FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Anyone Else Concerned With All The Violence?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
An interesting question asked on the news this morning.

Would you consider a gun for safety while living in Toronto?

What has happened to our once clean and safe city we took so much pride in???

Let's discuss.
ANTHONYD,Oct 25 2005, 09:40 AM Wrote:An interesting question asked on the news this morning.

Let's discuss.
[right][snapback]151286[/snapback][/right]

If I lived in Toronto, I would certainly have a gun. I would have the one I had last year, a Remington 12 gauge Semi-Auto Shotgun. :D
Oscar The Grouch,Oct 25 2005, 09:54 AM Wrote:
ANTHONYD,Oct 25 2005, 09:40 AM Wrote:An interesting question asked on the news this morning.

Let's discuss.
[right][snapback]151286[/snapback][/right]

If I lived in Toronto, I would certainly have a gun. I would have the one I had last year, a Remington 12 gauge Semi-Auto Shotgun. :D
[right][snapback]151288[/snapback][/right]

I'm not talking to people who shoot in order to eat. :P
nah, I'm fine thank you very much. I stay away from the 'hood, don't get into arguments with my drug dealers, don't get drunk at a block party hosted by two different gangs, and I definitely don't mac on anotha nigga's ho.

Other than that, owning a gun would be useless to defend against a drive-by, so what's the point. I'm pretty good at staying out of trouble for the most part. ... occasionally a homeless person will pick a fight with me, but it's never turned out to be a serious problem.

now am I concerned about violence? yup.. I don't want this kinda mess in my city, but it's gangsters taking out gangsters here, or natives taking out natives (and the occasional whitey) in thunder bay... take your pick. Hang with the wrong people, you gonna get shot in many cases.

I just hope I'm not hanging with people that are gonna get me shot, that's all.
If I lived there, I would have 2 dogs. Just in case the 1st one gets shot. :P :lol:

Joke, I don't think I would buy a gun for safety ever really.....unless the USA was invading us!! :huh:

I would do what DP does, just stay out of the 'danger zone'. :lol:
ANTHONYD,Oct 25 2005, 09:56 AM Wrote:I'm not talking to people who shoot in order to eat. :P
[right][snapback]151289[/snapback][/right]

Don't eat beef, eat deer!!! :lol:

Shouldn't this topic be in the Ontario Section ? I mean it's only a Toronto Problem thus far, unless you are talking about nationally?

I would still consider Toronto a safe place to live in, I live in Brampton and I think Toronto is very safe in comparison to places like Los Angeles, Chicago, and New York City. Chicago is already up to somewhere in the 1,800 range for murders alone.... So Toronto is not that bad as of yet.
What violence? :huh:
Frost__2001,Oct 25 2005, 10:40 AM Wrote:Shouldn't this topic be in the Ontario Section ? I mean it's only a Toronto Problem thus far, unless you are talking about nationally?

I would still consider Toronto a safe place to live in, I live in Brampton and I think Toronto is very safe in comparison to places like Los Angeles, Chicago, and New York City. Chicago is already up to somewhere in the 1,800 range for murders alone.... So Toronto is not that bad as of yet.
[right][snapback]151301[/snapback][/right]

I thought it would be interesting to get perspective from others who may only be experiencing it through the media. B)
ANTHONYD,Oct 25 2005, 11:12 AM Wrote:
Frost__2001,Oct 25 2005, 10:40 AM Wrote:Shouldn't this topic be in the Ontario Section ? I mean it's only a Toronto Problem thus far, unless you are talking about nationally?

I thought it would be interesting to get perspective from others who may only be experiencing it through the media. B)
[right][snapback]151311[/snapback][/right]

Except those who shoot to eat. Right.... :rolleyes:
I dunno, am I more concerned than I was say ten years ago? Honestly I would have to say yes, but that has more to do with the fact that rather than dealing with problems, society seems content to let things slide under the radar until something disasterous happens and then "It's the end of the world as we know it"

Perfect example of this: The TTC was in the midst of slowly adding video monitoring devices for their bus drivers, ostensibly to enhance driver and passenger safety, it was being done, but not with any great haste...

Until that unfortunate TTC driver gets shot in the head and THEN it becomes "Crisis! Crisis! We have a Crisis!"

This "React only when the feces hits the fan" mentality has to stop. We as a society have to become proactive rather than reactive otherwise we'll always be a step behind and someone will suffer because of it.

NefCanuck
Oscar The Grouch,Oct 25 2005, 11:17 AM Wrote:

[right][snapback]151313[/snapback][/right]

right.
:)
ANTHONYD,Oct 25 2005, 12:12 PM Wrote:
Oscar The Grouch,Oct 25 2005, 11:17 AM Wrote:

[right][snapback]151313[/snapback][/right]

right.
:)
[right][snapback]151328[/snapback][/right]

Don't you have a tree to hug?
anthony, when you reply to ^^, please dont quote the whole thing. :rolleyes: :ph34r:
honestly...I'm not concerned.....

the Media is simply making it seem like a bigger deal than it is....it's their way of getting you to watch their newscast...to draw in viewers to see what happened today...another shooting? an innocent person robbed?

all these things have happened on any given day of any given year in the past....it's nothing new really.

Frost__2001,Oct 25 2005, 09:40 AM Wrote:Shouldn't this topic be in the Ontario Section ? I mean it's only a Toronto Problem thus far, unless you are talking about nationally?

Are you the new regional mod? You bring this up a lot. Anytime something only concerns Toronto, whether it be a hockey game or a cruise, it's "Shouldn't this be in the Ontario Section??" Let it slide, jeeves.

I am certainly concerned with the increased level of violence and not being involved in it means fack all. The man who's van was hit with a stray bullet yesterday wasn't involved in anything, he was just driving along minding his own business. The kid that was shot in the head on the bus wasn't involved, just caught in the cross fire. The problem here is that these problems are no longer isolated to the gangs and their members... innocent people are getting killed. It's bullshit, and the question I ask is why the hell are there so many guns on the street?? The police were so focused on Marijuana grow ops that they forgot to keep a cap on the number of guns entering the city. Sad really.

I wouldn't own one... what's the point? I'm not going to avoid getting shot just cause I have a 9mm in my top drawer. If it's gonna happen it's gonna happen.
The reason why there are so many guns and violence is becuase people THINK they need a gun to protect themselves. They carry it just "incase", they wehn someone try to rob them, they shoot, hit or miss, it doesnt help the situtaion.

Gun violence has been a real problem for about the last 15 years. It has accelerated in the last 5 though, I'll grant you that much. When we moved back to Toronto in 1989 from up north, I used to hear gunshots in the parking lot behind my house because 2 MTHA towers were on the other side of Lawrence Ave. They'd deal in the relative safety of a dark corner of a building, and then shoot when price agreements couldn't be made.

Violence on the whole has always been prevalent in Toronto, and it is suffering from "big city" disease. Always has, always will. All cities rot from the core outward. As the throngs of innocents scurry to move out to the "good life", all their rental apartments are soaked up by those who would use them as a "crash pad" and not much more, a drug den, or even a stopover point for illegal immigrants.

It's the way of the world, and that's what happens when you have a willy-nilly immigration system. Ever wonder why some of those MTHA towers stink to high heaven like curry and B.O.? Exactly. People arrive here, fresh off the boat, and they're not used to running water and relaxed living spaces... so they cram 10+ people into an apartment to make it even cheaper, and the resulting chaos is never stopped by anyone in power. It's one thing to move to a new country... it's another to try and ruin it to make it resemble your old one.

I grew up in the "Fairly Badlands" between Weston / Eglinton and Weston / 401. Jane / Lawrence was always overhyped, but that was due to its proximity to a real problem, Trethewey Drive. That's one place you give 24 hours' notice to the unfortunates that live there, and then gas the place and clean house. It's remarkably sad considering 12 Div. is right there.

Even Lambton Av and others right there are downright disgusting at night because of the MTHA towers and low-rise geared-to-income buildings. Entire gangs of wannabes hang out at the corners by the mom-n-pop stores anrd harass the general public. I've never been approached, but that's because... well, let's say my reputation precedes me and leave it at that.

Another big problem? The cops. They don't come out for s**t anymore. They were all too happy to bust a kid with a ponytail for holding down a nigh-shift job and driving his parents' minivan to and from work, but would they clean the jerks off the streets? Nope. Trethewey Drive is a stunning example of complacency. They could have cleaned it out years ago, but they didn't. Now we have Todd Bayliss Drive... I wonder why that is, huh? :rolleyes:

I haven't been "afraid" yet while visiting my parents, but there are some new families on their street, and more than one has regular visits from the local 12 Div. squads.

In a nutshell? The whole town is going to hell. I'm glad I'm here, even though North Bay's crime has gone up as well.
NOS2Go4Me,Oct 25 2005, 01:39 PM Wrote:I've never been approached, but that's because... well, let's say my reputation precedes me and leave it at that.
[right][snapback]151356[/snapback][/right]

I laughed pretty hard here. :P :lol:
Nice... but if only you knew how insane I was as a teenager... :ph34r:
Pages: 1 2