FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Car & Driver Test 11 Top Brand Names In Tires
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here's a LINK (CLICK HERE) from the Car & Driver's test on the 11 best Max Performance Tires available at this time. All the tires were fitted to a 2006 BMW 330i and run through the exact same tests. The following list is of the tires included in the test and their respective scores:

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3: 1050.4
Continental Contisportcontact 2: 1031.9
Yokohama Advan Neova AD07: 1027.0
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2: 1018.7
Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212: 1015.4
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx: 1002.2
Pirelli P Zero Rosso Asimmetrico: 1002.1
Toyo Proxes T1R: 999.7
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A: 993.9
BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KD: 993.0
Kumho Ecsta MX: 990.7
MAlby7,Nov 8 2005, 02:18 AM Wrote:Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3: 1050.4
Continental Contisportcontact 2: 1031.9
Yokohama Advan Neova AD07: 1027.0
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2: 1018.7
Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212: 1015.4
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx: 1002.2
Pirelli P Zero Rosso Asimmetrico: 1002.1
Toyo Proxes T1R: 999.7
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A: 993.9
BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KD: 993.0
Kumho Ecsta MX: 990.7

[right][snapback]154391[/snapback][/right]

What are the price range for those tires?

Is there somebody here that can get a good deal on a set of those tires??
That's quite a nice tire list. There is a pretty big gap between the dunlop's and hankook's :blink: Same with the goodyear's, damn almost 20 points :blink:

The conti also did very well, highest tread ware and it was one of the cheaper tires but those hankook's are damn cheap, 99 bucks :blink:
who knew the conti's were that good? :blink:
svt_rodg,Nov 8 2005, 09:13 AM Wrote:who knew the conti's were that good? :blink:
[right][snapback]154418[/snapback][/right]

You have to be very careful with any manufacturer when it comes to OEM. In most cases the same make and model tire fitted at the factory is very different (worse) than the same make and model sold as a replacement.

Same case with the Potenzas that came with the Subaru, absolute crap as OEM but good enough for the C&D top 10 as replacements.

I had an article about this little know practice somewhere I'll try to find.
So they tested the 11 most expensive tires they could find? :huh:

Seriously, nice find Andrew. :)
Looks pretty good to me.

I have the Pilot sports on the Tib at the moment and they are a fantastic tire. I've got a set of F1's at my parents house waiting for next spring. I just hope I get more out of them than the last set.

The Pilots have gone almost 40,000KM which is amazing for a tire of this type.

Strange that in 215/45/17 the F1 is only $131 a tire VS the Continental at $157. Still that's pretty cheap at less than $700 for a set.
2001 ZTS,Nov 8 2005, 09:28 AM Wrote:
svt_rodg,Nov 8 2005, 09:13 AM Wrote:who knew the conti's were that good? :blink:
[right][snapback]154418[/snapback][/right]

You have to be very careful with any manufacturer when it comes to OEM. In most cases the same make and model tire fitted at the factory is very different (worse) than the same make and model sold as a replacement.

Same case with the Potenzas that came with the Subaru, absolute crap as OEM but good enough for the C&D top 10 as replacements.

I had an article about this little know practice somewhere I'll try to find.
[right][snapback]154419[/snapback][/right]
i don't think they are the same tires that came on the svt, but i was saying that who knew conti's, in general, were that good of a tire.
2001 ZTS,Nov 8 2005, 09:28 AM Wrote:You have to be very careful with any manufacturer when it comes to OEM. In most cases the same make and model tire fitted at the factory is very different (worse) than the same make and model sold as a replacement.
[right][snapback]154419[/snapback][/right]

I'll back that up as a friend of mine works for Michelin as a chemical engineer and has told me on various occasions that the OEM tires that they ship to manufacturers are of inferior quality to the ones they sell trough there distribuition channels, they do this to keep the price down and make more money later when the customer needs to replace there tires.

Laterz :)
Interesting...I was reading reviews on the Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval on the tirerack.com, and a lot of people who's Vette's, Mustangs, Audi's, Porsche's, etc had the GY Eagle F1 Supercar tires, or Pirelli P-Zero Nero's, switched to the Firestones. They all say that the Wide Oval blows the others away in both the dry, and especially the wet.

Myself, I won't buy anything by Goodyear or Michelin for my cars. I've had both, so has my dad, my Grandad, and some freinds of mine...they are both useless in the rain...at least from our experiences. I am looking at getting some of the Wide Ovals or Bridgestone Potenza RE750's in the spring. The Wide Ovals are $238.55 each for a 215/45 ZR17, or $231.40 each for the 205/40 ZR17. The POtenza RE 750's are $275.00 each for the 215/45 ZR 17's, and $274.95 for the 205/40 ZR 17's. The Wide Ovals are either Y or W speed rated in either size...so not bad a price each for that level of tire. I'd love the Potenza S-O3 Pole positions, but they are $353.00 each....too steep for me, considering they only last 1 season usually.
Judging by all the research I've done at this moment in time my first choice would be the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 and my second choice would be Yokohama Advan Neova AD07.
Was looking on that linky there, and where they stated that you can't test drive tires....is not entirely true. Both Bridgestone and Firestone let you test drive any of their tires for 30 days after purchase, and allow you to return or exchange them if unsatisfied. Either way, good info, thanks!
hmm...

I guess I'll get some new Bridgestones or Firestones if I ever take my car to the track. Then just take them back afterwards.

Edit: Anyone let you test brakes?