FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Another Brake Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There was a similar thread a little over a year ago, but it was too early then to really answer the question.

After 5 years of seeing Focus brakes go "off" early, Ford finally put larger front rotors on the 2005 models ... ostensibly to "enhance" braking, but really it was to reduce customer dissatisfaction and warranty costs.

So now that we've got a few members driving the new model, perhaps its time to re-ask these two questions:

1) how are they holding up ... any better than prior years?

2) How difficult / easy would it be to "upgrade" a prior model with '05 front rotors?
ZTWsquared,Oct 19 2005, 03:31 PM Wrote:There was a similar thread a little over a year ago, but it was too early then to really answer the question.

After 5 years of seeing Focus brakes go "off" early, Ford finally put larger front rotors on the 2005 models ... ostensibly to "enhance" braking, but really it was to reduce customer dissatisfaction and warranty costs.

So now that we've got a few members driving the new model, perhaps its time to re-ask these two questions:

1) how are they holding up ... any better than prior years?

2) How difficult / easy would it be to "upgrade" a prior model with '05 front rotors?
[right][snapback]150238[/snapback][/right]

Running an '05 AFAIK the dealership did jack to the brakes when they sold it to me with 14,712km/8 months of use on it and I'm at 25,600km/13 months total usage. No weirdness I can detect (pulsing, dragging, pulling to the side when braking)

When did the last gen models start showing problems? (time/mileage)

NefCanuck
I cannot get over the stopping power! Even in the rain I have yet to slide from a stop, (thanks to those ever so sweet P6's) no matter how hard I brake. Once I was going a little over 30 km/h coming to a red light , knowing it would just change, but it didn't as anticipated and I came to a stop so quick nor I or my g'f could beleive it. This was all within a meter and a half to two meters total stopping distance.
NefCanuck,Oct 19 2005, 04:07 PM Wrote:Running an '05 AFAIK the dealership did jack to the brakes when they sold it to me with 14,712km/8 months of use on it and I'm at 25,600km/13 months total usage.  No weirdness I can detect (pulsing, dragging, pulling to the side when braking)

When did the last gen models start showing problems? (time/mileage)

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]150245[/snapback][/right]

My wife and I have had 6 Foci in total ... every one of them (including our '04) started showing signs of premature wear or some sort of problem around the 20k mark.

After the brakes on my third Focus went off, I learned about Ford's "quiet" warranty whereby they would replace rotors (but not pads) if you complained hard enough and had less than 20K on them.

Every Focus since, I've automatically taken in at about 19k and complained bitterly ... and got new rotors in every case.

The second set of rotors now on my wife's car are in poor shape at 34k -- with deep scars where something's been digging into them. They still stop pretty good, but the pulsing is gradually coming back.

I was hoping that when the time comes to replace these rotors, that somehow I could replace them with the rotors of the '05 -- just not sure what's involved.
I think that the premature brake wear could be somewhat attributed to the user. I know of quite a few foci with over 75K still on their first set of rotors (including myself.) Then there some heavy brakers (like Raine) who are on their 3rd set of rotors under 75K. :iono:
I machined mine at 30 something km's no probs yet 47.5km's, well again lets say. they were shaking pretty bad. I did buy a set of OEM ford boxed ones before the price went up.. when the cars came out in 2004 they were $22 each :D
Changed mine at 60K (1st set). Im at 110Km now with the second set, and have lots of pad/rotor left.

My rears will have to be replaced for the 1st time soon.
My brakes seem to be holding up well at it's current odometer reading of approx. 32,000 km.

Working at Ford dealer, I've seen brake issues as early as 10,000 km, and that's not necessarily brake replacement required, it may just be pulsation, pulling, squealing, etc...

Brakes on a Focus seem to last between 30,000 and 70,000 km, depending on the driver. But almost ALWAYS the rotors have to be replaced because if we were to machine them, they would be below minimum spec.

I believe last I measured my brakes, I had approx. 7mm left on the front, and only a slight lip around the edge of the rotor, showing that some rotor wear is occuring. I wouldn't say I drive nicely either, I would define it more as 'spirited' once in a while. I also like to torment passengers that think not wearing a seat belt in my vehicle is acceptable. "Brake check" is my favorite one, but otherwise, I'll drive as fast as I can around corners and watch them scramble for their safety restraint. :)

As for swapping brakes, I don't see a large issue. The brakes and suspension are the most alike things between the 1st and 2nd generation Focus. I plan on putting SVT rear brakes on the rear of my ZX5 instead of the lovely, and ugly, drum brakes the Ford graciously built the vehicle with. :)
well i'm driving a 05 Focus sedan right now as a rental, because i brought my SVTF in for service, i was playing around the other day and testing the brakes out, mind you it was rainy out so it was pretty slippy. but anyways, i broke as hard as i could and i slid as far as the eye could see (middle of night with no one around). the brakes locked up nicely, but the tires just sucked arse. the pedal feel in the 05 focus sedan even felt better then my svtf. i beleive if it came with better tires just maybe it'd stop faster than my svtf?
SLIP STREAM SVT,Oct 24 2005, 08:05 AM Wrote:well i'm driving a 05 Focus sedan right now as a rental, because i brought my SVTF in for service, i was playing around the other day and testing the brakes out, mind you it was rainy out so it was pretty slippy. but anyways, i broke as hard as i could and i slid as far as the eye could see (middle of night with no one around).  the brakes locked up nicely, but the tires just sucked arse. the pedal feel in the 05 focus sedan even felt better then my svtf. i beleive if it came with better tires just maybe it'd stop faster than my svtf?
[right][snapback]151076[/snapback][/right]

Do you remember which tires the rental has/had? I like the Pirelli P6's on mine (they handled the miserable weather we had this weekend without a whimper)

I've heard split opinions on those & the Conti's, some love 'em, others loathe 'em

NefCanuck
dBlast,Oct 19 2005, 05:38 PM Wrote:I think that the premature brake wear could be somewhat attributed to the user.  I know of quite a few foci with over 75K still on their first set of rotors (including myself.)  Then there some heavy brakers (like Raine) who are on their 3rd set of rotors under 75K. :iono:
[right][snapback]150263[/snapback][/right]
We got 80-84k (can't recall the exact number) on my Dads '02 Automagic ZX5.

We're at 101,000 or so now.

Just got 'em replaced at the dealer. So I assume they're pretty much, if not exactly the same type of brakes that were originally on them.
NefCanuck,Oct 24 2005, 02:45 PM Wrote:
SLIP STREAM SVT,Oct 24 2005, 08:05 AM Wrote:well i'm driving a 05 Focus sedan right now as a rental, because i brought my SVTF in for service, i was playing around the other day and testing the brakes out, mind you it was rainy out so it was pretty slippy. but anyways, i broke as hard as i could and i slid as far as the eye could see (middle of night with no one around).  the brakes locked up nicely, but the tires just sucked arse. the pedal feel in the 05 focus sedan even felt better then my svtf. i beleive if it came with better tires just maybe it'd stop faster than my svtf?

Do you remember which tires the rental has/had? I like the Pirelli P6's on mine (they handled the miserable weather we had this weekend without a whimper)

I've heard split opinions on those & the Conti's, some love 'em, others loathe 'em

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]151106[/snapback][/right]

their some type of goodyears, not to sure which ones... but sucked.... with regards to the conti's i think they suck too, but their definitly better than the goodyears there were on the 05 focus sedan.
SLIP STREAM SVT,Oct 26 2005, 08:28 AM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Oct 24 2005, 02:45 PM Wrote:Do you remember which tires the rental has/had?  I like the Pirelli P6's on mine (they handled the miserable weather we had this weekend without a whimper)

[right][snapback]151106[/snapback][/right]

their some type of goodyears, not to sure which ones... but sucked.... with regards to the conti's i think they suck too, but their definitly better than the goodyears there were on the 05 focus sedan.
[right][snapback]151608[/snapback][/right]

Gah, Goodyears? rather roll on Firestones than those things -shudder-

Goodyear spends their money on promotional bumf, I mean if they actually had decent tire designs they wouldn't need to come out with "The latest & greatest thing" every year, the tires would sell themselves IMO <_<

I mean first there was the "Aquatred", then the "Aquatred II" when people realized how poorly the Aquatreds wore out and now we have the "Tripletred".

C'mon, what does that tell you?

NefCanuck
Deleted double post, board hates me today <_<
SLIP STREAM SVT,Oct 24 2005, 07:05 AM Wrote:well i'm driving a 05 Focus sedan right now as a rental, because i brought my SVTF in for service, i was playing around the other day and testing the brakes out, mind you it was rainy out so it was pretty slippy. but anyways, i broke as hard as i could and i slid as far as the eye could see (middle of night with no one around).  the brakes locked up nicely, but the tires just sucked arse. the pedal feel in the 05 focus sedan even felt better then my svtf. i beleive if it came with better tires just maybe it'd stop faster than my svtf?

the tires were Goodyear Eagle RS P195/60R15.....they do suck

as for the pedal feel, i find cars with drum rears always give a stiffer or in some eyes a better feel.. i like the feel from the 4 wheel disc i have found it more agile in beeing softer, even tho it is spongy on the first hit
I've been driving an 05 SE sedan around Reno. It has some toys, power windows, MP3 deck, etc. It feels squishier in the corners than the SPI, but that's just the higher-fluff tires talking. The brakes however feel identical.

It also feels drastically different in acceleration than the last 2.0L Duratec sedan I drove. :blink: It's fairly quick in 1st, but feels slower than the SPI in 2nd and 3rd. What da heck? :huh:

I guess the only 05/06 I'd buy would be the ST.
NOS2Go4Me,Oct 26 2005, 06:13 PM Wrote:I've been driving an 05 SE sedan around Reno. It has some toys, power windows, MP3 deck, etc. It feels squishier in the corners than the SPI, but that's just the higher-fluff tires talking. The brakes however feel identical.

It also feels drastically different in acceleration than the last 2.0L Duratec sedan I drove. :blink: It's fairly quick in 1st, but feels slower than the SPI in 2nd and 3rd. What da heck? :huh:

I guess the only 05/06 I'd buy would be the ST.
[right][snapback]151785[/snapback][/right]

The gearing in the '05 Focus seems to me to be all about the takeoff from stop (Damn thing will ping off the rev limiter in first if you mash it from a dead stop). Once you get rolling only way to get any grunt is lean on it like a drunk on a wall <_<

'course it does sound real nice when you do it, so much for being a gas miser :P

NefCanuck
Firehawks are the worst tires in the world