FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Svt Suspension
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Like I said before, my svt suspension has arrived. I want to install it myself but I've heard alot of horror stories, so it makes me kinda weary about the whole thing. I know I CAN do it, it is possible, but should I? I'm not a auto mechanic but am mechanically inclined due to my career. I've seen and read a few "how to's" for the install, doesn't seem too hard, but not having impact tools could render me helpless. What should I do? and if you've done it, let me know what to expect. Thanks.
I know that some guys had problems with rusty bolts and not being able to take them off.

I dont have that problem, snow & salt dont touch those bolts. One reason why I dont drive her in the winter. ;)

Take your time, it took me 4.5 hours to do my FK kit & polyurethane bushing kit, so it should take you about the same. Experienced mechs, could do it in 2 hours or less.

I did have air tools, so that helped, I also rented a spring compressor, but we only used it for the front struts.....

Flofocus,Oct 27 2005, 02:41 PM Wrote:I know that some guys had problems with rusty bolts and not being able to take them off.

I dont have that problem, snow & salt dont touch those bolts.  One reason why I dont drive her in the winter.  ;)

Take your time, it took me 4.5 hours to do my FK kit & polyurethane bushing kit, so it should take you about the same.  Experienced mechs, could do it in 2 hours or less.

I did have air tools, so that helped, I also rented a spring compressor, but we only used it for the front struts.....
[right][snapback]151955[/snapback][/right]

Damn Bolts!!!!! Well I had'er apart today......I couldn't take off the lower shock bolts. No impact gun just me and the boxend. After I got'er back together I thought of something...what if I drove to a garage and had them losen then snug up the bolts again, but just tight enough to take them out at home? HHmmm...
residentdud,Oct 28 2005, 01:52 AM Wrote:
Flofocus,Oct 27 2005, 02:41 PM Wrote:I know that some guys had problems with rusty bolts and not being able to take them off.

I dont have that problem, snow & salt dont touch those bolts.  One reason why I dont drive her in the winter.  ;)

Take your time, it took me 4.5 hours to do my FK kit & polyurethane bushing kit, so it should take you about the same.  Experienced mechs, could do it in 2 hours or less.

[right][snapback]151955[/snapback][/right]

Damn Bolts!!!!! Well I had'er apart today......I couldn't take off the lower shock bolts. No impact gun just me and the boxend. After I got'er back together I thought of something...what if I drove to a garage and had them losen then snug up the bolts again, but just tight enough to take them out at home? HHmmm...
[right][snapback]152155[/snapback][/right]

You could try that, or buy an air compressor! :P

Did you try the ol pry bar.....putting a long PVC tube or some sort of tube around your ratchet to give you more torque?h
Flofocus,Oct 28 2005, 08:17 AM Wrote:Did you try the ol pry bar.....putting a long PVC tube or some sort of tube around your ratchet to give you more torque?h
[right][snapback]152169[/snapback][/right]
I doubt that you'd get a mechanic to loosen them up for you, for 2 reasons. If he snaps the bolts he'd have to replace them, and second he'll likely tell ya to get lost, people invest in tools to make money. You're taking money out of his pocket. But you can try.

DON'T use an extension bar on a ratchet, even good ones snap and then you'll be forced to go back to wherever you have the warranty to get a new one (at best) or be mopping up the blood fron skinned knuckles.

I have air tools, but what I'd do (and usually do anyways) is wire brush the threads and spray the bejezzez out of the bolts with Liquid Wrench the day before (let it soak in overnight), and use a Johnson bar, that's what it's designed for.
OAC_Sparky,Oct 28 2005, 08:39 AM Wrote:
Flofocus,Oct 28 2005, 08:17 AM Wrote:Did you try the ol pry bar.....putting a long PVC tube or some sort of tube around your ratchet to give you more torque?h
[right][snapback]152169[/snapback][/right]
DON'T use an extension bar on a ratchet, even good ones snap and then you'll be forced to go back to wherever you have the warranty to get a new one (at best) or be mopping up the blood fron skinned knuckles.

[right][snapback]152172[/snapback][/right]

On the Justy, every god damn bolt is rsuted to s**t. :lol: I soak them in WD-40 or liquid wrench for a few hours and use the PVC tube with a key. Always works. I see where your going though....I've broken my cheap ratchets doing this, but never had my snap-on/mastercraft ratchets brake on me.
Flofocus,Oct 28 2005, 11:02 AM Wrote:On the Justy, every god damn bolt is rsuted to s**t.  :lol:  I soak them in WD-40 or liquid wrench for a few hours and use the PVC tube with a key.  Always works.  I see where your going though....I've broken my cheap ratchets doing this, but never had my snap-on/mastercraft ratchets brake on me.
[right][snapback]152198[/snapback][/right]
In my time I once had even a Craftsman Torque wrench snap the gear inside (OFC, right when I was torquing a set of heads), no ratchet is immune. I just hate seeing anyone get hurt. A good breaker bar (Or johnson bar) is worth its weight in gold.

PartSource often has sales on the Liquid Wrench, 3 cans for like $6, always keep the stuff on hand. WD40 is ok, it's not as much of a lubricant as LW.
Day 3: Yesterday I finally made some progress. Finally installed the rear end...no prob. The front was a different story, 10 hrs yesterday...no progress at all. I had the front end apart except for the two lower strut bolts, which kept me from doing anything. I went to crappy tire this morning and had them remove the bolts for about $40....and now that they're out I hope to god there are no more probs. Please don't let there be a day 4.
So I guess you don't want to hear that I did mine in about 2hrs. Including changing the front sway bar. I also did another one in about the same length of time. I have air tools but no hoist. Just used a jack and stands.
bluetoy,Oct 30 2005, 11:09 PM Wrote:So I guess you don't want to hear that I did mine in about 2hrs. Including changing the front sway bar. I also did another one in about the same length of time. I have air tools but no hoist. Just used a jack and stands.
[right][snapback]152514[/snapback][/right]

Done and done!...Finally. Even though it took a couple days, I at least saved a few bucks. Feels good.
Should probably get an aligment now. ;)

Let us know how it rides!
Flofocus,Oct 31 2005, 02:28 AM Wrote:Should probably get an aligment now.  ;)

Let us know how it rides!
[right][snapback]152538[/snapback][/right]

Wow...feels good. Just what I was looking for...not too low, since I have a sedan it's actually sitting lower, but feels great. I took her out along the same stretches of road that I did before the install and I can definately feel the difference...and only cost me roughly 400 bucks complete, plus three days:). The definate need of air tools and me not having them till yesterday was a real burn. I went to crappy tire 4 times yesterday, broke 5 15mm sockets, bought a nice torch, that didn't work, bought an impact gun at like closing lastnight and borrowed a compressor, then....after I got the compressor which was at like 8pm...all happy and tired at the same time, I noticed that the impact gun ( which was totally my own dumb asses fault ) had no nipple, or fitting I needed to hook up the hose...what a day. The bolt holding the strut to the top of the wheel on the drivers side was in bad shape after I beat the hell out of it with the gun...and the torch it still wouldn't budge. I had to shave it down to a 14mm head to get it off finally. I actually took it to my shop the day after I tried to do it manually and he backed out the bolts everywhere else and I guess forgot about those, we where talking and joking about stuff so I wouldn't be surprised, dumbass, lol. But yeah...I love the ride and am totally happy with the final outcome of my 3 day dillema.
Good to hear, but get an alignment so you dont chew threw your tires!!
Flofocus,Oct 31 2005, 08:41 PM Wrote:Good to hear, but get an alignment so you dont chew threw your tires!!
[right][snapback]152729[/snapback][/right]

Yep, going tomorrow...but now I have another prob, she's running rough like crazy. This is the same problem I was having a couple weeks ago then went away. At idle it runs high, even when warm (800-1000rpm) When the car's moving, it's fine, but then when I stop at a light she dips done to almost stall. Sounds like fun.
:postpics:

Any pictures of what it looks like before and after the SVT? That's something I'm thinking of doing to mine.

Ryan
reldridge,Nov 1 2005, 10:04 PM Wrote::postpics:

Any pictures of what it looks like before and after the SVT? That's something I'm thinking of doing to mine.

Ryan
[right][snapback]153036[/snapback][/right]

sorry, didn't take any pics...too stressed to even think about it. The car is sitting a little lower than predicted it would be. I guess it all comes down to what YOU want (ride height). This way it's all Ford Racing parts, for your warranty, and it doesn't look like you "slammed" the car. I personally don't see a reason for a car that low or cambered out unless you're at the track or live in Brampton. LOL.
residentdud,Nov 1 2005, 11:25 PM Wrote:
reldridge,Nov 1 2005, 10:04 PM Wrote::postpics:

Ryan
[right][snapback]153036[/snapback][/right]

sorry, didn't take any pics...too stressed to even think about it. The car is sitting a little lower than predicted it would be. I guess it all comes down to what YOU want (ride height). This way it's all Ford Racing parts, for your warranty, and it doesn't look like you "slammed" the car. I personally don't see a reason for a car that low or cambered out unless you're at the track or live in Brampton. LOL.
[right][snapback]153051[/snapback][/right]

and P.S. it's definately worth the money (270 something US) for the whole kit
I ordered the kit today.$297.00 US shipped to Winterpeg. Should save about 120-130 dollars Canadian over the Steeda.ca store!!!
TonyDee,Nov 2 2005, 04:44 PM Wrote:I ordered the kit today.$297.00 US shipped to Winterpeg. Should save about 120-130 dollars Canadian over the Steeda.ca store!!!
[right][snapback]153207[/snapback][/right]

Delivery threw UPS? You wont save that much :ph34r:
Flofocus,Nov 2 2005, 08:52 PM Wrote:[quote=TonyDee,Nov 2 2005, 04:44 PM]I ordered the kit today.$297.00 US shipped to Winterpeg. Should save about 120-130 dollars Canadian over the Steeda.ca store!!!
[right][snapback]153207[/snapback][/right]

Delivery threw UPS? You wont save that much :ph34r:
[right][snapback]153212[/snapback][/right]
[/quot

Mine was sent by UPS and the shipping was only 40 bucks from down south. Ford Racing said it would take about 3 weeks...it took 3 days.
Pages: 1 2