FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Another Focus Bites The Dust :-(
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well it looks like my troubled times with the Focus have finally come to an end..
wrote the car off this weekend while volunteering up at the Tall Pines rally. On my way back to the lodge we were staying at, on a snowy road in the middle of the forest miles from anywhere late at night - a blind-steep-downhill-turn-over-the-crest-of-a-hill, a car that did not seem to want to turn (no snow tires.. just new-this-summer cheapo-performance tires -- dumb dumb dumb), and a slow slide down the hill, straight, and ending with a thump into a sturdy tree.

I'm ok, but the car's not.

---
Long story short:
- demolished the front-left corner of the car where a tree went through it all the way to the suspension.
- so:
demolished the front bumper; driver-side headlight (right appears to be ok); destroyed both foglamps; damaged turn-signal grill, completely destroyed lf fender, inc fender-well; possible damage to driver-side door frame, bent LF suspension (wheel pushed backwards.. not good); possible minor bend to LF rim (may be just that the tire came off the rim slightly); both airbags deployed (it would appear all the sensors were triggered.. $$ from experience), smashed windshield (due to aforementioned airbags), driver's seat belt, and other miscellaneous parts especially on the left side. Add labour, paint, etc to the parts and the result is too f'ing much!

Good news: brand new wiper blades appear to be ok.

By some miracle, a car arrived on the scene within minutes -- this was a quiet road that basically only went to a few cottages and the lodge we were staying at - so the timing was perfect. Ironically, the car contained 2 other rally volunteers who had also both wrecked their own cars eariler in the day. A very expensive weekend, it turned out to be.. and we weren't even rallying.

---

Before you say "PARTS DONOR CAR!".. I am already thinking it.

Based on experience if I was to get it repaired myself, the costs would be much higher than the $7000 that was claime 4 years ago when it was mostly-airbags. This is much worse. I'm already considered 'high-risk' for insurance and cannot face another claim and monthly rates that may reach the $900+ I'd been quoted in the past (I'm already @ $400+ now). So I'm thinking walking away from the car will at least leave me with a soon-to-be-clean insurance record as of next summer. Or I can get a beater now and shouldn't be too bad. But if I make a claim, beater will likely be extortionate..

My problem is that the car is in Bancroft in a towing yard. I already had to pay $350 to have it towed there (thief!) and he quoted an even more ridiculous amount of money to get it home to me here. I'm not on any towing plans..

So do I get it towed here to be parted out (not sure even how I'd go about that.. I don't have anywhere to put the car), or do I just tell the towing guy to take the car to the junk yard?

Or do I ask for the first offer someone will give me to take the car off my hands if they will tow it at their expense?

F***!!
oh man, I want so much crap off a wrecked zx3....
Man that's really too bad - good that you're okay. While you're thinking about what to do, bear in mind the towing yard is probably also charging you an arm and leg for storage.

You may want to think about selling it to a wrecker that's close to where the car is now ... or maybe rent one of those u-haul dolly things and find a friend with a trailer hitch to help you bring it home. Gotta be cheaper than a tow truck.

Good luck.

edit: whoo-hoo! ... 100 posts and it only took me 30 months! [looks around for something to sell]
That's awful. Best of luck for (and if) your getting a new ride. What are you considering? Are you thinking of staying Focus loyal, or switching things up a little?
give me the motor out of it and i'll tow your car down to the GTA for you .. assuming the motor is still in good shape
- Tow guy charges $35/day for storage, which he will waive if he gets to take it to the scrapper. I said I'd let him know within a few days. My dad knows the owners of an 'automobile recycler' here in town and said he'd call him tomorrow to see what he advises on a couple of questions I have.

- Too soon to be considering any car right now - no money allocated to a new(ie: used) car fund, and the kicker is that I've still got a couple of payments left on the Focus :o( (5 years financing with 3 months deferred). I'll be walking/taxing/bussing/etc as needed. My car insurance comes down next summer anyhow, so I'll likely wait. Or beater it (note to self: *snow tires are a must have*).

I really don't think I'd go with a Focus again. Or for a Ford, for that matter. Ford Head office has done nothing but sucked ass in the c/s dept for the 5 years that I've owned the car. In fact longer than that - I had a '89 Ford Probe before the Focus and their c/s sucked then too. Cars are quite decent (when they're not breaking down) but service lets them down.

I should be expected *another* recall letter in the mail next week, is that right?

- 'Zoom' (and anyone else), make a list of things you 'want' and I'll let you know what I can do.

I'll make a list of what I have here at home and what is in good shape on the car..

- 'Schade' - motor is ok ~55,000km, was running after accident with no problems noticed (I was watching temp gauges in case rad was broken, everything normal). I might take you up on that offer - only you'd have to pull the engine yourself (and therefore need somewhere to put the car while you removed it). I should have a better idea in the next day or so.

[Image: DanielB_ZX3_toon.gif]
I'd be interested in the stock passenger mirror if it's power, if not then I don't need it.

But I'm glad to hear your ok and that everyone else was Daniel, it's too bad for the focus, and more so for you as you are not going to claim it on the insurance, but I know what you mean after the insurance company rapes you after claiming something anything on your car with them.
i'd be interested in the stock passenger mirror... if it's not power
Again, car is(was?) an extremely low-km 2000 ZX3, manual transmission.
- Pitch black on grey interior (think interior was actually called "midnight black or maybe even charcoal" but it's dark grey/dark grey with black; can take photo if needed).

(pic of the exterior from 2002 .. before it was lowered.. the camera never did it justice, either)
[Image: db_zx3_rear_090602.jpg]
    Things I currently have here at home<>
  • salvaged Mac intake (inc cone filter, MAF-sensor, bracket, all req tubing and clamps)<>
  • Also have the complete stock airbox &amp; filter here (virtually unused as it was replaced under warranty at the dealer after I noticed it was broken when I went to install my Mac)<>
  • Haynes Repair Manual - 'Ford Focus 2000-2001' - pages are in great condition, covered is good but has 'damp' feel to it - it was in the back of the car for 4 or 5 years.<>
  • 2 (factory) rear passenger floor mats (black). Fronts are still in car in Bancroft; recently cleaned .. All 9/10 condition.<>
  • rear seat-to-trunk seatback (driver's side).. was removed earlier to allow for carrying of long items. (bolts are still in the glove box though)<>
  • stock springs, 25,000km on them, if that?<>
  • stock shocks, -- minus bump-stops (reused and trimmed when I installed aftermarket shocks).

Things on the car that might be worth having, should I decide to part it out (would need somewhere/someone to dismantle it as I don't have anywhere to put the car):<>
  • 1 Wings West 'W-Typ' 3-pc wraparound mid-wing, installed by Ford (was replaced under warranty in 2003); midnight black<>
  • 1 Wings West 'W-Typ' rear valance (rear bumper cover); midnight black; may need to be repainted as I seem to recall noticing flaking around the inner edges of the cutouts.<>
  • 1 Wings West 'W-Typ' *passenger-side-only* side-skirt
    (unfortunately the driver's side somehow snapped in 2 during the crash); midnight black; reccomend repainting (even though it was replaced/repainted under warranty 2 years ago, Ford's paint job sucked monkey balls).<>
  • Engine @ ~55,500km, runs great, never had any issues with motor itself.<>
  • misc under-hood items (alternator, starter, etc .. I don't think much was damaged as it was a LF corner hit)<>
  • stock stereo/CD player (hmm.. might have left one inside, forgot to check!); stock antenna; stock speakers.<>
  • spare tire/jack<>
  • misc interior (cup holders, console, gear shift knob, boots, etc, also hatch shelf)<>
  • exhaust system - AFAIK, in excellent condition;
    - has a 2.5&quot; bolt-on SS exhaust tip, came with the car, Ford installed.. this is still personally my all-time Focus favourite tailpipe design - not a coffee-can but makes an aggressive &amp; stylish statement.<>
  • power mirrors, left &amp; right side - excellent condition.<>
  • rear view mirror (hey windshield is smashed so it shouldn't be hard to remove!)<>
  • power-window motors, etc. (car has power-package)<>
  • passenger door; hatch-door<>
  • rear lens assemblies (L+R) - perfect<>
  • CT Teflon metal winter wiper blades - only installed less than 12hrs earlier!<>
  • dipstick, misc fluid caps, misc resevoirs, etc.<>
  • clutch and gearbox

Items that might be ok, might not be<>
  • 4x CSA 'Ultra' Alloy rims, 5-spoke; 7.5&quot; wide... Ford chosen &amp; installed, came with the car new from dealership. Complained on more than 1 occassion and was told that Ford of Canada 'hand-picked' the rim for the ZX3... (bs)
    ** Front-left needs to be checked .. tire popped slightly off during crash, could not tell if it was bent or if it was just the tire's new placement..
    [i]Note: while I love the look of these rims, they are not the correct offset for the Focus and are therefore a little wide.. was fine with stock suspension but with 1.8&quot; lowering, got rub on wheel arch on big bumps.
    Rims are in fairly good shape, scuffing in a couple of places, slight yellowing (from brake dust?) but nothing that could not be fixed by a wheel shop.<>
  • Progress springs - 1.8&quot; drop f/r
    - front left axle(?) was pushed backwards by tree- would need to check that spring is not damaged. Other 3 no probl, except paint flaking off.<>
  • Spax shocks (Front left side may be damaged, see above)
    - to be honest, I was never 100% satisfied with my setup, probably in part because of my tire-rub/bottoming issue due to too-wide rims. Handled well in the turns but passengers complained it was harsh on bumps. Think it was shocks more than spring issue.<>
    [st]
interested in the exhaust (if you wanna part) and how much are you willing to sell, and will it fit a sedan
As long as you're ok, everything else can be solve.

Parts that I will be buying if the price is right.
Both rear tail arms.
Parts that I maybe interested
Your seats
Interior panel
Power window motor and switch

BTW, whats the size of your tires?
ZTS_DJ,Nov 28 2005, 01:06 AM Wrote:interested in the exhaust (if you wanna part) and how much are you willing to sell, and will it fit a sedan
[right][snapback]157962[/snapback][/right]
I believe they're different for the ZX3 and ZTS
sorry about you luck.

scap it.
Too bad about your car. Good thing your alright &amp; Don't give Ford anymore of your money.
Glad to hear that your okay!!!

Edit: I'll take the mid wing (for the right price) if you decide to part!

Shitty news about the focus ( or is it? :lol: )

Glad to hear your ok.
Well I still claim the passenger power mirror :D ! If you still have the stock boots for the shifter and e-brake I'll take those too if they're black.

pm me with prices and we'll talk daniel.
What do you want for the whole car?
^ I'd be happy with $1500 for the whole thing.
OBO.

I've been making phone calls and am having a difficult time finding somewhere nearby to put the car so I can strip it down to part it out. All of the self-storage places require a car to be operational and no work can be done on them.

Btw, a friend took a few pics:
[Image: DBZX3_PICT1785_sm600.jpg]
http://zx3.miscstuff.cjb.net/DBZX3_PICT1786_sm.jpg
http://zx3.miscstuff.cjb.net/DBZX3_PICT1788_sm.jpg
http://zx3.miscstuff.cjb.net/DBZX3_PICT1787_sm.jpg
DanielB_ZX3,Nov 28 2005, 01:03 PM Wrote:
ZTS_DJ,Nov 28 2005, 01:06 AM Wrote:interested in the exhaust (if you wanna part) and how much are you willing to sell, and will it fit a sedan
[right][snapback]157962[/snapback][/right]
I believe they're different for the ZX3 and ZTS
[right][snapback]158038[/snapback][/right]

i don't believe that the zx3 exhaust fits the sedan, but i might be wrong..and holy shitters daniel, i'm surprised nobody was hurt :blink:
Pages: 1 2