FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Front Wheel Stud Broken
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I broke one today putting on my winter tires. Is it an expensive fix? I want someone else to do this, I don't have the tools/garage to do this myself.

1. How much does ford charge for something like this? (Approx that is)

2. Has anyone had to get one replaced?

3. How long does it take? I have things to do and I need this done asap.

Post up boys. Thanks in advance.
ZOOM,Nov 24 2005, 12:33 AM Wrote:I broke one today putting on my winter tires. Is it an expensive fix? I want someone else to do this, I don't have the tools/garage to do this myself.

1. How much does ford charge for something like this? (Approx that is)

2. Has anyone had to get one replaced?

3. How long does it take? I have things to do and I need this done asap.

Post up boys. Thanks in advance.
[right][snapback]157430[/snapback][/right]
I'm guessing the dealership will charge you between .5 to an hour + the stud. $100 to $120

Just do it yourself, it's easy. You need a hammer and a johnson bar, a punch or a bolt to drive out the old stud, a new stud, a couple of spare lug nuts and some washers to press (pull) the new stud in.

Here are the directions:
http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=44

The even if you buy the johnson bar, washers, nuts, and punch you'll save nearly $100.
take it to your mechanic, they'll most likely just do it while it's off the ground...like 20 bucks. 120+ are you crazy?
ford wants about 100 bucks. Muffler man same sorta thing. They all claim the front is pretty easy, but it is just hte time that it takes to get everything off.
I'd go to Ford over another shop if it's all the same price and you don't have the time / tools to do it yourself. Just my 2 cents.
I don't know what it is witht he studs on the focus .. but there all s**t ... i've had 4 break on me in the 1.5 years i've owned the car

it is a very easy job to do, i'd do it for ya if you were closer to barrie .. but without the tools/shop space .. your best bet is probably a dealer, or a tire/wheel shop.
residentdud,Nov 24 2005, 02:23 PM Wrote:120+ are you crazy?
[right][snapback]157562[/snapback][/right]

ZOOM,Nov 24 2005, 12:33 AM Wrote:1. How much does ford charge for something like this? (Approx that is) [right][snapback]157430[/snapback][/right]

OAC_Sparky,Nov 24 2005, 12:48 AM Wrote:I'm guessing the dealership will charge you between .5 to an hour + the stud.

$100 to $120[right][snapback]157433[/snapback][/right]

Please follow along, dude.
try to become friends with your mechanic....that alone will save you hundreds.
I've had both cases the first one I broke I didn't relize how easy it was to fix and took it to ford they charged $40.

I've done both the front and rears myself. The front are extremely easy, the rears (drums) are a bit of a pita, but not that bad.
residentdud,Nov 24 2005, 09:21 PM Wrote:try to become friends with your mechanic....that alone will save you hundreds.
[right][snapback]157628[/snapback][/right]

i buy him car parts :D