FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Played With Odometer....wrong Move
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was playing with the odometer yesterday, and was converting the km/trip to RPM...just for fun, and now the car runs really rough. I don't know if the rough idle problem has anything to do with playing with the odometer, but I also have a burning rubber smell coming from my exhaust...what can it be?
changing the odometer between km and mi shouldn't make any difference... and i have no idea why there would be a burning rubber smell coming from your exhaust unless maybe you're burning oil? but that would be accompanied by blue smoke. Maybe you just picked up some road tar, and it's just starting to burn off...

p.s. welcome to the site!
Welcome :D

Did you throw a CEL? :huh:

not too sure what's goin on...could be the stock clutch making the smell too ( burn baby burn) lol...and thanks for the welcome...I intend to be here awhile.

P.S. anyone know where to get a front spoiler for my stock front facia? I dont what a total kit...kinda want a sleeper...if you know what I mean. The only mods I made are only visible in the day...at night is when it comes alive...nothing too crazy like neons...but I'll have pics soon.
To "reset" the fuel/air portion of your ECU, take the negative cable off your battery post for about 15 minutes. Clean up the car, polish 'er up under the hood, whatever occupies you. Then throw the cable back on, bolt it tight, and start the engine. See if it throws a CEL or not.

If not, take it for a drive. Every few minutes / KM, give it s**t. Drive it with low throttle, wind out a few gears, and drive it normally as well. This recalibrates the fuel / air and should clear up any "confusion" in the ECU. Hopefully this fixes you up.

And :hi: to a fellow 4-door owner :)
^^

The ECU only learns at partial throttle...
I've always been told (here/FJ/FF) to run it at all throttle positions and with normal driving habits to re-adapt it to new airflow levels (new intakes), etc.

So that's wrong? Interesting.
thanks for the help...I'll try taking off the negative on my batt, gotta run to Dixieford anyways....lets hope it's not a real prob.

Still no news on a front spoiler, eh? Thanks
Check with Mitch @ ZX3TUNING.com

He has his own sub-forum here on the board. He'll get you a price on pretty much anything you want!
Resetting the PCM to relearn idle and such is posted in the owner's manual. Just follow it, and you should be fine.

If it's a 2002, it could also be parts issues that just happened to fail at the same time. The electronics can be wonky on a 2002, but it shouldn't really do that to the car if you just played with the odometer testing.