FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Used Rims ...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For the second time this year, I'm thinking of buying a set of used rims.

The first time the rims looked great, but when I took them to get the wheels installed, it was obvious on the balancer that two were seriously out-of-round and a third was slightly "off." Thankfully the seller in this case was honourable and more than happy to give me my money back.

I don't want to go through the hassle again though if I can avoid it. Anyone know of a good way to check a rim without a tire for being perfectly round?

I was thinking maybe just rolling it along a flat surface - not very scientific ...

Ideas?
heu... an idea... buy my rims and give me your 16's...

:o
k, this is how

look at them...if they look like circles they are good...if they look anything like squares or triangles...move on.
Have to put them on a balancing machine to see mang
Raine,Nov 8 2005, 02:38 AM Wrote:Have to put them on a balancing machine to see mang
[right][snapback]154394[/snapback][/right]

That's the way I found out that my rims where a little off...You couldn't see it with your eyes but when they are balancing you see it. But for me..it doesn't affect my driving.
Slimsride,Nov 8 2005, 12:30 AM Wrote:k, this is how

look at them...if they look like circles they are good...if they look anything like squares or triangles...move on.
[right][snapback]154379[/snapback][/right]
Mmmmm ... maybe it's true what they say about the Canadian military. Thank God Bubbles made it back okay. Or did he ... anyone see any of the "after" pictures?
Take them under agreement with the seller to a balancing shop.

Have them balanced and ask the chap how far off they were.
ZTWsquared,Nov 8 2005, 06:53 AM Wrote:
Slimsride,Nov 8 2005, 12:30 AM Wrote:k, this is how

[right][snapback]154379[/snapback][/right]
Mmmmm ... maybe it's true what they say about the Canadian military. Thank God Bubbles made it back okay. Or did he ... anyone see any of the "after" pictures?
[right][snapback]154408[/snapback][/right]

Watch the Mike Smith Promo

I bought tims, several times, I think I was probably lucky each time that I got good rims. Even my last set I got were damaged from hitting a pothole and I balanced it just fine.

Yeah i'd agree best bet is, meet at a wheel shop for a balance and if they go well, then you pay the man, of course you gotta pay for tha balance too, but its a small price to pay....