FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ford's New 3.5l V6 With New 6 Speed Auto
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Link To Ford Media

BlueOvalNews For pics and more extensive info

[Image: 110905_35LV6_9.gif]

New 3.5-liter V-6 engine to power one in five Ford vehicles by the end of the decade – including the new Ford Edge and Lincoln Aviator crossover utility vehicles next year
Ford leads the way with a new 6-speed automatic transaxle that saves fuel – up to 7 percent in highway driving and nearly two tanks of gas a year compared with typical 4-speed automatics
Work begins on Ford’s third-generation hybrid technology for future I-4 and V-6 engines
Ford’s hybrid leadership continues with the debut of Escape Hybrid taxis in New York City
DEARBORN, Mich. Nov. 9, 2005 – Building on its promise to make innovation the compass that sets the company’s future direction, Ford today unveiled a new engine, new 6-speed automatic transaxle and more hybrid plans that bring fuel economy and performance to the next generation of vehicles.
“As Bill Ford has promised, Ford plans to be first in delivering innovative products to our customers – products that are stylish in design, safer for families, first in technology with new fuels and better efficiency, and first in offering new services to consumers,” says Derrick Kuzak, Ford group vice president, Product Development. “That commitment includes innovation in the powertrain lineup that we’ll be offering beginning next year.”

New 3.5-Liter V-6
Ford next year will introduce two new breakthrough crossover utility vehicles (CUVs) – the Ford Edge and Lincoln Aviator – equipped with an all-new 3.5-liter V-6 engine and new 6-speed transaxle. The new V-6 engine will be a powertrain cornerstone for Ford Motor Company, eventually powering one in every five Ford Motor Company vehicles on the road by the end of the decade.

The new 3.5-liter V-6 was designed to deliver the best combination of fuel economy, refinement and performance for the customer and be compact enough to fit into a variety of vehicles. The height and width of the engine is the same as the smaller displacement Duratec 30 V-6.

The engine produces 250 horsepower and 240 pound-feet of torque in its CUV applications. It uses a dual-overhead cam valvetrain for peak power capability and smooth operation at high RPM. It incorporates intake variable cam timing to optimize fuel economy by adjusting valve timing for a smooth idle, optimal part-load driving and an impressively broad torque curve with good power.

In anticipation of future needs, the new V-6 has been designed to accommodate advanced technologies, including gasoline direct injection and turbo charging.

The engine will be built in the fall of 2006 at Ford’s Lima (Ohio) Engine Plant.

6F 6-Speed Transaxle
Ford also underscored its leadership in fuel-saving transmissions with the reveal of a new 6-speed for the new Ford Edge and Lincoln Aviator. Ford is an industry leader in 6-speed transmissions with 24 nameplates already offered with the highly efficient technology.

Six-speed automatic transaxles improve performance and fuel economy. It is estimated that, for every 500,000 6-speeds – rather than traditional 4-speeds – fitted to vehicles, 12 million gallons of fuel can be saved annually (based on 25 mpg combined fuel economy for 15,000 miles).

The enhanced performance and fuel economy of the new 6F comes from a wide span of 6.04 between the transaxle’s lowest and highest gear ratio. The high ratio span helps deliver improved fuel economy of up to 7 percent and improved sustained acceleration compared with a typical 4-speed automatic.

The new 6F will be fitted to the 3.5-liter V-6 in the Ford Edge and Lincoln Aviator. The combination delivers optimal fuel economy and powerful performance combined with smooth, refined and quiet shifts.

The new Ford 6F will be built at Ford’s Van Dyke (Mich.) Transmission Plant.

< SPECIFICATIONS >

ENGINE
Type 3.5L DOHC 24-valve V-6
Manufacturing Location: Lima Engine Plant, Ohio
Configuration: 60-degree V-6, aluminum block and heads
Intake Manifold: Composite, slit plenum
Exhaust Manifold: Cast iron
Crankshaft: Forged steel
Redline: 6700 rpm
Throttle Body: 65mm, electronic
Valvetrain: DAMB, 4 valves per cylinder, intake variable camshaft timing
Valve Diameter: Intake: 37mm Exhaust: 31 mm
Pistons: High temperature cast aluminum alloy with low-friction coated skirts, low-tension rings
Connecting Rods: Cracked-powder metal
Ignition: Pencil coil
Bore x Stroke: 3.6 x 3.4 in/92.5 x 86.7 mm
Displacement: 213 cu in/3.496 cc
Compression Ratio: 10:03:01
Horsepower: 250 @ 6250 rpm (estimated)
Horsepower per Liter: 71.5 (estimated)
Torque: 240 lb-ft @ 4500 rpm (estimated)
Recommended Fuel 87 Octane
Fuel Capacity: 20 gallons
Fuel Injection: Sequential multiport fuel injection
Oil Capacity: 5.5 quarts, with filter
Recommended Oil: GF4, 5W-20

TRANSMISSION
Type 6-Speed Automatic
Gear Ratios
1st 4.484:1
2nd 2.872:1
3rd 1.842:1
4th 1.414:1
5th 1.000:1
6th 0.742:1
REV 00034

Article Continues At Link
cool, wonder which car its going to go in?
6-speed auto... sounds like it definately wont go in to one of their compacts :(
First vehicles will be the ford edgencoln avaitor nxt year then the lincoln zephyr,ford 500,mercury montego and ford freestyle.After that it's not totally set. Probably end up in the fusion and milan also.
The 6spd tranny is impressive but the engine seems lacking when you compare it to other 3.5L engines like Nissan's VQ35DE wich puts out more HP and torque with the same amount of displacement.

Laterz :)
K_OS,Nov 10 2005, 11:16 AM Wrote:The 6spd tranny is impressive but the engine seems lacking when you compare it to other 3.5L engines like Nissan's VQ35DE wich puts out more HP and torque with the same amount of displacement.
[right][snapback]154838[/snapback][/right]

The 6 speed auto is nice but I agree with K_OS that I'm not sure what to be excited about the engine itself? I suppose it is good for one taht uses regular gas and may have better economy but...............
Likely putting a simple, lower power engines in them now, so they can improve on them A-LA-SVT in the future...or they can release a new model with an uprated engine every other year or something...

Yeah, 240 hp is less than the competition, but don't forget that 10 years ago, Ford was building 5.0's that barely made more than 150hp at the wheels...
K_OS,Nov 10 2005, 12:16 PM Wrote:The 6spd tranny is impressive but the engine seems lacking when you compare it to other 3.5L engines like Nissan's VQ35DE wich puts out more HP and torque with the same amount of displacement.

Laterz :)
[right][snapback]154838[/snapback][/right]

Come on now, almost EVERY V6 is lacking compared to the Nissan VQ, that's a multiple award winning engine year after year. These numbers are a good step up from the 3.0 that's in several Fords right now. No nothing to get excited about, but certainly an improvement.
When you compare ford's bone stock 250HP 3.5L to nissan 3.5L running both regular gas their almost equal. Nissan higher HP 3.5's need premuim. Plus nissan uses a full cam timing system plus a dual stage intake system not found on the 3.5 ford. Plus ford's 3.5 makes more hp then honda's 240HP. Using premuim full vct and other tweaks there is no reason why the ford can match the high powered nissan 3.5L. Everyone seem to forget the difference between premuim and regular fuel and the difference it makes. Another thing, ford's engine is rated as sulevII, nissan can't do that. So ford's engine emits cleaner air then the air it usually takes in, in most cities.
Kool_ZX3,Nov 10 2005, 07:42 PM Wrote:Everyone seem to forget the difference between premuim and regular fuel and the difference it makes.
[right][snapback]155009[/snapback][/right]

Is the answer: "about ten cents"?

:lol:

about a 15 hp difference between the regular and premium v6 versions.

From nissan's website

Use regular unleaded fuel with 87 octane. For maximum power, use premium fuel. 2 SAE Net. Horsepower will test lower under revised SAE testing procedures. Engine performance will not change

Even the altima's 250HP engine needs premuim, ford makes that with regular HMMMMM :rolleyes:
WEWT!!!
I think I know what to replace my 3.0 Sable Duratec with if it ever goes. :) For an engine that has been relatively unchanged since 1996 (and earlier in a 2.5 version) the Duratec has competed quite well. Hundreds of thousands out there in Taurus' & Sable's, as well as Lincoln LS's and Escapes, and now Mazda 6's, not to mention the 2.5 versions in Contour's and Mystique's, the motor can't really be complained about.

All I know is that my Duratec (with 160,000 kms on it) still pulls as hard as my 1984 Mustang GT. It does have more horsepower than the 1984 5.0 though, but nowhere near the torque.

Raise your hand if you knew that the Duratec was originally a tossed aside Porsche design!

Currently there is a 6-speed in the Five Hundred and the Fusion. I wonder what the difference is between the current and the future?

Ryan
reldridge,Nov 11 2005, 02:00 AM Wrote:I think I know what to replace my 3.0 Sable Duratec with if it ever goes. :) For an engine that has been relatively unchanged since 1996 (and earlier in a 2.5 version) the Duratec has competed quite well. Hundreds of thousands out there in Taurus' & Sable's, as well as Lincoln LS's and Escapes, and now Mazda 6's, not to mention the 2.5 versions in Contour's and Mystique's, the motor can't really be complained about.

All I know is that my Duratec (with 160,000 kms on it) still pulls as hard as my 1984 Mustang GT. It does have more horsepower than the 1984 5.0 though, but nowhere near the torque.

Raise your hand if you knew that the Duratec was originally a tossed aside Porsche design!

Currently there is a 6-speed in the Five Hundred and the Fusion. I wonder what the difference is between the current and the future?

Ryan
[right][snapback]155069[/snapback][/right]

Yup the duratec was a porsche design and sold it off to ford, thanks porsche for a kick ass engine :lol: