FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Cai Through Winter Months
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just curious to know if anybody keeps their cai on through winter?. Thinking of changing mine to the short ram when i do my tires but i'm just too damn lazy..
yea, i use to change it back to my stock intake during the winter months but now i'm getting really lazy and it's so cold and i don't have a garage to work in so i might just leave it on and order a "water jacket" or whatever their called from C-F-M which will slip over the cone filter to protect it from all the dirt and stuff.
I swich my VOLANT out every year for the stocker.
If its any consolation, I'm keeping my short ram intake on this winter.
I'm stuck with my supercharger intake at bumper level over the winter... drove it through last winter (and did some snow plowin' ) without any ill effects as far as I know.
I've in the past left my CAI on the car (VOLANT) in winter, no problems at all. Previous year I had a STEEDA SR on the car in winter, no problems.
I'd definatley take it off...

Short rams/ volants.... makes no difference.

if you do any sort of frequent winter driving definatley remove it.

I was talking to a couple honda guys with cai's that blew their engines over the winter because the filter would freeze up restrict flow ... and thaw... then hydrolock their motors.

Puppet... lol your car is an 02 and has less than 30k on it. not frequent enough.
I take mine off. I know what you mean about being lazy, but for the hour you could spend to remove it, it's worth the piece of mind that you won't furk your engine by accident. An ounce of prevension is worth a pound of cure in this case.
I drove mine with the first cone on the stock intake tubing from January - end of winter... no ill effects. I'll be doing the same this winter.
i encourage people to take it off - plus if you live here in the great white north - the factory box help your car warm up alot faster (i find) - anyways to the SUBJECT _ __ _ _ I AM TAKING MY OFF!!
I've seen it dripping wet in summers when I had one on my car, and found that I got some missfires when it was raining because of this (...or just cuz its a focus...)

Id forsure remove it if you could. Its not a real big deal for a CAI, about 15 minutes...

Oscar The Grouch,Oct 24 2005, 08:56 AM Wrote:If its any consolation, I'm keeping my short ram intake on this winter.
[right][snapback]151083[/snapback][/right]

so am i Oscar, let's hope our great white north weather doesn't do anything to harm our engines :unsure:
Any short ram .. where it be the volant, iceman, ebay kinds et al ... doesnt need to be removed... you wont have any problems, infact its basically impossible for anything to go wrong with those kind of intakes as long as your filter is in proper condition.

Aem / Bomz intakes that goto the front of the car I would either A. Remove them if your not a bigtime car guy who likes to get dirty.... or B. Get under the car alot and check.

If their oiled up enough youll never get hydro lock from normal conditions, and this word is used way way too frequently because it almost never happens. Even when people think its happens its usually something else... Ive seen people feed straight water into their intake to clean their engines... So youd have to put quite a bit ...

The problem with the cai's though is that what happens if your not careful is that underneat the fender wall / bumper / that area can collect alot of snow and solidify to an extent. This in turn keeps filling up the area until the filter itself is surrounded with packed in ice/snow.

What then happens is that it plays with your air fuel alot because eventually if you leave it long enough itll get to the point where its getting in 50% and even less of the air it wants.

A story...

A honda friend came to my house last year complaining is car was sluggish and wouldnt go into Vtec... I took it for a drive and noticed something was wrong right away because there was little to no throttle response. I opened the hood and noticed the aem intake... followed it down and in hondas its in almost a plastic box the way the fender liners / bumper liners work..... Anyways I jacked the car and right away I showed him his problem... Snow had been packed into this box SO HARD that there was a layer of inch thick ice that had formed over most of his filter and the rest of the box was packed! in snow.

I took it all apart to realize that the ice had probably melted / refroze 100 times and warped his filter and split it at a certain point... Who knows how much ice/snow/water got sucked up ... but his engine was perfectly fine. I took the filter to the sink and ran hot water on it and let it defraw... we then went to his house to get the stock intake and installed that up. Car was perfectly fine after that.
I ran all of last winter with my CAI with no problems(in the middle of BC). And now again this winter with the filter from the procharger up in the front fender. As long as you are aware it is there and check on it every so often, as you should anyways, you shouldn't have any problems.
hardk0re,Oct 24 2005, 09:24 PM Wrote:Id forsure remove it if you could.  Its not a real big deal for a CAI, about 15 minutes...
[right][snapback]151243[/snapback][/right]

speak for yourself.... a 2005 is way more involved than an older foci hence the reason it won't be installed untill spring

tdot-zx3,Oct 24 2005, 10: Wrote:If their oiled up enough youll never get hydro lock from normal conditions, and this word is used way way too frequently because it almost never happens. Even when people think its happens its usually something else... Ive seen  people feed straight water into their intake to clean their engines... So youd have to put quite a bit ...

[right][snapback]151254[/snapback][/right]

i've heard of a really thirsty tempo before that was fed a garden hose to quench its thirst... worked great..
Crazirich,Oct 25 2005, 12:22 PM Wrote:
hardk0re,Oct 24 2005, 09:24 PM Wrote:Id forsure remove it if you could.  Its not a real big deal for a CAI, about 15 minutes...
[right][snapback]151243[/snapback][/right]

speak for yourself.... a 2005 is way more involved than an older foci hence the reason it won't be installed untill spring
[right][snapback]151331[/snapback][/right]

Technically, once you get that abortion of an airbox out of the way, the 2005-06 Focus is the easiest to work with in that regard because of the location of the TB.

But yes, your stock airbox licks great big ugly dripping monkey nuts. That is all.
tdot-zx3,Oct 24 2005, 11: Wrote:I took it all apart to realize that the ice had probably melted / refroze 100 times and warped his filter and split it at a certain point... Who knows how much ice/snow/water got sucked up ... but his engine was perfectly fine. I took the filter to the sink and ran hot water on it and let it defraw... we then went to his house to get the stock intake and installed that up. Car was perfectly fine after that.
[right][snapback]151254[/snapback][/right]

Working on rice actually makes you speak like a ricer.

Studies have shown.
Taking your volant off for winter makes you .... =P

I still dont know how to spell that word. Is it even a real word .. ha ha ha ...
It's defrost.. as in Frost goes to work, parks in the wrong spot, and they tow his car.

Usage: "We just de-Frosted the parking lot. Wait till he sees the tow bill!" :lol:

Or... you're thinking of THAW. Actually, looks like you fused two words together. Just like that new Civic... an unholy fusion of cars best left unimagined.
Pages: 1 2