FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Deal Of The Day For Computer Guys
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...manufacture=AMD

1MB L2, S939 for no-ECC RAM, and the wonderful overclockingness of AMD's 90nm rev. E processors. SSE3 support, too.

I have decided that THAT processor will power the new webserver. But my scissors are having trouble cutting the screen. So I guess I'll have to wait till they're in stock (and after Christmas at that).
Hmm... I guess it's an alright deal considering you could get a non-opteron 939 athlon 64 for $40 less, but with half the cache.

at regular prices, I never really saw the use for buying single processor capable Opterons personally...
I overclocked my breakfast this morning. Must be the caffeine?

[Image: dv9tv.jpg]
^^ That's been my avatar at forums.amd.com for 2 years :P

It's a great deal for that and the dual-core 165 because they're low clock speed variants (low price point) and the dual 1MB L2 caches makes for some sweet processing. You'd be surprised with the actual usability difference in going from a 512K L2 to a 1MB L2. It's almost as profound as going from 256K L2 (Thoroughbred / Palomino AMDs) to a 512K L2 (Barton core, pre-AMD64).

I guess it matters to me because I'll have a webserver doing nothing but folding with an Opteron 165 in it. 2 cores, overclocked to at least 2.2GHz each and probably 2GB of RAM. Let the folding commence!

This is the RAM I want for my system, eventually, now that I have swappage playing Battlefield 2 :angry: - http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...CZ%20Technology

Current web server is t3h 5Ux - Celeron 466Mhz, 512MB PC66 RAM.
NOS2Go4Me,Nov 29 2005, 01:02 PM Wrote:^^ That's been my avatar at forums.amd.com for 2 years :P

It's a great deal for that and the dual-core 165 because they're low clock speed variants (low price point) and the dual 1MB L2 caches makes for some sweet processing. You'd be surprised with the actual usability difference in going from a 512K L2 to a 1MB L2. It's almost as profound as going from 256K L2 (Thoroughbred / Palomino AMDs) to a 512K L2 (Barton core, pre-AMD64).

I guess it matters to me because I'll have a webserver doing nothing but folding with an Opteron 165 in it. 2 cores, overclocked to at least 2.2GHz each and probably 2GB of RAM. Let the folding commence!

This is the RAM I want for my system, eventually, now that I have swappage playing Battlefield 2 :angry: - http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...CZ%20Technology

Current web server is t3h 5Ux - Celeron 466Mhz, 512MB PC66 RAM.
[right][snapback]158308[/snapback][/right]

I just picked up that ram today.... winner = steve!
Yup... it's hardcore s**t.

I wouldn't mind two kits, really... one for me and one for the server.

It overclocks supernice... I've had 7GB/sec+ out of my 1GB kit without issues. CAS 2.5, 3-3-7, 2.9 vDIMM. @ DDR500.
Nice! i wish i had a lan party....
I have this stuff.
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...CZ%20Technology

Half the size. But it'll do 275 MHz at 2.85v (though you have to loosen the timings a bit, so it requires a lot of messing to get the max performance for your system) :D

I've only got it running 240 MHz, 1:1 with my X2 3800+ @ 2.4 GHz. I've seen people hit higher, but not with my crappy Asus A8N-SLI.

I hear those Opterons are really good overclockers, I read a lot of stuff about being higher quality etc.. but I'm happy with mine. I'll push it a bit more when I finish the Coupled Spinup beta model for CPDN (3000 hours lol but atleast I can run two models).

Edit: I should also mention, CPDN is by far the hardest test on a processor I've found. I've had Prime95 tests run days without error, and CPDN would run 30 minutes and find one. So the fact I've been running CPDN on this machine for 2 months straight an no error really tells you how stable it is. Possibly 3 restarts in that time, thank you windows update and your annoying popup.
Hey adam, Canadacomputers has the 2gb dual channel kit But with a 30 $ mail in rebate
I'm probably hamstrung till the new year, but thanks for the heads-up Steve :D

Just finishing paying off the new couch, chairs, and washer/dryer this week. *groan*

Oh yeah, and the damn CC too... boooooourns. I hate the end of the month.
anyone know what an fx55 is supposed to idle at ?
I'd say high 30s - mid 40s with the proper cooler installed and good case ventilation... it's sitting there @ 2.6GHz, which isn't peanuts. It depends on the heatsink / fan combo, case cooling and ambient temperature.

Also, download the following utilities:

CPU-Z - cross-reference your CPU revision and voltage being fed to the CPU vs. what AMD says it needs.

SpeedFan - good overall monitor for voltages and temperatures.
^-- useful tools. I always have SpeedFan open. Speaking of which, my CPU is up to 54C (full load) .. I guess my room has gotten pretty hot with the door shut. Normally runs 46-48C heh 6-8C warmer in my room now.

Edit: Remoting in... so I can't open the door.
Its crazy... My case' ambient temp was like 42degrees.. ant he chip was idling at 51 does that sound right. (with the fan on low)
(thermaltake Venus 12)
with the fan on high (too damn loud) it will idle around 43-45

what can i do to decrease the temprature? and less noise. I was thinking of watercooling. but before i do that i want a bigger case.. to move first... because with my luck. someone will hit a pipe and blow up my computer when i'm moving

i was thinking of getting a fan adapter. stepping to a 120mm cpu fan. and running it at a lower speed.

or should i get a different HSF... Thinking either the thermalright
xp120 or xp90

The case is a Thermaltake Xaser 1000...

i'm also thinking of trying out the stock cooler, i have a feeling at idle it will be quieter. but once under load it will get hotter than the thermaltake.
Antec P180 = God

I have one. Great cooling with fans, lots of 120 mm fans. All quiet, though I do recommend replacing the ones that come with it, though I'm still using them They're the Antec Tri-cool fans.

Also check out SilentPCReview.com lots of good information there.

Edit: I should also mention that my friend hated working in the case. He thinks it's horrible and would buy a Lian-Li case next time. I'll admit it is a bit difficult to work in at first, but if you take your time with it, you'll be happy with the results.
I dont plan to switch my case anytime soon though... this one is only 1.5 years old... I'd probably be getting a thermaltake tai chi with the built in water kit next...

but fan or heatsink wise. what would you guys reccomend.
I have 4 Zalmans, great heatsinks. Heavy though, and don't work for everyboard. You'd have to consult their list to see if your board is compatible.

1x Zalman 7000-Cu (About 800g if I recall)
3x Zalman 7700-Cu (these weight in at almost 1 Kg a piece.)
The sad thing is there is almost a 15 degree difference from my last setup.... My 3000+ was idling at 37-40 degrees... 48 under load...

I wanna keep the temps down, but i dont want to sacrafice my sanity. so zalmann might be the only way...
at idle .. my cpu is running at 33°C and at full load its usually around 37-40°

I'm running the intel mobile 1.5ghz chip overclocked to 2.2ghz@1.6v ... i love this chip .. i forget the fan i'm running though

i just need a new mb and i'm all set .. and steves ram would be nice aswell

EDIT: found it .. its the thermaltake Extreme Volcano 12 fan .... 732gm's
I believe I idle around 38C with my overclocked chip, the P180 case, and the Zalman. Of course I never run idle, always running ClimatePrediction.Net
Pages: 1 2 3 4