FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Brakes Or Wheelbearings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys....

The Svt is making some wierd nosies seems that theres a slight grinding coming from the wheel. which wheel yet... not too sure.

I've come to the conclusion its one of three things...

Wheel Bearings

Sticking caliper

Warped rotor.

Symptoms: low speed crusing. i feel a slight grinding in the wheel. and hear a rubbing noise coming from outside the car.... if i tap the brakes. the sound goes away for a few seconds then comes back... at highway speeds i dont really feel anything.

oh yeah, the wheel doesnt vibrate while braking so that may rule out warped rotor

brakes were changed 15k ago. and from what i can see the pads are fine.... and its also not a metal on metal type of grinding.

any ideas?

tonight i'm going to jack up the car when i get home from work and spin each of the wheels hopefully i can find the cause.
My wheel bearing was replaced last week. My symptoms were a thud noise whenever the wheels were truning.....didnt matter what speed/breaking, etc....the noise was always there.
if its the wheel bearing i'm gonna flip the damn out at dixie ford...

last 3 times the car was there i said wheel bearing

theyre like... no...

especially since the car is out of warranty.
my car was doin the same thing, i got new brakes and it was fine ,they said my calipers had seized on one of the brakes........check the break pad, see how much is left
Could be a bearing but sounds like brakes rubbing really.
Steve, I know you said your gonna sell it @ 90,000km's. I just hope for you that it makes it that far. Damn, your car is cursed. What's the build number anyways? Hopefully mine wasn't made anywhere near yours.
499/2173...

i was going to wait till feb when i move. but now i'm waiting. damn. i really dont wanna pull down my brakes this weekend.
If yah need brakes yah should all go to napa and get thier new ceramix line
I certainly hope it doesnt need brakes....

I just put EBC greenstuff on all 4 corners 3 months ago
Must be a wheel bearing then, when yah jack it up check for play in the wheel, if there is more then likely it's a bearing, unless something else is loose.
Yeah, the only thing stopping me from thinking its the bearing is that when i tap the brake. the noise stops for 3 or 4 seconds after the pedal is released....

I hope its just some dirt or something. that i can solve with a bit of brake cleaner.
Maybe this?

TSB 03-20-2: Suspension Creaking

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This applies to all Foci produced from 2000 to 2003. I'll assume it's also a *possible* issue on SVT models:

SUSPENSION - Creaking, crunching, grinding or rattle noise from front suspension at slow speeds over bumps and/or while turning

NOISE - Creaking, crunching, grinding or rattle noise from front suspension at slow speeds over bumps and/or while turning

Article Application: Supercedes TSB 03-15-3

I dont think it would be the suspension. because it happens when the car is going in a straight line. bumps dont effect it.
turned out to be a broken stud....Must have been built ford tough strange how the lugnut was still there...
Dang, at least that's all it was. How many KMs? 75,000? Or closer to your sig?
Must have broke teh stud wit all dat p0wah yo!1!1!!!!
SPV 4 life. :ph34r:

also i had the rotors turned... due to a slight rubbing issue.
"The rotars were contacting the break peds... so we dun turned em" :rofl:
Ford SRT

Special
Recall
Team
Pages: 1 2