FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: In Remembrance Of ...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I watched "Bomber Boys" on History Television the past two nights, and except for the squadron, the story was that of my father.

This is in loving remembrance of:

My dad, Flight Lt. William V.H. Webster, RCAF, WWII (DFC) (1919-1991)

My grandfather, Vance Webster RAF-WWI, RCAF-WWII (DFM) (1895-1966)

My uncle, Don Webster, RCAF, (DFM) (1922-1976)

My uncle, Dennis Canivet (RCAF)

My mom's two cousins Gordon and Edward (RCN) who died in WWII.

And all the other veterans who sacrificed so much in the preservation of our way of life.

Cheers.

[Image: Dad_grandad5.jpg]
your lucky to have this picture.

My great uncle was in ww2 also. (paratrooper if I recal) royal 22?

for today, I took an hour of my time and went to draw the tank we have from WW2 at the park beside my work. :)
Grandfather was with the 1st Hussars of London Ontario, armoured division. Was in D-Day, saw service in France to Germany
crazikev,Nov 11 2005, 09:57 PM Wrote:Grandfather was with the 1st Hussars of London Ontario, armoured division.  Was in D-Day, saw service in France to Germany
[right][snapback]155244[/snapback][/right]

I'll post my drawing then later for you, the tank I draw was in london victoria park, most likely a Sherman tank from his unit.

the tank in question is "holly Roller" with a "9" on the turret. B)
french_connection,Nov 11 2005, 05:00 PM Wrote:
crazikev,Nov 11 2005, 09:57 PM Wrote:Grandfather was with the 1st Hussars of London Ontario, armoured division.  Was in D-Day, saw service in France to Germany
[right][snapback]155244[/snapback][/right]

I'll post my drawing then later for you, the tank I draw was in london victoria park, most likely a Sherman tank from his unit.

the tank in question is "holly Roller" with a "9" on the turret. B)
[right][snapback]155247[/snapback][/right]
cool! is the 1st Hussars near there?
I would assume that its HERE... im in london.

here is the drawing, sorry for the bad pic... I will work some more on the shading this week end.

[Image: IM003129.jpg]

The vehicles covered is the M4A2 Sherman III "Holly Roller" in Victory Park in London, Ontario, Canada.

Its an early production M4A2 Sherman of the 1st Hussars.

Holly Roller had the rare distinction of landing on D-Day and still being active when VE-Day rolled around.

B)
my grandfather was in WW II, was shot and then was a run over by a tank early in the war and lived, it was the soft mud in france that saved him.

He recovered in England, and later went back and was re-assigned to be an ambulance driver. He would talk about the days leading up to the end of the war when he was again reassigned to sniper status in Holland, but even up to his death he never once talked about his job as being an ambulance driver, his only comments when he would see a car accident involving a death or not he would sometimes comment " atleast they have more then 1/2 the body to identify for the family "

My grandfather died 2 years ago from a stroke, and we miss him everyday. He was looking forward to marking the end of the war in Ottawa for the 60th year of peace. Even though he's gone his memory will never be forgotten, we have a small memorial frame with his picture, metals, and his old army hat with a poppy in his hat, framed and on display at my aunts home. I can't help but feel pride for my family as everyone was involved in both war efforts and there are certificates to prove that from the city of Brampton, Toronto, and from the government of Ontario.

Norman Gates was a great man, and so was his father ( my great grand father ) Henery Gates who was in WW I and built the planes for WW II at what is now pearson airport.