FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Border Fees
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone know a site where you can figure out how much border duties will cost you. I was wondering how much I was going to pay to order 19" wheels with tires mounted on them from tirerack.com. They are obviously not for my focus before you guys start wondering. The value of the wheels/tires would be about $2300. Is there an easy way to figure it out or what?
No border fees. If they are made in NA they will only collect GST and PST on the value. It is the courier that will ding you for brokerage fees.
meford4u,Nov 29 2005, 05:18 AM Wrote:No border fees.  If they are made in NA they will only collect GST and PST on the value.  It is the courier that will ding you for brokerage fees.
[right][snapback]158220[/snapback][/right]

Times four.

Each wheel will be shipped as a separate item and thus brokered four times.
2001 ZTS,Nov 29 2005, 07:05 AM Wrote:
meford4u,Nov 29 2005, 05:18 AM Wrote:No border fees.  If they are made in NA they will only collect GST and PST on the value.  It is the courier that will ding you for brokerage fees.
[right][snapback]158220[/snapback][/right]

Times four.

Each wheel will be shipped as a separate item and thus brokered four times.
[right][snapback]158222[/snapback][/right]
Correct. DO NOT ship via UPS, you'd be better off buying them here. Their brokerage fees START at $33 each and incrases by item value, based on your $2300 (assuming it's CAD) you'd be looking at over $200 in brokerage fees + taxes.

Bend WAAAAAY over. :angry:
what car is it for?
Only thing I got from the states that hit me hard on brokerage was my suspension. $300USD got me a $60CDN brokerage fee (FedEx) and I heard UPS is even worse......
USPS is the only way to go for something of that size.
NOS2Go4Me,Nov 29 2005, 09:35 AM Wrote:USPS is the only way to go for something of that size.
[right][snapback]158233[/snapback][/right]
The US Postal Service is okay, but Canada Post will also ding you for brokerage fees, and it can take quite a while too.

There is a UPS alternative, which I've done a couple of times, and for something of that value it might be worth doing.

Have the Tirerack send it UPS, but have it sent "hold for pickup" at their Porter Road location in Niagara Falls, New York. Drive down there and pick it up (10 minutes from the border at Lewiston) and then bring them back across the border yourself.

You'll save on cheaper "inside U.S." shipping charges and you won't pay brokerage fees. Balance that against your time and the cost of gas and it might be worth it.
*shrugs* It's Russian Roulette. When I ordered some wedding stuff online ($80 USD worth), we never got nailed with anything... it just showed up as expected.

Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes not.
Last time i ordered something from the states, my Fk Coilovers, i had it shipped by Purolator and the brokerage fees were included in the shipping quote, nothing due on delivery.
UPS is trying to charge me $ 100 again for my alternator. which was shipped under warranty.... I guess i'll be calling them tonight.
Quote:what car is it for?

Well it would be for a BMW.

Quote:Correct. DO NOT ship via UPS, you'd be better off buying them here. Their brokerage fees START at $33 each and incrases by item value, based on your $2300 (assuming it's CAD) you'd be looking at over $200 in brokerage fees + taxes.

Well the same wheels I would order from tirerack.com would cost me $2,286.87 Cdn shipped and if I order from http://www.tiretrends.com in B.C they would be $3,172.53Cdn shipped. Does it seems worth it to order from Canada now?

Quote:No border fees. If they are made in NA they will only collect GST and PST on the value. It is the courier that will ding you for brokerage fees.

Unfortunately these wheels are made in North Korea so there goes that.

This is what they (ASA AR1 in 19"x9"fronts and 19"x9.5" rears) look like:
[Image: DSC05108.jpg]

[Image: DSC05107.jpg]
MAlby7,Nov 29 2005, 04:03 PM Wrote:Unfortunately these wheels are made in North Korea so there goes that. 

Do they contain Plutonium and Kim Jong Il's DNA sequencing? :blink:
NOS2Go4Me,Nov 29 2005, 08:09 PM Wrote:
MAlby7,Nov 29 2005, 04:03 PM Wrote:Unfortunately these wheels are made in North Korea so there goes that. 

Do they contain Plutonium and Kim Jong Il's DNA sequencing? :blink:
[right][snapback]158419[/snapback][/right]
Nope ... quoted from Tirerack's website ...

"In 1990, ASA decided to build a state-of-the-art alloy wheel manufacturing facility. Knowing the complexity and challenge this presented, ASA went to BBS in Germany to tap the best technical knowledge in facility design, manufacturing processes and quality controls for producing high quality alloy wheels. Production began at the new facility in Jeywon, South Korea in March 1992."
So let me get this straight we are debating shipping options and costs for a product destined for a BMW that cost god knows how much?

MAlby7,Nov 29 2005, 04:03 PM Wrote:Well the same wheels I would order from tirerack.com would cost me $2,286.87 Cdn shipped and if I order from http://www.tiretrends.com in B.C they would be $3,172.53Cdn shipped.  Does it seems worth it to order from Canada now?[right][snapback]158356[/snapback][/right]
What I was saying is if you were tirerack was only shipping UPS it might not be worth it.

$2286 / 4= $571 each + GST + PST + IIRC 4% duty (because they're made in N. Korea) + $60 EACH brokerage fee =

$743.81 each x 4 = $ 2975

Not a huge difference.

I would do what ZTWsquared suggested above, pick them up in NY. I've done that before, too.

(Y'know those pics of my collection in the "Was it worth it?" thread? 95% of my collection came from the US. Me and Mr. Brokerage Fee are old friends.)

2001 ZTS,Nov 29 2005, 09:32 PM Wrote:So let me get this straight we are debating shipping options and costs for a product destined for a BMW that cost god knows how much?
[right][snapback]158447[/snapback][/right]

So true. We are discussing about a difference of about $500 which is didly squat when you think of the total cost of a BMW.
If you can't afford the wheels you can't afford the car.
meford4u,Nov 29 2005, 10:23 PM Wrote:So true.  We are discussing about a difference of about $500 which is didly squat when you think of the total cost of a BMW.
If you can't afford the wheels you can't afford the car.
[right][snapback]158458[/snapback][/right]
True, but on the other hand, it's often said that what makes a man rich isn't how much money he makes as much as what little he spends. ;)