FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: 2005 Pontiac Pursuit Review
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Length of test: ~400KMs, mostly highway driving.

Spec: Ecotec 2.2L 4-cyl, 4-speed automatic.

The first two gears in this thing are geared quite short for an auto. Combine that with the fact the Ecotec pulls willingly through 6 grand... it's nice for pickup from a dead stop. At cruise in 4th with the lockup engaged, it's turning 2200-2300RPMs at 100KM/H, and a little less than 2500 @ 110. Anything less than 3000 RPMs in this engine is pain. It does hold gears longer than the Focus ATX, which is nice because the Focus ATX is notoriously undecided in all matters relatling to gear-holding. 3rd? Sure! But what about 4th? OK! 3rd again, it looks bored. No problem!

It's darty. Think cocaine-infused alleycat piloting a soapbox derby racer, chasing a mouse on LSD. Yeah, it's THAT darty. It's also the first car I've had to drive with 2 hands all the way from North Bay to Toronto, in bad and good weather. It doesn't matter if you're doing 80 KM/H or 140 KM/H... it's quite unstable.

Think nitroglycerine. In a can. Held in a paintmixer. Doing a HALO drop over Nicaragua in 1975 or so.

The damping initially makes the car feel very promising. Bumps are nicely removed from the equation. Then you realize that the damping in no way guarantees performance. What a shame.

It has very nice brakes. No fade, no pulse, no un-evenness or pulling. This has to be the best feature of the whole damn car.

The seats are much more uncomfortable than anything I've ever sat in. The seat adjustment is great, you can tailor everything except the lumbar support. Which is fine, because lumbar support can't save you. Nothing can save you. Give away your soul before a ride in one of these and save your soul the pain at the very least.

The tires are ungrippy, if such a word exists. There's decent bodyroll, but I expected that. The steering accents this, as you're almost encouraged to keep turning the wheel due to the lack of force required to do so. See above lack of feel commenting.

I'm mentally drained from driving this cowpath warrior down from North Bay. Pontiac disappoints me. The only thing that kept me from getting a Z24 or Sunfire GT 2 years ago was the utter fact I couldn't fit in them. Lucky me. Now I can fit perfectly and despise everything else about the car.

The plastic is great. It's everywhere inside the car. I don't know whether to serve lunch to inmates at the Kingston Pen or just hose it down for the fun of it. Can we call it the Pontiac Xterra? I don't think Nissan would mind, they'd still win the offroading contests.

The engine note, I must mention, is quite endearing. It's endearing because it's buzzy enough to be heard if you listen, but not obtrusive enough to be annoying. You can hear the mechanical melody being played out under the hood, but you're not inspired to go and do great things with the Pursuit. That's a good thing, because the chassis and suspension would horribly disappoint you, and then you'd be suicidal. Pontiac doesn't want suicidal people, so don't worry... you're safe until you become adventurous. And then you're on your own.
NOS2Go4Me,Nov 6 2005, 09:06 PM Wrote:...It's darty. Think cocaine-infused alleycat piloting a soapbox derby racer, chasing a mouse on LSD. Yeah, it's THAT darty....
[right][snapback]154052[/snapback][/right]

Ohh ok..its crystal-clear now!!!

:huh:
Canadiandriver also has a review of the new Solstice.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/l...lstice.htm

Laterz :)
lol interesting review
K_OS,Nov 7 2005, 07:38 AM Wrote:Canadiandriver also has a review of the new Solstice.
[right][snapback]154103[/snapback][/right]

I like the Saturn Sky so much better. I hope the Sky somehow manages to have some sort of storage for an overnight bag.
2001 ZTS,Nov 7 2005, 11:54 AM Wrote:
K_OS,Nov 7 2005, 07:38 AM Wrote:Canadiandriver also has a review of the new Solstice.
[right][snapback]154103[/snapback][/right]

I like the Saturn Sky so much better. I hope the Sky somehow manages to have some sort of storage for an overnight bag.
[right][snapback]154136[/snapback][/right]

Me to, and from what I've read, the 240Hp Turbo model should be an option come launch. :D The T model brings the price up to Z4, miata mx5speed territory though :blink:
NOS2Go4Me,Nov 6 2005, 10:06 PM Wrote:Length of test: ~400KMs, mostly highway driving.

Spec: Ecotec 2.2L 4-cyl, 4-speed automatic.

It's darty. Think cocaine-infused alleycat piloting a soapbox derby racer, chasing a mouse on LSD. Yeah, it's THAT darty. It's also the first car I've had to drive with 2 hands all the way from North Bay to Toronto, in bad and good weather. It doesn't matter if you're doing 80 KM/H or 140 KM/H... it's quite unstable.

Think nitroglycerine. In a can. Held in a paintmixer. Doing a HALO drop over Nicaragua in 1975 or so.

[right][snapback]154052[/snapback][/right]

Geez that's bad, but then again, compared to my last car, the Focus was a twitchy SOB initally as well (Esp. the turning radius, it felt/feels like is was less than half of my old car) Heck, seven months later the car still manages to catch me unaware when it reacts sooner than I thought it would, though its much dartier when its just me aboard as opposed to a full load of passengers.

But I can drive one handed in the Focus no problem (In my Olds it was one finger though :P)

NefCanuck
Just to add, the pusuit finished a 5th place behind the focus (4th place) in a motor trend comparision.