FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: My Fuel Economy Sucks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hey guys 2 days ago i filled up my tank, and today its at halff a tank. what should i do to boost up my fuel economy, fuel stabilizer or a fuel injector cleaner
What kind of driving are you doing? Better yet, how far have you gone?

Mileage?

I mean, I can get at least 100KMs per 10L in town, sometimes less if I have a lead foot... and yet I can draw it out if I take it easy.

Are you tracking the KMs via the trip odometer? That would be a good place to start. Remember, every "tick" on the gas gauge is 10L, not really a quarter tank physically (12.5L / quarter tank).
NOS2Go4Me,Nov 17 2005, 06:55 PM Wrote:Are you tracking the KMs via the trip odometer? That would be a good place to start. Remember, every "tick" on the gas gauge is 10L, not really a quarter tank physically (12.5L / quarter tank).
[right][snapback]156517[/snapback][/right]

I don't think thats true .. unless ofcourse the gas tank is a perfect rectangle/square ... otherwise the top 1/4 of the tank is usually the biggest

i usually get 130-150km for the first 1/4 tank .. then about 100-115 thereafter

ontopic: .. change your fuel filter, aswell as some fuel injecter cleaner .. that should help you out

and new plugs even
wow...dude, that sucks, especially with gas prices. But, dont listen to me, just wanting to ask/inform. What about that "Nos" stuff you put in your gas tank? Would that help at all?
schade,Nov 17 2005, 07:22 PM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Nov 17 2005, 06:55 PM Wrote:Are you tracking the KMs via the trip odometer? That would be a good place to start. Remember, every "tick" on the gas gauge is 10L, not really a quarter tank physically (12.5L / quarter tank).
[right][snapback]156517[/snapback][/right]

I don't think thats true .. unless ofcourse the gas tank is a perfect rectangle/square ... otherwise the top 1/4 of the tank is usually the biggest

i usually get 130-150km for the first 1/4 tank .. then about 100-115 thereafter

ontopic: .. change your fuel filter, aswell as some fuel injecter cleaner .. that should help you out

and new plugs even
[right][snapback]156521[/snapback][/right]

The very top of the tank (and indicated 3/4 to full) is a tad bigger, maybe 2L more then.

Either way, the most I've ever squeezed into the tank when the light first comes on is 41L.

Just going off what I've done :)
ZTS_DJ,Nov 17 2005, 07:36 PM Wrote:hey guys 2 days ago i filled up my tank, and today its at halff a tank. what should i do to boost up my fuel economy, fuel stabilizer or a fuel injector cleaner
[right][snapback]156514[/snapback][/right]

Check tire pressure. Make sure its as indicated on the tire itself.

Clean the air filter. Make sure your air filter is replaced regularly. If it is a K&N, wash it with the precharger kit.

Fuel injector cleaner is good, just run a bottle with a good full tank to help out. I use the STP stuff at Crappy Trash.

Check your catalytic converter to see if its blocked. You may have to bring it to a shop to be checked out.

High output audio systems can put a massive drain on the alternator and fuel economy. Unplug the system and you may see some improvement. (This item is debatable)

Install a UDP. That will surely help in the fuel economy department.

Make sure your plug wires and plugs are running good. Replace them if they're bad with Motorcraft plugs and wires (or any good wires like Screamin Demon coil and livewires).

Remove any excess baggage in your trunk. For every 100lbs added to your car, you will probably lose around 1mpg.

Change your driving habits, take it easy on the throttle when starting from a stop.

There are a few other things to check but this covers most of the problems.
smith21,Nov 17 2005, 09:26 PM Wrote:wow...dude, that sucks, especially with gas prices. But, dont listen to me, just wanting to ask/inform. What about that "Nos"  stuff you put in your gas tank? Would that help at all?
[right][snapback]156528[/snapback][/right]

Are you talking about octane booster? IMO that would do nothing to improve fuel economy. Essentially higher octane prevents engine knock/pre-ignition on high compression engines/FI. It doesn't do anything else really.
You want bad fuel economy? Try driving my car. I get about 375 km's to a full tank of premium for city driving. The only saving grace is that I get the premium at the same price as regular.
^^ That's not so bad. I can get into that if I misbehave quite a bit.
1st o2 sensor. The culprit for many things on the focus.
Could also be a dirty MAF, clogged fuel filter.

Some one may have mentioned those above but Im to lazy to read.

90% is the o2 sensor becuase they suck..

Then again could just be a injector. Pick up some injector cleaner for $4 and give it a whirl.
Oscar The Grouch,Nov 18 2005, 09:39 AM Wrote:
ZTS_DJ,Nov 17 2005, 07:36 PM Wrote:hey guys 2 days ago i filled up my tank, and today its at halff a tank. what should i do to boost up my fuel economy, fuel stabilizer or a fuel injector cleaner
[right][snapback]156514[/snapback][/right]
High output audio systems can put a massive drain on the alternator and fuel economy. Unplug the system and you may see some improvement. (This item is debatable)

Install a UDP. That will surely help in the fuel economy department.

Make sure your plug wires and plugs are running good. Replace them if they're bad with Motorcraft plugs and wires (or any good wires like Screamin Demon coil and livewires).
[right][snapback]156571[/snapback][/right]

He doesn't need fancy wires to fix the problem. A simple wire test will do. The stock plugs and OEM replacement 8mm wires are a great match for a stock car and will yield the expected performance and economy needed.

UDP? What will that do for mileage if he has engine issues? This should only be considered after addressing the core issues of parts and performance at stock levels. It may add some kick to his engine, but if it's not right then we've just swept the issues under the rug.

Unplug the stereo? You're kidding, right? You'd have to be driving around with the system pouding at high levels 24/7 to cause that kind of mileage deficiency, or have speaker boxes made of lead and concrete.

I haven't talked about the rest because you're correct on those points.

And as for earlier, I don't see what NOT logging fuel usage between fill-ups will do to help the guy.

That's like going into the doctor's office and going "My leg hurts."

"When does it hurt and how much? How does it feel?"

"It hurts... sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't. I don't know."

See what I mean? Ford will ask the same questions. At least the numbers will let you do quick math to see what your consumption is and what your fuel economy is.
NOS2Go4Me,Nov 18 2005, 03:06 PM Wrote:He doesn't need fancy wires to fix the problem. A simple wire test will do. The stock plugs and OEM replacement 8mm wires are a great match for a stock car and will yield the expected performance and economy needed.

UDP? What will that do for mileage if he has engine issues? This should only be considered after addressing the core issues of parts and performance at stock levels. It may add some kick to his engine, but if it's not right then we've just swept the issues under the rug.

Unplug the stereo? You're kidding, right? You'd have to be driving around with the system pouding at high levels 24/7 to cause that kind of mileage deficiency, or have speaker boxes made of lead and concrete.

And as for earlier, I don't see what NOT logging fuel usage between fill-ups will do to help the guy.

See what I mean? Ford will ask the same questions. At least the numbers will let you do quick math to see what your consumption is and what your fuel economy is.
[right][snapback]156628[/snapback][/right]

Screw it. Fack. I'm not going to start an argument now. I'm pissed off enough as it is.
Oscar The Grouch,Nov 18 2005, 02:27 PM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Nov 18 2005, 03:06 PM Wrote:He doesn't need fancy wires to fix the problem. A simple wire test will do. The stock plugs and OEM replacement 8mm wires are a great match for a stock car and will yield the expected performance and economy needed.

[right][snapback]156628[/snapback][/right]

Screw it. Fack. I'm not going to start an argument now. I'm pissed off enough as it is.
[right][snapback]156631[/snapback][/right]

Right. Hmm.
Just got get the 1st o2 sensor replaced. Besides it a good idea to replace them and the fuel filter every year or 2 or depending how much driving you do.

Start with the easiest stuff. Do you have a CEL? If not your 1st o2 may just be contaminated like mine was and I never did get a CEL.

With a 4-1 race header, intake, udp, 65mm tb, full exahust with flex, sct tune for 91octane and with my stock 15s on I hit 650km before the engine light came on and thats hwy. City I get around 450

You could always just take it to a dealor.
need more details of how far you went/how you drove getting there...