!
ww :D w.siriuscanada.ca....!!!tomorrow is the launch!!
[right][snapback]158667[/snapback][/right]

Yes I know that.. My point is that I would subscribe to the american sirius as it doesn't need to comply with the CRTC and canadian content laws. You should read engrish more better ;)
But for the american sirius, don't you need a US mailing address??
I would get the portable one, but I have a compatible Clarion deck, and with that other reciever, it would make my dash too cluttered.
is howard stern offered on the canadian subscription?
laidman,Dec 1 2005, 11:28 AM Wrote:But for the american sirius, don't you need a US mailing address??
I would get the portable one, but I have a compatible Clarion deck, and with that other reciever, it would make my dash too cluttered.
[right][snapback]158767[/snapback][/right]

No. I just signed up online. Used my entire addres except changed city/province/postal code to Bev hills /Cal/90210. Used my real cell number. They don't care. I've even called and made changes to my account. No problem
bluetoy,Dec 1 2005, 01:29 PM Wrote:
laidman,Dec 1 2005, 11:28 AM Wrote:But for the american sirius, don't you need a US mailing address??
[right][snapback]158767[/snapback][/right]

No. I just signed up online. Used my entire addres except changed city/province/postal code to Bev hills /Cal/90210. Used my real cell number. They don't care. I've even called and made changes to my account. No problem
[right][snapback]158809[/snapback][/right]

They no longer accept Canadian Credit cards for US services, also they re-directed the US number so when you call it you get Syrius Canada now since they launched. :(
My JVC HU is Sirius compatible...I'm going to get the black box from them next year and jack it directly into my HU. We have the "Bear" from Ottawa, the Honkey-Tonk channel in Pembroke, and a few talk channels from CBC available here in Pet...that's it. No Urban Top 40 or anything like that. Plus I beleive it's cheap...like $12cdn per month...

I also think that the SQ will be really good in comparison to regular FM, and that it will be similar to use as say....Audio Galaxie on Digital Cable...
just a heads up, i think wal mart has a deal for the XM radio's right now if anyones' looking
What would be better a compatible deck or just the little receiver that comes with it?
u dont need Sirus or XM to catch STERN, I've been listning to Stern for over a year on FM, its on the Jack FM in 92.9 or something... btw, its a US Radio station so it doesnt come in clear all the time in Toronto. but its pretty good.
paolo,Dec 7 2005, 10:36 AM Wrote:u dont need Sirus or XM to catch STERN,  I've been listning to Stern for over a year on FM, its on the Jack FM in 92.9 or something... btw, its a US Radio station so it doesnt come in clear all the time in Toronto. but its pretty good.
[right][snapback]159760[/snapback][/right]
thats right, but as of december 16 or something he won't be on there anymore, only on satellite starting in january
We just put one im my dads 06 Ranger. Its sweet. Got him the reciever with multi colors etc for $59 then it costs 12 a month witch they take off Your credit card. My mom got one to and they are on a family plan and works out to $7 each.

Reception is awsome to. Only time it cuts out is in the downtown area and in parkades.
Well, I just ordered my US chipped Sirius Satalite radio receiver the other day. This place a block any from me ordered half adozen of them. SO at least I will be able to hear Howard Stern's show, as well as anything else
does it have RCA out or is it an FM transmitter?
You can do either-or Nass...if you get a new HU that has the connection and control for either XM or Sirius, then you don't need the tuner/demodulator on the dash, just control it from your deck.

It costs $14.99 cdn per month for the first account, each additional one is $7.99 per month, and you don't need to do contracts, just do pay as you go if you'd like.

Your dealer (and I'm talking a car stereo shop, not Walmarts auto parts dept), will tell you that you don't need a american address to sign up for the US Sirius...just tell the company you want it, and that's it, that's all. The activation after install is usually within minutes after you call in the order.

Both companies have both name brand receivers/demodulators, as well as their own. Delphi, Kenwood, RCA, JVC, and a bunch of other brands make stuff for them. And there are always different styles and configurations of hardware too.

All in all, I think Sat Radio is gonna give regular FM a BIG wakeup call...
Pages: 1 2