FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Employment Dilemma
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I applied for a security officer job with one of the larger agencies and without any confirmation of work location or wages I was told to attend two full days of orientation which turned out to be classroom training. I scored very high in the testing (1/4 of the class failed).
Yesterday, I get a call from their scheduler asking me to pick up a uniform and immediately attend training at a site for minimum wage ($7.45 /hr). He tells me after two days training, I need to commit to working at the site for at least a month at $9.00 an hour. Their new ad in several internet job sites says they have 5 immediate openings with wages from $13.00 to $15.00. I called the scheduler back and he tells me he knows nothing about the ad.
Since I had made plans Friday, I did not pick up the uniform. Now I'm scheduled to pick up my uniform Monday morning.
They know based on my application, that I have over ten years experience, that I previously made over $20 hourly and my wage expectation is $13.00.
I'm seriously thinking about telling them to take their job and shove it. What do you guys think?
just tell them to shove it...

Take the job and spend the rest of your time looking for something better then tell them to shove it.
Sounds like all the temp agencies....they advertise a whole variety of great jobs at competitive wages and when you go and sign up, all they got is $9.00/hour jobs in a factory on midnight shift....

I'd keep looking man!
I'm with 2001 ZTS.. work the job and look for something better.

Not sure how the money situation is, but it's a bit of income, and you keep your skills and experience current. Go too long between jobs, and you become considered, "unskilled" labour.
Mmmm...no clear consensus so far

I don't mind a few days at minimum wage to "get my feet wet", but I have a problem with committing for a month.

I figured my wage expectation was already swallowing my pride and willing to work for less. This may sound egotistical and I know there are a lot of hard working people out there making less, but $9.00 /hr is an insult to me.

I'd take the $13-$15 job ad in on Monday, and tell them you want the $13 minimum or you're walking. I chased down my share of thieves at the Eaton Centre years ago, and $13 might have covered my calorie intake per hour! :)

Would you be interested in a security job at the Ford plant in Oakville? I've dealt with the safety manager several times and he's offered my niece a summer security placement next April. If ya want I can see if anything is available when I get back Nov 28.
Money's money... no matter what your savings are, they'll be less tomorrow and you'll be wishing you had took the job if not just to stave the bleeding.
CanadaSVT,Nov 13 2005, 12:48 AM Wrote:I'd take the $13-$15 job ad in on Monday, and tell them you want the $13 minimum or you're walking.  I chased down my share of thieves at the Eaton Centre years ago, and $13 might have covered my calorie intake per hour! :)

Would you be interested in a security job at the Ford plant in Oakville?  I've dealt with the safety manager several times and he's offered my niece a summer security placement next April.  If ya want I can see if anything is available when I get back Nov 28.
[right][snapback]155449[/snapback][/right]

Thanks, unfortunately I'm in Markham.

I definitely will bring the ads when I talk to them on Monday. If they can give me a definitive answer about a better wage in the near future, I may work the lower wage short term to show good faith. If they don't give me a straight answer, I'll probably walk.

NOS2Go4Me,Nov 13 2005, 01:52 AM Wrote:Money's money... no matter what your savings are, they'll be less tomorrow and you'll be wishing you had took the job if not just to stave the bleeding.
[right][snapback]155468[/snapback][/right]

Very good point, but there are always plenty of security companies advertising rates of $9.00 to $10.00, so I wouldn't really consider this a missed opportunity.
A little update...

I did not go through with the committment to work for $9.00 /hr. In the end, I just couldn't accept the low wage.

Thanks for all your feedback guys - I value your opinions.