FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Anybody Seen A Solstice Yet?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: pontiac_solstice.03.jpg]
Stopped by the local Pontiac dealership the other night to see the new Solstice, not a bad looking car really, but the lights were not on in the showroom either. From what I could see of the interior it looks pretty well laid out and very un GM like meaning it appreared to have some quality to it. Only major dislike I had was that the exhaust tip seemed to go off to an angle like an aftermarket can off a Honda. :rolleyes: Too bad from an article I read about them this weekend the 2.4 Ecotec sucks big fat hairy donkey balls, said to make a ton of racket and does not really like to be reved. Pontiac also seems to have thought that Ford was onto something with these black ABS pastic grills and used this design on the front of the Solstice as well. Over all package looks nice, but underneath it's not a winner. Looks like anyone in this market should just buck up an extra couple grand and spring for the new Miata.
I've seen a few on the road. To me, it's too round. Too 'organic' shaped. The Saturn Sky is a much better looking car on that chassis.

Once the Solstice coupe comes out with the SC'd Ecotec, that would be fun... :)

Ryan
I think they're hideous.

I'd rather go for the saturn version of the car.
[Image: gallery_hero_04.jpg]
I've seen two of them, they look sweet in person, especially tehir pearl white.....yum!!

Evetrything I've read so far has said one extreme of the other.

I read one article where they slammed the ecotec saying it was a POS, but read other artclies where they loved it. :huh: :blink: Magazine racing for ya :rolleyes: Most have said the same thing in conclusion though, great bang for the buck.

I'm really interested in this car, and will be waiting for the sky to come out before I go out and test drive both....
from the canadian driver test drive...

Quote:Can I call this the prettiest car of the year?

WTF?

I don't remember the Thunderbird being that successful, what makes pontiac think this is going to fly?
I saw one sitting in someone's driveway a couple days ago.. just driving by I saw the rear end of a convertible roadster and noticed the Pontiac logo and the Solstice badge. Didnt expect to see them locally here yet.

Personally I think the Solstice is a terrible ugly car, the front end is way too round and bulbous. The Sky looks a lot better with the sharp lines.. and some of the SEMA Solstice pics I saw looked alright.
Quote:Which is where this all would have ended had not Pontiac brought up a bunch of Solstices (Solstii?) to the Automobile Journalists Association of Canada's annual Car of the Year TestFest. One of the best things about the event is not only the opportunity to drive every car in a certain class back-to-back with its newest competitors, but also to spend time on Shannonville racetrack evaluating their behaviour in more extreme conditions than you may encounter on the street.

Solstii, this ones for you Puppet :lol:
SVT ZX3,Nov 7 2005, 12:15 PM Wrote:Solstii, this ones for you Puppet :lol:
[right][snapback]154150[/snapback][/right]

[Image: 051107.jpg]
I was at a house party last week where one of the attendees brought her Solstice. She said she liked it alot, but I can see where it can become a chick car before Pontiac gives it more power. The same thing happened with the Fiero, tagged with the commuter chick car label before it was given a V6.
I saw one yesterday on the road, the front looks weird, but i like the back. Thats all i got. Didint do much for me.
Sky > Solstice even tho they're essentially the same car. I'm sure the sky will be lighter because of the plastic doors
Raine,Nov 7 2005, 03:19 PM Wrote:Sky > Solstice even tho they're essentially the same car. I'm sure the sky will be lighter because of the plastic doors
[right][snapback]154214[/snapback][/right]

I don't see how any of the solstice could be sheet metal. It's easier to blow a bubble than pound one out.
Saturn is not using plastic door panels and the like anymore.

I think the sky is hot as hell but the solstice is a big bubble up front and then looks good from the side and not half bad at the rear. Interior isn't very nice. The miata is just the better car, most gm fans say the miata is a POS and the solstice rules the show now. Thier all crazy anyway :lol: B)
the miata mx-5 will be very nice...
Real sports car enthusiest will buy the MX-5, those who are just out for a sunday afternoon drive or want to impress the neighbors will get the Solstice.
SVT ZX3,Nov 7 2005, 03:43 PM Wrote:Real sports car enthusiest will buy the MX-5, those who are just out for a sunday afternoon drive or want to impress the neighbors will get the Solstice.
[right][snapback]154248[/snapback][/right]

How can you say that after the MX-5 got so fat it's not exactly the little sports car it used to be.

Anyway saw a Solstice about 3 months ago on Michigan plates, navy blue. Kristin saw it before me and said look at that ugly thing what is it? I couldn't have agreed more.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^6
Quote:And while they've increased the car's size, most notably its width, they've kept it quite light, at 1,108 kg. for the five-speed stick and only 1,147 kg. at its heaviest with a six-speed auto and air conditioning. It's gained on average only 10 kilograms, thanks to extensive use of aluminum in the engine, certain body parts and other components.
That lightness makes it incredibly agile in the twisties, with quick steering input, excellent feel on turn-in and very little body roll.

That's how I can say that. ;)

01-yellow-ZX3

Sat in one at Sema, and at 6'2" I'm wayyyy too big for that car, and I'm a skinny bastard too.
The miata engineers take pride in what they do at mazda B) I heard alot of people would give a kidney to work in the miata dept :D
Pages: 1 2