FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Best Place To Get Oil Change
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It seems like quite a few people change their own oil. I'm thinking of doing the same thing :)

How much oil do I need to top it up? 5w-20 of course.
thx thx
0-20 is better for cold-weather starting anyways.... i'd rather use that than 5-20.

The only reason I don't change mine anymore is since i've moved, I have no way of easily disposing of the used oil. Finding oil recycling places around here are a pain.
Mobil 1 0W 20 eh? Hmmmm i should find out from ford dealership just to make sure mobil 1 0w 20 does in fact replace ford and honda 5 w 20s.
it does replace it .. i believe it even says so on the Bottle of Mobil
what? no body thinks $20 is a good deal from ford?
wrcfocus,Nov 16 2005, 10:07 AM Wrote:It seems like quite a few people change their own oil. I'm thinking of doing the same thing :)

How much oil do I need to top it up? 5w-20 of course.
thx thx
[right][snapback]156199[/snapback][/right]
If you have to ask, perhaps you should just keep taking it in for oil changes :P
My wife makes me take her car to the dealer, don't ask me why she likes me paying $35. Some people are in the warranty fear that if they don't get ford to change their oil they won't get warranty.

Like the expensive stuff breaks under warranty anyway :P Out of all the cars i've owned everything thats worn/broke has always been "not covered".

* thats where I am now typing this message...at least they got internet to surf while I wait.
I just read that the 5w-20 oil while it may yield slighty better gas mileage (1%) it shortens the life of the engine!

They said that if you are leasing a car, then go ahead and use 5w-20 but if you are buying and planning on keeping it, then use 5w-30 for longer engine life.

Is this true that 5w-20 actually is not really good for ur engine's longevity and that i should use 5w-30 ??

How does mobil 1's 0w-20 match up? Mobil 1 claims to keep engine life running longer (no wear even after 100,00 miles).

paolo,Dec 6 2005, 10:20 PM Wrote:what? no body thinks $20 is a good deal from ford?
[right][snapback]159723[/snapback][/right]

I still get staff pricing at the dealership, oil change on the focus plus their point inspection, etc (basically an upgraded oil change package from just a typical lube, oil and filter) is around $28.00 for me. I believe it retails for $35.00 or something to that extent.
When I got into my car today there was a giant grease turd on the seat!! $%$#@

I didn't notice it cuz I'm oblivious to these things but when the wife got in her car she saw it right away....ended up getting the oil change for free but theres still a spot on the wifes seat. :rolleyes:
Wow... that sucks Kev.

I've never had an issue, and I know for a fact my #1 service including an oil change comes out under 35 with taxes in.

I'll go check my last receipt at lunch.
Dealers do mine. If in Waterloo, it's Parkway Ford. Mississauga - Dixie Ford. Scarborough - Donway Ford.

Most dealerships will charge around $35 for "Maintenance 1". That includes the oil/filter, and the usual inspection items, washer fluid top-up, and lubrication of hinges and such. However, I do suggest before you go in for an oil change you load up on washer fluid. If you're low, you'll get charged $4 for a bottle, and then add in the environmental disposal fee. So, typical retail price with tax is about $45.

So...if people do the math, that's easily $500 in oil changes a year for me :(

As for longevity and stuff, I just say use what the manufacturer recommended - no matter if it's Ford, GM, Toyota, BMW. The best thing is doing the recommended changes and fixing problems when they creep up.
um...who the F**K...takes their car in for an oil change? holy s**t....get yer heads outta your asses, stick yer head under your car...and do it yourself.

I hear alot of talk "oh man, i dropped my car like 2 inches", " i just got a sick turbo and man it screams" or even "I just got my new exhaust, sounds sweet"

then i hear, "where can i get my oil changed".....HUH??? what you got all this s**t on your car, but you dont' wanna get yer hands dirty ??? People, if you wanna put s**t on your car, then do it...don't pay some schmuck to do it for you....that takes all the fun outta "YOUR" project. I will agree that some jobs are somewhat difficult without the right tools...but for the majority you can do it yourself...

venting session terminated
carry on with what you were doing
nothing to see here
Slimsride,Dec 11 2005, 03:33 AM Wrote:um...who the F**K...takes their car in for an oil change?  holy s**t....get yer heads outta your asses, stick yer head under your car...and do it yourself. [right]
[snapback]160363[/snapback][/right]

Who calls the repairman when the plumbing is broken, who calls the technician to connect phone extensions/cable drops, who goes to visit the technician when your cellphone is broken under warranty, who calls the roofers when you need your roof done ya, do those yourself too.
paolo,Dec 11 2005, 10:33 AM Wrote:
Slimsride,Dec 11 2005, 03:33 AM Wrote:um...who the F**K...takes their car in for an oil change?  holy s**t....get yer heads outta your asses, stick yer head under your car...and do it yourself. [right]
[snapback]160363[/snapback][/right]

Who calls the repairman when the plumbing is broken, who calls the technician to connect phone extensions/cable drops, who goes to visit the technician when your cellphone is broken under warranty, who calls the roofers when you need your roof done ya, do those yourself too.
[right][snapback]160375[/snapback][/right]

Good response B)

For some of us, it'd be nice to do our own oil changes, plumbing repairs, or home improvements. But it comes down to time and convenience. I really don't want the hassle of "disposing" the oil and filter (and dumping oil down the drain is NOT an option!). If I did do it, I'd have to move the car out of the garage, and make sure I had enough room. Winter time...so it's cold, and I want to reduce the energy I'm using and not run space heaters. ACK! It's a lot easier for me to drop the car off at the dealer and let them fiddle with my car while I'm rushing off to my office or at a client/representative. I'll gladly fork over the added $$$ to let someone else deal with the hassle and my time constraints.

Besides, doing simple things like oil changes at the dealership or shop lets you build some sort of rapport with them. Whenever a big repair comes along, a shop that you usually do business with will tend to make you more happy and satisfied than just that one-time shmoe that drives in time-to-time.

Auto manufacturers are getting pretty tight on their warranty conditions. I have heard instances where even if YOU personally do the oil changes and keep all receipts and you have an engine problem under warranty, it can be easy for a dealer to say you didn't perform the right maintenance. For all they know, you could have used someone else's invoices. It's a far stretch, but it has happened.
The dealer Sheridan Ford. If you want switch to synthetic Motul Its good.

cornflakes,Nov 14 2005, 10:39 PM Wrote:I can't seem to find Mobil-1 5W 20....only 5W 30.  Any other brand you recommend?  Nobody has responded yet about Mr.Lube.  What do you think about them and the "esso extra" (red bottle) they use.  Is that stuff like really cheap and basic motor oil?
[right][snapback]155946[/snapback][/right]

I work for Castrol and some Toronto area Mr. Lube stores actually carry Castrol GTX 5W20 in bulk. What is happening with the increased popularity of 5W20 the Mr. Lube stores are replacing the 10W30 bulk as their tanks are emptying. But the stores that don't have the bulk are using the Esso Extra.

I pulled into the Mr Lube at Lawerance and Kennedy expecting GTX and I got Esso. I noticed increased engine noise after they put it in. Next time no ESSO. I guess I will provide my own oil next time. I get a great deal from work anyhow. But I am off to the dealer on Tuesday for my 60000km service. I am taking Syntec with me.
Pages: 1 2