FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: 2006 Ford #2 Choice, Down To Just 2 Choices
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Gronholm #1, Mikko or Markko #2 in 2006, Gardemeister out!

Former works Ford drivers Markko Martin and Mikko Hirvonen are favourites to land the outfit's second seat next year alongside double champion Marcus Gronholm, according to team boss Malcolm Wilson. Speaking to Autosport magazine, the former rally driver said he'd now pretty much narrowed his choice to the two names.

Wilson is expected to make a decision on his driver plans after this weekend's Telstra Rally Australia. The choice could be partly swayed by budget, which depends on how well the debut of the new, 2006-spec Focus WRC goes on the Perth-based event. The new car is being run for the first time, and a trouble-free run could free up budget for drivers, while a problematic first outing could focus attention on car development.

Martin, who has driven for Peugeot this season, will likely want a retainer for his return to Ford, which he drove for between 2002 and 2004, winning five rallies. Hirvonen is thought to have funding for his seat. He has spent this year running a privately-run 2003-spec Focus WRC after seasons as a junior works Ford and Subaru driver, but has impressed with his performances and results in the aging car.

"Really, it's going to be Mikko or Markko," Wilson said. "The reason I'm not going to decide until after Australia is that it gives me a chance to see where we are with the new car. We'll have a clearer idea of the car's pace after the event. It might need an extensive change and, if it does, then I'll need the budget to do that work."

Gardemeister said that he hasn't been informed of Wilson's decision on his driver line-up for next year. "It's very early days," he said. "I've not heard anything at all. I'd like to stay with Ford, but I don't know if it's possible. I think I've done a good job this year. We just have to wait and see."
Markko would be the best choice but ........... financially I think they're going to for Hirvonen and save some coin to further enhance the car
I knew it ............ good choice. He was outstanding this year with an old car, and having Marcus as a teammate is a perfect fit. Ford "should" really impress next year.
I'm glad...

Markko has potential but, he is unreliable. unloyal, inconsistant, and currently doesnt have a co-driver!

It only makes sense to go with Mikko!!

So now Ford might have a reasonable chance to improve...A new car, Marcus Gronholm, Mikko Hirvonen, & Toni Gardemeister...plue some privateers!

Markko may ride in a privateer focus in 06' or possibly a privateer peugeot if he doesnt get a contract as a primary/secondary driver, and once he gets a new co-driver to replace the late Micheal Park!@
Is Ford running three cars next year ? I thought Toni was SOL when they signed Hirvonen ? He's a good driver - reliable and fast. As far as Markko his only chance now is a privateer car - all factory rides are pretty much spoken except for Skoda ?
dlb,Nov 18 2005, 01:26 PM Wrote:Is Ford running three cars next year ?  I thought Toni was SOL when they signed Hirvonen ?  He's a good driver - reliable and fast.  As far as Markko his only chance now is a privateer car - all factory rides are pretty much spoken except for Skoda ?
[right][snapback]156615[/snapback][/right]

I think Ford is only running the 2 -works RS 2006-spec cars..

Roman Kresta will drive an 05RS as a privateer, I think antony warmbold might as well!

Toni, I believe is driving an 06RS but not as a works driver.,..