FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ftc Considering Warning Stickers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
FTC considering warning stickers for used Chrysler vehicles
07/08/2009,
Source: leftlanenews

If several consumer groups have their way, used Chrysler vehicle could soon come with a warning sticker. Under the terms of its Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing, Chrysler shed its liability for any defective vehicles produced before May 30th, potentially putting thousands of consumers at risk.

After fielding several petitions, the Federal Trade Commission is now reviewing a plan that would require every Chrysler vehicle made before May 30th to carry a sticker warning consumers that Chrysler cannot be held liable for product defects, even if the defect results in personal injury. About 30 million used Chrysler vehicles have lost liability protection previously afforded by state laws, according to Automotive News.

“In Chrysler’s bankruptcy, the ability to form a new company free from the product liability burden of the old company was essential to the new company’s survival,” Chrysler spokesman Michael Palese said in an e-mail to Automotive News. “This is not an issue involving an identified potential safety issue with these vehicles, nor do petitioners claim to have uncovered a systemic defect that requires disclosure.”

The petition claims the buyer of a used Chrysler vehicle could be on the hook for “millions of dollars in medical expenses, hundreds of thousands of dollars in lost income and other losses — with no possibility of recompense — even if their injury was clearly Chrysler’s fault”.

The FTC has yet to decide if it will move forward with the case, but any law regarding used Chrysler vehicles would take about a year to officially hit the books.
Not sure I'd take even the smallest risk buying an older Chrysler if this is the case -- there's plenty of great cars out there that you won't get pooched over if something bad happens on the company's watch.

They should make the CEOs liable for anything that happens with cars built during the period they ran the company into the ground.
Yet another instance of the easiest way to spell Chrysler: FAIL.
Man, as if the resale values of Chryco. products wasn't low enough...

Woe unto the poor sod that bought a Challenger before the bankruptcy filing :ph34r:

NefCanuck
My Co-Worker bought an 06 300C Signature about a month ago, my cousin bought an Avenger SXT or R/T, and one of our friends just bought a Nitro...

Sucks to be them (even though the "Fire Sale" pricing of Cryco vehicles is pretty tempting for a lot of people)...
my mechanic refuses to work on domestics now. He just did a 300 for a freind of his and nobody makes the tie rods for it anymore and no one knows when they will be back in stock. So it sits....waiting for new tie rods.
That 10 foot pole is getting longer. Not going to touch a Chryco, ever.
My neighbour just went from a 2000 neon to a 2010 F-150 platnium edition. Polishes it everyday and we keep telling him its not going to get any blacker.
I bet he is feeling the A$$ Rapeage at the gas pump. I bet he wishes he had the Neon back. LOL
Focus man, Focus.,Jul 13 2009, 04:07 PM Wrote:That 10 foot pole is getting longer.  Not going to touch a Chryco, ever.
[right][snapback]290953[/snapback][/right]

If Chrysler had any hope of selling me a vehicle ever they lost it last year when they threatened to pull out of Canada if taxpayers didn't bail them out.

As much as I've been dismayed regularly by Ford's product decisions it's pretty clear they been the best domestic manufacturer over the past decade.

Having said that, it's also a shame right now that Ford Canada has walked away from the leasing business.

Do a build and price on Ford's website and they don't even offer a lease payment. My brother, who I turned into a Ford customer 6 vehicles ago, is now contemplating a Highlander because Ford won't offer him a reasonable lease deal on a Flex

Right now Toyota's lease rates are good but not great at 4.9% ... but bottom-line he can lease a 50k Highlander for less than a 44k Flex - and sorry Ford of Canada, that's not even a close call.