FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Faced One Of My Greatest Fears This Weekend.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For as long as I can remember I have been terrified of rollercoaster’s I have tried numerous times to ride them each time without success. As the hill drops away I would feel as though I’m going to die. It’s really a hard thing to describe the feelings that ran though my body lets just say I wouldn’t wish them on my worst enemy. The last time I tried to ride one was about 5 years ago when my friends and I went to Cedar Point it had been 6 years since my last attempt so I figured it was worth a try. The goal was get it over with tackle the worst one first Magnum XL. As we strapped in I was OK actually excited but as we climbed the hill the feeling started to return and once we crested that hill….. I don’t remember what happened next because I passed out cold. I was carried from the ride to the hospital where I woke up about three hours later. Not my finest hour.

So I gave up trying until Saturday. My GF and her best friend arranged a surprise for me and her boyfriend Mario, we were blindfolded and put in the back of her car without a clue where we were going. Two hours later we arrive, get out of the car and start walking. Stopping after a few minutes we are told to take off our blindfolds as we stand at the gates of Canada’s Wonderland. Apprehensively I look at my GF and say you know what happened last time.. she smiled hugged me and said “That’s ok I’ll help you get though this.” We walked straight to the back of the park and as we arrived at our first ride she says “It’s all in your head so we are going to ride the mindbuster first. Great I think not some fast ultra modern coaster an old rattly wooden monster. We get in the cars and I’m not feeling good but she kept say It’s all in your head I’ll help you get though this. The result I didn’t enjoy it the feeling was terrible I felt like I was going to fly out of the car!! But I made it though it conscious which is one better than the last time. Our next ride was a standup and I almost bailed in line but she wouldn’t let me go. As we strapped in I must have looked bad because the guy checking your gear asked me twice “Are you ok?” The hill wasn’t that bad I actually kept my eyes open so I could see the loop approach… my first time upside down and it was GREAT!!! I screamed my head off I had a great time! As we got off Kristin’s friend asked did he like it? She said well he screamed this time as didn’t say a thing last time so yeah I think he liked it. The rides after that got better and better Vortex, Top Gun, Tombraider, The Bat and last the dragon flyer before we were too cold and the park was closing anyway.

I never would have tried rides again without Kristin’s help. It’s amazing the amount of trust you can put in someone you love and how much help and support they can be. I still don’t like all coasters if you asked me to go on a wooden one or a really tall one I would probably say no but at least I know I like the hanging ones… it’s a start.
Great story Simon.

Kristen sound extremely supportive. Not to mention cruel.

Marry her.
It's nice that you didn't puke on her.

:throwup:

Would have been a good test though to see if she would keep you for better or for worse.
Good for you getting over your fears.

I was scared of rollercoasters too when I was younger. I didn't really go on them till I was 17. Was really scary at first, but no problem after that.

I started with the Vortex, then Dragonspire, then the Standup, then Top Gun, and finally the Bat. Not knowing where I'm going is what really scares me.

As for wooden coasters, I find them scary because they feel like they're going to break up and fall apart at any moment. :ph34r:
You were there with my wife and son? They were there on Sat. too. The mindbuster is the only roller coaster I ride.
two hours drive to get to wonderland? damm i'm like 2 min away from that place. You should of dropped by and changed your pants :):):)
mo_focus,Oct 31 2005, 10:08 AM Wrote:two hours drive to get to wonderland? damm i'm like 2 min away from that place. You should of dropped by and changed your pants :):):)
[right][snapback]152598[/snapback][/right]

LOL Mo! It's a bit of a drive from Niagara Falls traffic sucked in Burlington and Oakville as usual.

meford4u: How do you take that thing, it feels like it's going to fall apart at any moment but the tunnel was pretty cool especially at night.

Oscar: I couldn't agree more on the wooden ones.

Andrew: Yeah I almost did on the bat.... I started to feel really bad as we were pulled up but thank god the ride didn't last long. LOL

Anthony: Yeah I was thinking the same thing.. supportive but cruel. Still I guess she has seen me at my emotional worst so if she still wants me then I should go looking for that rock then.
Yeah i used to live like a 3 min walk from wonderland. If i would have sat in a car with a blindfold on for 2 hours i would have puked!!!

Good stuff Simon. I just got over one of my fears, touching my eyeball. Contact lenses for me!!
I love roller coasters, the first time I was on them, I was scared silly, but it was just a matter of working up for me. Started off with the ghoster coaster (simple), dragon fire, then to the more extreme ones.

The only problem I have with the wooden ones are that the cars are a tad small, the last time I've gotten off the mind buster with my knees quite bloodied because they caught the screws holding the name plate at the front of the car... so I litterally have to push back on with my hands to keep from ripping my knees open.

Top gun has to be one of the best ones, but the new shoulder harnesses that cup the shoulders don't fly well with me. I feel like I'm dislocating my shoulders to fit in..
LOL Thanks Anthony now I just need to figure out what sort of ring she would like.

Puppet, I know what you mean it was harder for me to get in the standup than topgun but once your in there at least I felt safe unlike that lap bar on the mind buster.
Wilde beast powns j00.

Best coaster they have bar none!
^^-- afraid of coasters, not commitment.. good stuff!
Only coaster that freaked me out was Top Gun when it opened in 94/95... can't remember which year. Sat right at the front, first time on it... really bright move there :rolleyes:

Yeah, marry that chick. She has style :D
I don't fit in most coasters, so I don't ride em anymore. But I love the wildabeast and the mindbuster.

And Cedar Point rules for coasters. If I ever loose some weight, I am heading str8 there.
Good for you. Since my accident I don't ride coasters anymore and I miss that (Too much side to side jostling, even with the knee brace on is A Bad Thing)

Only one coaster at Canada's Wonderland I ever had problems with. The Bat, rode it once during its first year of operation. Dunno what it was about that ride, but as soon as we stopped back at the beginning after the backwards half my nose started gushing blood and didn't stop for ten minutes! :blink: I just kept my head back and waited it out while my friends laughed at me <_<

NefCanuck