FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Should I, Or Shouldn't I?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, well, here it is.

I have an 05 Focus, zx5, ses. I love the car, dont get me wrong, but lately I have begun to see the need for a larger vehicle. Even though I can fit a lot of stuff in the Focus, I am having a hard time fitting everything I need to in there. And with big moving plans coming up soon, I am worried about having to make two, maybe even three long, long trips to get everything over there (uni in the states). If this was a one time thing I would be fine renting something, but unfortunately this looks like it could happen more often (soccer scholarship, probably move around schools).

I went to see a family friend at a dealer today about getting a Ranger. He told me he could give me 15,995 for the Focus, as a favour. He said the best Ranger he could get me for what I want to do would be 02, 70k, loaded. Now I was a bit shocked at this, but I want a straight up trade, keys for keys. So we're conversing pros and cons, and you know admittedly, a truck seems like it could fit my life better, but at the same time, I have a paid off 05 Focus (paid it off myself).

I'm really stuck on what I should do. I know the logical option would be to keep the focus, but i'm starting to see the need for a truck. I am going to start doing a lot of haughling in the upcoming year, and I know for a fact that the focus couldn't do it the way a truck would.

I know that I am only 17, and you older guys are probably saying "he is officialy nuts, typical stereotype" but I am just trying to look ahead. I am really stuck on what I should do. I want a truck, and maybe I am just trying to justify a truck, but at the same time, I know I have a need for one.

Nothing is written in stone, my dealership is getting the truck in tomorow and I will have a look at it. In the meantime, what do you guys have to say? I dont want to go into next year and say to myself "should have gotten the truck", because the focus will have lost a lot of value by then. I paid 22k, taxes in, so I will be loosing 6k on the deal. But will I save myself a headache? Or will I regret it terribly? I am coming to you guys because some of you have first hand experience in a similar situation, but all of you give good advice.
Get a hitch installed on your focus and get a trailer for it. A removable one, that way you can keep the focus and have a trailer for when you move.
I would but the weight of what I would tow goes far beyond what Ford recommends the Focus 'should' tow. Even then, the question comes, should the Focus tow anything at all?
Random Hero,Nov 15 2005, 07:37 PM Wrote:I would but the weight of what I would tow goes far beyond what Ford recommends the Focus 'should' tow. Even then, the question comes, should the Focus tow anything at all?
[right][snapback]156143[/snapback][/right]

this is up for debate.

I've seen focus wagons tow camping trailers. My father tows all his tools with his Jetta, and hasny had any problems. I know theres a few here that have towed stuff like Jet skis and s**t with their focus.....
Another thing to consider is frankly obvious. The Focus has a full warranty on it, what kind of warranty will the '02 Ranger have left? (If anything) what condition will the truck be in? I'd say you'd be better off keeping the Focus and as necessary getting help to move stuff, believe me I feel your pain though, there are so many times I wish I had a truck but then I look at all the downsides of a truck and the Focus comes out smelling like a rose...

NefCanuck
So far there are good points on both sides, but other things you should be factoring in too like:

How much driving do you really do?
What would be the cost to you at the pump for both the Focus / Ranger?
How many passengers do you have in your car at any given point in time?
Is the ranger capible of seating 4 friends or just one?
How many people will be hassling you down the road to help them move because you own a truck?
Dose it come with a cap?
Was the truck abused, and how relible is it?
Is the truck upto date on it's recalls if there are any?
Was the truck in an accident before?
Which is cheaper on insurance?
How much down time is the truck not going to be used for towing / hauling stuff ?
Is the truck 4x4 ?

you really have to think about everything when it comes down to it, it's why I'm thinking of getting a wagon after my current focus is paid off, because of the ammount of passengers I always have in my car.
If you are 17, have an 05' focus paid off, and its obviously under warranty still..I'd rent a u-haul or similiar...do you move and keep the focus! Seriously man, even if you bounce around and move and such....pay the money to rent a truck, uhaul...etc when you need it and enjoy having no payments on a good reliable car that you like, and probably deep down ..dont wanna part with!

Good luck man!
How much driving do you really do? Well, I've had the car for about 8 and a half months and have 11k
What would be the cost to you at the pump for both the Focus / Ranger? havent figured that out yet, but I know it would be quite a difference
How many passengers do you have in your car at any given point in time? usually just one, two max
Is the ranger capible of seating 4 friends or just one?well it says 5, but it would probably seat 3 comfortably
How many people will be hassling you down the road to help them move because you own a truck? well enough people try and bum a ride off of me now, so I will guess a lot :lol:
Dose it come with a cap?
Was the truck abused, and how relible is it?
Is the truck upto date on it's recalls if there are any?
Was the truck in an accident before?
I havent seen the Truck yet, and my dealership hasn't run all the checks yet. I am going to see it tomorow night and talk to the family friend about it, and he will show me everything. If I see something I dont like, I am walking.
Which is cheaper on insurance? Ranger
How much down time is the truck not going to be used for towing / hauling stuff ? Not too sure about this, but my family does haughling aside from what I do and my dad is considering trading in his lariat for a gt, so we may need it
Is the truck 4x4 ? I believe its 4x4, i'll have to get back to you guys though

Gah, such a tough decision. Thanks for the comments guys, and please keep them comming! :)
I'd keep the car. You're established with a great car, as the primary and first owner. I owned a Ranger before I got my Focus, an 03 4.0L EDGE 4x2; it had decent gas mileage, but in the long run I realized it was not worth it as a daily driver, ESPECIALLY compared to the Focus. I helped family move, I helped friends move, and it was still kept immaculate day in and day out. But the point is, you'll always have people coming to you for help moving crap... no matter how show like the truck is. Bite the bullet, rent a cube van if necessary...

Good luck on your choice.
Random Hero,Nov 15 2005, 07:37 PM Wrote:I would but the weight of what I would tow goes far beyond what Ford recommends the Focus 'should' tow. Even then, the question comes, should the Focus tow anything at all?
[right][snapback]156143[/snapback][/right]
The Focus is indeed rated for towing (1,000 lbs IIRC) and i've put a hitch on all my Focus and can heartily recommend it. I've done moves and used my trailer for hauling stuff to the cottage and for woodworking. Additionally, buy a rack and it's also a great way to haul bikes.

One consideration might be the availability of a hitch. Hidden Hitch for example has one for the sedan and one for the wagon, but not for ZX3 or 5.

keys for keys???

Are you nuts?

Dealers don't work that way....They CAN'T work that way. They don't want cars ON the lot.

try and find someone to buy the focus and start shopping.
No one in their right mind would do a straight trade of a 2005 Focus for a 2002 Ranger. The base price of a Ranger is only a little more than the base price of a Focus.
ZTWsugardaddy,Nov 16 2005, 06:02 PM Wrote:No one in their right mind would do a straight trade of a 2005 Focus for a 2002 Ranger.  The base price of a Ranger is only a little more than the base price of a Focus.
[right][snapback]156314[/snapback][/right]

Im maybe looking for a new Ranger. The big one that you can seat two people behind you...no confortable..but people can still seat there.
Update: I have decided that if I can get an 03 or 04 for my car + 2 grand I will do it. I am going to go talk to my dealer and see what he can show me.

I have been looking through what trucks GTA dealerships have, and for about 2k more I can get an 03 or 04 edge, 4L v6, 4x4, loaded, 30-50k