FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Best Place For Car Insurance?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I'm going to be importing the car very soon (like when i get around to getting the paperwork done and whatnot). Whats the best place for insurance?

wifey currently pays ~$180/month (through RBC) on an 02 focus and her driving record is clean.

I did quotes on state farm's site, as thats the company I've used forever in the states, and they want nearly $300/month! RBC quoted me at $177/month using their online thinger. After looking at those, I was ready to puke and stopped looking around.

I know living in Scarborough is 99% of the problem because these people can't drive worth a damn.

Going from $550/year to over $2k a year is a little difficult for me to stomach.

I wonder if having an Ontario license for over a year will make a difference, as thats one of the questions that was asked.

No one ever really asked how long I've been licensed for either.
Insurance is uber high up here. Before I hit 25 I was over $300 on the Focus. Even worse, because I have an at fault accident on my record I can't change companies, at least not without taking in the hoop for pricing. Last quote I got when I looked around elsewhere was over $400 a month (and that was after turning 25).

A buddy of mine has had great success with Bell Air Direct, he's under $100 a month on a 91 Jetta (he was over $200 a month with other companies before).
I've found that CAA has been the best bet for me...

I pay $69/year for the CAA membership... and they save me about $500/yr over the next lowest insurance company (TD).

And sure, I am an old man now, but I pay about a grand/yr for my convertible... and chicks get much better deals than us men... so you can try putting her as the primary driver and you as the occasional.

good luck. Insurance ain't cheap, but it's handy.
It all depends on what area you live in and your past insurance recorde. Plus if the VIN is only 10 Digit... Good luck to ya. Most will accept it with a sur charge but others will not take it.
I pay $144/mth for my ZX5.. So I think my premium is $1800/yr or something for the focus. Not bad for me since I'm 22. The company i'm with is Bel Air Direct.
Thanks for the replies guys. Gonna call RBC about any discounts if we're on the same policy.

Checked belair direct and they came up with $135/month for me only, so I think if RBC can't help, we'll switch both of us over to them.

BTW, never heard of a 10 digit VIN.
Skyline... JAP CRAP.
Not saying Skyline is a JAP CRAP but you know what I mean and if it is right hand drive make sure you have a sticker stating that it is in your back window or bumper just in case MTO goes Wop Wop.
goto insurancehotline.com

I found my best rate there.

one thing is regardless of if you are shopping or switching companys for insurance they will always default you to being a new driver, all of them do this in Ontario. Also your a higher risk rate as well as you've had a licence outside of Canada, and have not had your Canadian one more then a year yet.

Also the new thing they are doing at some companys like sunlife is put you thru a credit check, and in sunlifes case, if you refuse they will increse your rate because you refused.

personally I have been with a few insurance companys and I can say RBC I found over all was the best one to deal with, and I'd honestly tell you as good as Statefarm claims to be, they are far from it... as they dropped me one year because I added another person to my policy, and I was with them for more then 5 years.

BTW, I'm paying $82/month for the focus.
Frost__2001,Jun 29 2009, 04:36 PM Wrote:one thing is regardless of if you are shopping or switching companys for insurance they will always default you to being a new driver, all of them do this in Ontario. Also your a higher risk rate as well as you've had a licence outside of Canada, and have not had your Canadian one more then a year yet.

Also the new thing they are doing at some companys like sunlife is put you thru a credit check, and in sunlifes case, if you refuse they will increse your rate because you refused.

personally I have been with a few insurance companys and I can say RBC I found over all was the best one to deal with, and I'd honestly tell you as good as Statefarm claims to be, they are far from it... as they dropped me one year because I added another person to my policy, and I was with them for more then 5 years.

BTW, I'm paying $82/month for the focus.
[right][snapback]290372[/snapback][/right]

x2 - I've recently switched to RBC and I think they're great. For my wife and I we pay 280 a month for the two Fusions ... and that's with the full replacement value rider, rental car coverage, 3 million in liability, income replacement, and a bunch of other stuff. That's 600 a year less than my last policy with Kemper through an agency.
we (wife and I) pay 200$ for two cars. Both clean records i think :D

Try all the companie and see who gives you the lowest amount. This might help as well.
http://www.kanetix.ca/

they sort of do the leg work for you.

Also if you are a member of some orginasation or compnay they might have The Personnal. We use them and they are really good. Saved us about 40 a month.

Ohh BTW also mention you have snow tires as well, that gets you 5% discount as well.
Hahah, I just check Kanetix.ca ... if I didn't have that accident, my insurance would be half what it is now .... BS!!

Edit: I just ran the same info through as if I was living with my GF in oakville .... $1000 a year less!!! WTF!
Ontario insurance companies, and Ontario's insurance environment itself = FAIL.

However, I have RBC Insurance for the truck and the house. 150/mo for all, and obviously full coverage on the truck. RBC has always been good to me, and every couple of years I check their rates. They're always at the bottom or near the bottom of what's available to me.
If you change md term you'll have a cancelation charge plus a bad mark on your MVR. So change companies or cancel at the end of the terms.
Yes they do a credit report in order to see if you have the funds and creditability to pay for there service.
Just to mess with you... Insurance Companies Like RBC or StateFarm, say that your insured with them but you might actually be insured with other companies such as Facilties or other Insurance Companies. So you pay for your main company's charge plus the additional charge you'll never see from the company that is charging your company lol. It might be hard to understand at first but thats the way life works.
Also say Joe Blow T-bones you car. Your not at fault. Most ppl think that your insurance company will pay nothing and that they will go to court to fight for your right and the bill for your car. Wrong. Joe's Insurance covers him and him only. Your insurance pays for your bill and never see the other company at all. There was a law that was past about this to prevent the same insurance company from sueing itselft and stop accident lawsuits from tieing up countless amounts of money and time in the court system.
Lastly, all insurance companies treat you as first time drivers depending on weather or not you last insurance company was cooperative enough to provide your new company with a letter of experience, if not then the new company will have to look deeper into your MVR record which no one ever see out side of the insurance world :P :P
My 2 Cents.
I use Hallmark BRB, broker, only place that would handle me back in the day with 3 speeding tickets, plus the rate was quite good then, not the $800/month others wanted.
Anyways, I'm still with them 8yrs later. I think my actual coverage is through Wawanesa.
State Farm is by far the most expensive.
Wow, I can't believe how expensive insurance is in Ontario.
We pay 800$/year for both our vehicles ('07 Focus St and '07 Freestar Sport).
Sure we are both over 25 but my gawd...
But we do pay higher licensing fees every year. About 180$ per car. This depends on where you live. If you live in the city, it cost you way more to try to get you to use public transportation, and also, there is the large engine displacement surcharge (90 to 150 more) for 4 litre + engine.

j3rt,Jun 30 2009, 09:21 AM Wrote:I use Hallmark BRB, broker, only place that would handle me back in the day with 3 speeding tickets, plus the rate was quite good then, not the $800/month others wanted.
Anyways, I'm still with them 8yrs later.  I think my actual coverage is through Wawanesa.
State Farm is by far the most expensive.
[right][snapback]290392[/snapback][/right]

I've been with State Farm since I was 16 (over 25 years). They were the best for car and bike insurance where others wouldn't touch us for less than 3K/year. Now with the house and wife's car under them I'm paying just under 1K/year for my Marauder full coverage.

I've never had a problem when my vehicles have been broken into (many times over the years) or damaged when tried to be stolen,or involved in an accident either my fault or the other persons. The cars are fixed wherever I want and everything is taken care of right away.
torradan,Jun 29 2009, 09:29 AM Wrote:Thanks for the replies guys.  Gonna call RBC about any discounts if we're on the same policy. 

Checked belair direct and they came up with $135/month for me only, so I think if RBC can't help, we'll switch both of us over to them.

BTW, never heard of a 10 digit VIN.
[right][snapback]290356[/snapback][/right]

BEWARE My buddy wanted a Skyline GTR 93 I Believe, he called around got quotes finally desided to take the plunge and get one shipped over Great car amazing performance Called back the companies he got quotes fro and they advised him that they do not Insure vehicles with 10 Digit VIN numbers. He kept calling around and finally found a company that would insure 10 digit Vin and It ended up 3 times higher that his orginal cheapest quote. So Its Up for Sale now.