FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Toyota's Exports Will Set North American Record
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
JAMES B. TREECE | Automotive News
Posted Date: 11/14/05

TOKYO -- As Toyota Motor Corp. cranks up its North American factories, it will reduce exports from Japan, right?

Wrong. Toyota is pushing its exports to new highs, and North America is the prime target.

In the current fiscal year ending March 31, 2006, Toyota expects to export 1.04 million vehicles to the United States, Canada and Mexico, up more than 20 percent from a year earlier. That's a record. Toyota's annual exports to North America have never topped 1 million units.

"Demand has been stronger than expected," says Takeshi Suzuki, Toyota's senior managing director in charge of the finance and accounting group. "It's not proper for us to keep customers waiting. So we have expanded capacity both at home and abroad."

Toyota, ever mindful of its image in America, is boosting imports as it touts itself as an all-American company.

"We are proud to be an integrated part of the American economy and integral partner to the communities where we do business," Dennis Cuneo, senior vice president of Toyota Motor North America, said in August.

Actually, Toyota has kept the ratio of imports to total U.S. sales steady in recent years. In 2000, imports accounted for 38.4 percent of U.S. sales. This year through October they accounted for 37.9 percent.

Other Japanese carmakers are not joining Toyota's export drive. This fiscal year, Nissan Motor Co.'s exports to North America are down. Honda Motor Co.'s are up, but well below the peak set in 2000.

Toyota ships all Scion and Lexus vehicles from Japan except the Lexus RX 330 SUV, which is built in Canada.

Among the major Toyota-brand vehicles exported to the United States are the Toyota Prius, 4Runner, Highlander, Land Cruiser and RAV4.

Big push in North America

Meanwhile, Toyota keeps expanding its existing North American plants. It will open an assembly plant in San Antonio in late 2006 to produce the Toyota Tundra pickup, and it will boost transmission output in West Virginia.

Toyota predicts its North American sales this fiscal year will jump 12.3 percent to a record 2.55 million units.

Opening and expanding factories is expensive.

This fiscal year Toyota will spend $11.93 billion around the world on new plants and equipment. Of that, $7.16 billion will be spent in Japan and $2.13 billion in North American plants.

By comparison, General Motors will spend $8 billion on plants and equipment this year, and last year Ford Motor Co. spent $6.3 billion.

Toyota's capital expenditures are so large that they cut sharply into the automaker's profits for the six months ending Sept. 30.

To support its export surge, Toyota is adding production capacity in Japan. The company's assembly plants in Japan export slightly more than half of their output.

Toyota also is building more cars and trucks in North America. Output at its existing North American plants is up 6.2 percent this year, according to the Automotive News Data Center. But the automaker can't keep up.

Toyota's sales surge in North America and other regions is expected to lift the company's worldwide sales 8.4 percent this fiscal year to 8.03 million units. Many analysts expect Toyota to pass General Motors as the world's top-selling automaker in the next few years. GM produced 8.7 million vehicles worldwide in 2004.

Not done yet

Toyota is adding production capacity relentlessly.

The company's philosophy is to build vehicles in regions where demand exists. So the company plans to double annual vehicle production outside Japan to 5 million units, Toyota President Katsuaki Watanabe wrote in the company's latest annual report.

Production in Japan, he wrote, "will support overseas manufacturing by absorbing fluctuations in global demand."

He added: "In our view, stagnation is synonymous with retreat; the outlook is bleak for any company that cannot sustain growth.

"Make no mistake, Toyota is bursting with energy and its appetite for growth is truly insatiable."
"Demand has been stronger than expected," says Takeshi Suzuki, Toyota's senior managing director in charge of the finance and accounting group

haha, guy's last name is Suzuki and works with Toyota, i guess its like having Mr.rogers work as a GM for Bell Canada :)

sorry, i just think its bit ironic.
mo_focus,Nov 17 2005, 03:50 PM Wrote:"Demand has been stronger than expected," says Takeshi Suzuki, Toyota's senior managing director in charge of the finance and accounting group

haha, guy's last name is Suzuki and works with Toyota, i guess its like having Mr.rogers work as a GM for Bell Canada :)

sorry, i just think its bit ironic.
[right][snapback]156480[/snapback][/right]

Yeah..and if you add a 't' on the end of his first name it would say Take s**t Suzuki ...makes them sound like pushovers!!!
I've said it before in many threads the last year or so and will again; Toyota is hell bent on world domination.
2001 ZTS,Nov 18 2005, 07:32 PM Wrote:I've said it before in many threads the last year or so and will again; Toyota is hell bent on world domination.
[right][snapback]156670[/snapback][/right]
yeah, wow
so has everyone else

Toyota's are ghey :ph34r: :o :lol: :P
Toyota=Boooring...family car, no character, another "gotta get one coz all the neighbours got one" blah blah blah...

Drivesthebeast,Nov 19 2005, 09:17 AM Wrote:Toyota=Boooring...family car, no character, another "gotta get one coz all the neighbours got one" blah blah blah...
[right][snapback]156716[/snapback][/right]

LOL that's what my neighbors are doing with the focus I'm finding since I moved to the new address a year ago 4 people in the neighborhood bought focuses, there's a silver Sport SE, a black SE SPI, and a white ZTW round the corner. and a blue ZX5 just at the end of my street.
Drivesthebeast,Nov 19 2005, 09:17 AM Wrote:Toyota=Boooring...family car, no character, another "gotta get one coz all the neighbours got one" blah blah blah...
[right][snapback]156716[/snapback][/right]

Funny thing is my dad just picked up a Matrix, he's gonna be 65 in December... he just looks so wrong driving that thing (The Matrix being the only Toyota they sell in Canada that has a shred of personality :rolleyes: )

NefCanuck
crazikev,Nov 19 2005, 01:16 AM Wrote:
2001 ZTS,Nov 18 2005, 07:32 PM Wrote:I've said it before in many threads the last year or so and will again; Toyota is hell bent on world domination.
yeah, wow
so has everyone else

[right][snapback]156701[/snapback][/right]

Perhaps I was not clear. When I say "hell bent" what I meant was Toyota will buy out Ford on their path to beat GM.
2001 ZTS,Nov 19 2005, 11:48 PM Wrote:
crazikev,Nov 19 2005, 01:16 AM Wrote:
yeah, wow
so has everyone else

[right][snapback]156701[/snapback][/right]

Perhaps I was not clear. When I say "hell bent" what I meant was Toyota will buy out Ford on their path to beat GM.
[right][snapback]156790[/snapback][/right]

If Toyota buys Ford.. TOyota will have some character. Unless they are so stubborn with the blandness. I agree Toyotas are so boring. I'm falling asleep driving my car. Dead realiable and fuel efficient though.. Fit and finish is also great..
It will be a cold day in bloddy hell when the ford family sells ford to toyota ;) The ford family owns the controlling share in the company.
well I guess if you make a good reliable car then I do suppose you will sell more than the other guys that just pump out cars first and quality is an after thought.

Toyota's a generally boring esthetically but unsurpassed in reliablity. Does anyone else agree with me that the overseas car manufacters dominate the small car sales and quality while domestic manufacters are great with their larger cars and trucks?
nass,Feb 4 2006, 10:13 AM Wrote:Does anyone else agree with me that the overseas car manufacters dominate the small car sales and quality while domestic manufacters are great with their larger cars and trucks?
[right][snapback]168403[/snapback][/right]
Most of the population of North America. And until the big 3 figure out how to make high-quality, desirable small cars profitably -- it will stay that way.
Is it only me that sees Toyota and the recent influx of imigrants from asia and the middle east and another reason why Toyota is just hammering the domestic auto manufacturers. Think about it if you come from an Asian country and all you've ever owned or heard good things about is Toyota and then you arrive here and can finally afford a car what are you going to buy? You basically buy what you know and in those countrys it ussually amounts to Toyota.

And to prove my point here is a video from Top Gear illustrating my point.
Top Gear Trashes a Toyota Pick Up

Laterz :)

PS: if Toyota does buy Ford and if they can change the attitude of there dealers I just might buy a Ford again.
After watching that video... well as unbeleivable as it is, that just proves the engine can be started, and it'll move. I'd like to see they do that to a Ranger now. The European one must be as strong if not stronger than that Toyota counterpart. :D
Or better yet, the entire North American lineup of full sized and compacts.

Found this link today... thought it might be interesting to view.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f150/truth/

K_OS,Feb 4 2006, 05:35 PM Wrote:Is it only me that sees Toyota and the recent influx of imigrants from asia and the middle east and another reason why Toyota is just hammering the domestic auto manufacturers. Think about it if you come from an Asian country and all you've ever owned or heard good things about is Toyota and then you arrive here and can finally afford a car what are you going to buy? You basically buy what you know and in those countrys it ussually amounts to Toyota.

And to prove my point here is a video from Top Gear illustrating my point.
Top Gear Trashes a Toyota Pick Up

Laterz :)

PS: if Toyota does buy Ford and if they can change the attitude of there dealers I just might buy a Ford again.
[right][snapback]168461[/snapback][/right]