FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Welding In Car Shows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone ever watch those shows where they weld some stuff up like cars and stuff? I know most of you have, like Monster Garage and stuff like that.

How and WHY do these people weld with t-shirts on and usually with no or small gloves? Those pieces of spatter from the puddle are very hot and instantely burn, these people are crazy! At least wear something that covers your arms or something lol. And this show i saw yesterday, the guys face was almost touching the arc. That guy would only be breathing in weld fumes and no air at all! Can anyone say cancer?

Where the heck did these people learn how to weld?

Ah, i just had to get that off my chest. I feel better now :rolleyes:
i suspect its two parts hardcore and one part skill. when i used to weld (oxy-acetalyne) i didn't really need the gauntlets, but they let me do stoopid things easier. i'd wear an apron just to keep my clothes clean not due to worry over sparkage (keep the tip out and you don't get popping)
i learned my lesson a few weeks back .. i was welding and didn't really think much off it, i had my gloves on and just a t-shirt

and i got the worst sunburn i have ever got .. my hands were normal colour and you could see a very distinct line where the gloves ended.... first time i've ever had a burn peel too

long sleeves for me from now on
just going back to welding, walking by the welders, i can now peel the skin off the back of my neck

that guys shield was |.................| that far away from the puddle! how the hell does he breathe

of course i bet they aint doing 28amps and 550 ipm of .045 wire either :lol:
Yamin those guys are hardcore...

Its like some old fiberglassers I met when I was really into it.... They dont care about cancer anymore... after you fiberglass for 10 years your lucky your still living.
I think it comes with the territory of working with something for so long... you just get complacent.

I've had slag come off a weld when I was young (14), and it burnt a hole straight through my shoe and between my toes... almost had a speed hole in my foot.

Everytime I see those shows, I have the same feeling.

It's not hardcore, it's damned stupid, and it should almost be censored from TV.

I TIG welded in gloves and a T shirt once, and got a bad burn on the inside of my elbows. Damn that hurts!
adam,Nov 7 2005, 11:15 PM Wrote:i suspect its two parts hardcore and one part skill. when i used to weld (oxy-acetalyne) i didn't really need the gauntlets, but they let me do stoopid things easier. i'd wear an apron just to keep my clothes clean not due to worry over sparkage (keep the tip out and you don't get popping)
[right][snapback]154369[/snapback][/right]
i question there skill when they dont even use the right equipment, its like bungee jumping without a cord.

ANd the guy on this show was MIG welding too, thick steel :o
Man reading all these stories reminds me of the misadventure I had during my one and only (so far) attempt to weld back in Grade 9 shop class.

I thought I had followed all the safety warnings that the instructor gave to the letter, however as I left the shop class that day I noticed a hole in the sweater I was wearing that was the size of a dime! :blink:

Never did figure out at what point I messed up, but I decided then & there to let others do the welding, I couldn't afford constantly replacing my wardrobe! :P

NefCanuck