FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: What Pda Should I Buy?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
At work, were in the market to purchase 3 PDA's ... what were mainly looking to do with them is store our contact lists, create/edit time sheets for jobs, and possibly a connect for usb or RS232

What do you guys suggest is our best options for a pda? palm? ipaq?

i believe were looking to spend somehere around $300
Dell Axim... best damn PDA I've ever used. It also uses the MS ActiveSync for synching with Outlook and other sources, making saving email to a PDA 15X easier.

I can't even begin to describe the grief I had with a Plam Tungsten V2 or whatever it was just recently after issuing a new Latitude D810 laptop to an engineer. The horrors!

There you go, even has integrated Bluetooth.

http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/config...CX51416_RBP_BSD
iPaq's are the way to go imo.

I used to use one in college for typing notes (with an ir keyboard) and although it was ghetto, it was more feasible at the time than a laptop.
what are you looking for?

portability? functionality? battery life? pick 2

Me personally, I've found that portability becomes the primary concern for my PDA needs. I need something I can slip into a pocket and has decent battery life. I have an iPaq 4150, and I admit, the tungsten kicks it's ass for battery life, and possibly even performance considering how slick the software is at times.

But if you want more windows functionality, then look at a pocket PC like I did. But if you go small, you may lose some functionality, you'll definitely take a hit on battery life. I find my pocket PC does well for a day's use, but it wouldn't survive a 2 week trip to mexico like a palm would.

I had...errr also have a toshiba e740.. .super functional, crappy crappy crappy battery life, and it's HUGE.

I've played with a couple of dells, but they tended to be fairly large...cheap and functional, but I just love the ergonomics of the ipaqs.

best thing you can do is get to a store and start holding some in your hand.... see what fits good for you, and work from there.
battery life is probably the lest of our worries, so i'd say something that integrates well with windows and is fairly easy to use/learn, as the 2 other people don't exactly have the most patientce in the world.

I've used the Toshiba b4 .. i think it was an e405, and i liked it, other than the battery life as puppet states
the palm pilot seems to be very popular amoungst the youth.. also the Compaq iRAQ, and lastly, the windows mobile CE PDA Smartphone
Battery life on my X5 is well in excess of a week, lots of use per day... but obviously less when using the CF 802.11b card. For instance, on the trip to Reno last week... I played Jawbreaker for 4 hours per flight / day, plus downtime in airports between flights, plus used it for MP3s either at the same time or while at the office during lunch. Was down to 20% battery when I got home Thursday night.

I just find that a LOT of those Palms are glorified business card sorters... anything PocketPC is worth owning if you want any level of pictures, video, spreadsheeting, mail functionality, etc.

My current config: 256MB SD card for MP3s, 1GB for email attachments on extended leave from the office, 802.11b CF card for Skype and webmail / Citrix.

Skype for PPC and a wireless card turns your PDA into an Internet Cell Phone... it's quite slick sitting in a coffee shop, talking on your PDA to someone hours away.
I've had several Palm models and now using the Dell Axim.

The palm's had great battery life, but my dell sucks. Maybe 2 days tops.....1/2 a day if wireless is on.

The screen and software are better on the dell, very easy to use also.
the dell x5 is a pretty big PDA...
darkpuppet,Oct 31 2005, 01:08 PM Wrote:the dell x5 is a pretty big PDA...
[right][snapback]152657[/snapback][/right]

Well like posted above, hold one and see if it really is too big, or just a right fit for you. Some might not want the smaller more ergo iPaq's... that's where the Dell's kick @ss.