FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Toronto Sun - November 27th Edition
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Found the article... just took some digging: http://torontosun.canoe.ca/News/Columnists...26/1325589.html

EDIT - the Michael Coren bit was Saturday, my bad. Here's a link: http://torontosun.canoe.ca/News/Columnists...26/1324363.html
yeah, I'm starting to think that sitting back and waiting for the gangbangers to off themselves is going to take too long.
there is so much i want to say, but dont really know how to say it.

Whats so hard about finding a job that pays, and living a decent/normal life? Wherever you are, whoever you are?

I think alot of this has to do with the judical system, too easy on people. Things were ok when you could smack your kids when they did something wrong or stupid. Now people will egt away with anything.
How about treating ALL Canadians as EQUAL. The victim game has to stop. My own ancestors were conquered peoples, and have survived and there are no ill effects. The history of the world is such.

If there is no employment, why live there? Get an education and get a job. Throwing money at it has to stop. Canada has been bought and paid for many times over.
They want to set up an "Urban Reserve" in Winnipeg, paid for by guess who. Great idea, establish business and employment opportunities. Great idea but, how about the fact that they are Tax exempt ? They claim that they would have to pay user fees, but that does not come out to be equal to what every other citizen and business owner pays.

How about everyone being on the same level? Then we will have harmony , and a Nation that truly respects cultural and racial difference.
TonyDee,Nov 28 2005, 07:33 PM Wrote:How about treating ALL Canadians as EQUAL. The victim game has to stop. My own ancestors were conquered peoples, and have survived and there are no ill effects. The history of the world is such.

If there is no employment, why live there? Get an education and get a job. Throwing money at it has to stop. Canada has been bought and paid for many times over.
They want to set up an "Urban Reserve" in Winnipeg, paid for by guess who. Great idea, establish business and employment opportunities. Great idea but, how about the fact that they are Tax exempt ? They claim that they would have to pay user fees, but that does not come out to be equal to what every other citizen and business owner pays.

How about everyone being on the same level? Then we will have harmony , and a Nation that truly respects cultural and racial difference.
[right][snapback]158078[/snapback][/right]

Not to mention that first nations get FREE education. Man i would be in a totally different place if someone offered me free education. They have no excuse.

And good point about going to where the jobs are... i tell my buddy here is saskatoon, who has a degree in comerce and HR, he always complains he cant find a job. I tell him go to Toronto, and youd find plenty of work. He afraid of change i guess.

People are lazy, and want everyhting handed to them. To stop it, you have to stop handing out, but then again thats what causes the crime.
At least the discussion has been kept civil. Thanks guys :)

I didn't want to come off as a racist, but I truly believe all this secular crap needs to stop. It doesn't matter if it happens in Canada, the US, or anywhere else in the world. It makes for more tension and hostility than understand and acceptance do.

You can't force me to like the fact that our tax dollars are supporting how many reserves all over Canada? I can't remember if it's in The Last Word article or not, but the issue with the reserve that had everyone airlifted out wasn't the quality of the water but rather the fact that the equipment was put in place and noone knew how to run it.

Incompetence isn't ignored simply because the offenders are native. No, incompetence at all levels should be treated the same regardless of your last name or genetic heritage.

We don't need the Jewish secular court that already exists in this country, for that puts religion ahead of justice at the cost of the respect of the rest of Canada. I don't know about you, but my opinions of the Jewish faith in general aren't that lofty when they're allowed to sidestep the Canadian judicial system - no matter how trivial the matter.

I have no love for Sharia law. This is Canada, not the Middle East. We're a democratically-governed society that places equal emphasis on the values of women and the importance of women in society. If you can't hack that, leave. I saw Muslim women being made, in Toronto, to walk behind the men and take care of the children so the father could be able to say he went for a walk with his kids. Rather, he went for a walk and dragged his wife and kids along with him. And that wasn't a one-time occurance, either. If you've ever lived in Weston amongst other places in Toronto, you know what I am talking about.

And this brings me back to North Bay of all places. We have a HUGE, kickass Native Friendship Center of all things. It's ginormous compared to the rest of the buildings on the street. It's an all-in-one tool for the natives in the area to use as they see fit. What does it do most days? Serve lunch and supper to those who just don't think they need to cook for themselves. They have activities there to keep native youth occupied. So does the YMCA. They have sporting days. The YMCA has an entire weight gym, huge pools (yes, plural), and 4-5 sports fields.

The friendship center might cater to the older members of the community, but it has nothing going for it besides fostering the image of divisiveness that the natives in the area embrace so eagerly. I'm not even going into where all the cash came from that built it.

It's one thing to embrace your heritage, and another again to keep the old ways going at home. It's something else entirely to be rubbing your culture in the face of other Canadians each and every day, expect preferential treatment and tax exemptions, and still cry the blues about racial inequality.

My answer to all of that? Get OSAP like the rest of the world whose parents can't afford to send them to college / university, get a higher education after actually making it through high school, and make the world a better place in your own way with the earned respect of your peers.

I've met more than a few very well educated and rather eloquent natives over my time in the north. The common trait? A complete lack of arrogance or standoffishness and a general desire to improve things rationally for "their own people". I can respect that.

Here's the kicker, though. The dark side to the whole "furthering the native cause":

When they were soliciting funds from the communities at large to pay for our new hospital, I saw NO public mention of any contribution being made by any native groups or communities towards the new Regional Health Center. As I'm typing this I'm going to verify that statement, but until I disprove it (or someone else does), that strikes me as rather rude and arrogant. They'll criticize the "white man" all day but they won't invest in a hospital they'll most obviously have no problem using.

My opinion? We're ALL Canadians. The sooner we all start acting like Canadians and less like spoiled brats, the better off we are.
Very well written NOS2Go4ME.

Our society seems to be like spoiled children demanding more from its parents. The government has become the caregivers and problem solvers for all the whinners . Special interest groups plunder resourses and valuable time from what should be more important issues.

The vote of non- confidence only shows how the average Canadian mistrusts our leaders. Canadians listen to all the promises,but we know that they are false, and we accept this.

^^-- except for the improper use of the word secular

since I don't recall this discussion being about religion ;)
But it IS a secular court, as it is for members of the Jewish faith. I was referring to extra advantages being offered to certain Canadians / immigrants (possibly? don't recall) via non-traditional judicial methods. That's one of them ;)
hey adam...you know how you were talking about the people from the native community up north that had to get evacuated...well, you were partialialy right, but things would have also been ok for a lil while longer up there if they would have learned to pick up after themselves. I know this first hand as some of those natives have come to sudbury, as a "offering of comfert" from our city. But the real kicker to this, is that everyone is wanting them to leave. But yea, back to what i was saying...It was told that if they would only learn how to be proper, and take care of what they had, they probably wouldn't be in this situation. It was said that instead of bringing their garbage to the Dump or whereever to dispose of it, they simply tossed their full bags in their back yard. Now i say, not to be rude or racist or anything along those matters, but, if you wanna live like a normal person, and stop being called "Dirty natives" live like a normal person. Now to the people living in sudbury. They are now staying at the travellodge down here, and they have completely destroyed that place. The owners or the hotel want them out, but they are refusing to leave. The other part of it is, that they let their childeren run loose all day. Which caused them to venture into the restaurant, where a friend of mine's girlfriend works, and she has said they have "Dined and dashed" on more than 50 occasions! Now that's rude, especially to the fact that when they do pay for stuff, they don't even have to pay taxes, like WTF! And the other kicker that i found ignorant was that, they were all given tickets for cloathing as they were complaining it was getting cold and they didn't bring their winter clothes, but the tickets they were given were for Wal Mart, Salvation army, and zellers..Now, they didn't think that their clothing was good enough for them, and they wanted straight cash to go to the mall and purchase what they wanted, and where they wanted. That's all i have to say for now, might add later, but sorry if i sound racist or ignorante on this fact, but i had to say it, simply becuase i've lived around natives for my whole life, living in a small community with them, and now over here, where they have come to "vacation" in my mind. And throughout my life, all i've heard from them, was...you guys treat us like sh*t and don't treat us the way you treat your other "white people"..I'm done now :D
^^ :o :o :o

Just adds fuel to my fire, man. If that's legit with evidence, I'd send that s**t to the newspaper and your local MP real quick.
yeah man, the same s**t happens here. Ive never lived in a neighbourhood/city that had a significant number of natives, until i moved to Saskatoon. I totally hear what your saying.

And im part native, SMALL part, but some of these people make me sick they way they go about life.
They do the same thing at the Native-only and public-access low-income housing here in North Bay. I've a feeling it's the same all over.

To pull a Puppet:

How do you love the land you profess to care so much about when you're throwing s**t in your own backyard?