FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Do They Make Scary Movies Any Longer?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My GF and I wasted 90mins last night watching the Amityville horror, possibly the lamest movie ever made. We got talking after it ended and can't remember the last time we saw a scary movie.

Amityville Horror = Lame not scary
Boogie Man = Lame not scary
White Noise = Sort of cool until the end but not scary

Anybody seen a good scary movie lately??
Signs was the last movie that truly scared me.... friggin' aliens.

but otherwise, no... I didn't find The Ring scary, and nothing lately has been scary either...seems people rather go for shock and horror than actually, honest to goodness scares.
darkpuppet,Oct 17 2005, 07:52 AM Wrote:Signs was the last movie that truly scared me.... friggin' aliens.

but otherwise, no... I didn't find The Ring scary, and nothing lately has been scary either...seems people rather go for shock and horror than actually, honest to goodness scares.
[right][snapback]149505[/snapback][/right]

I agree if I wanted shock I would save myself the $7 rental and just find one of those emails with a picture that you stare at before it changes to some scary face. Ohhhh sooo scary.

The Ring = Not scary
The Village = Not scary

I'll agree wtih Aliens was scary but then again I was how old when I first saw it.
avarage scary movie is only 120 minutes...........

I'd say the scream movies but they are kinda tame by today's standard.
yeah, scream was sorta lame.

come to think of it the last scary movie i saw was the excorcist (original)

all the new ones suck hard.
I think its all about money. The more the gore, violence, sex, swearing, etc, the higher the rating the movie gets, and therefore that leads to fewer moviegoers and less dollars at the box office.

So to change that, some sacrifices are made to lower the rating (including some of the quality content). This therefore leads to increased audiences and increased revenues.
What about the movie SAW?

Just "saw" a preview for SAW II.. lol
ZX3guy2000,Oct 17 2005, 10:51 AM Wrote:What about the movie SAW?

Just "saw" a preview for SAW II.. lol
[right][snapback]149569[/snapback][/right]

I think I'd consider that more of a thriller....

awesome movie though....can't wait for pt#2
saw wasn't scary.. it was disturbing.. definitely a psychological thriller. messed up like The Good Son (a classic in my opinion).

there have been some great mind f**k movies, but not much in the way of terrifying.
Ive havent seena ascray movie since i saw a kid...makes sense.

Movies used to scare me back in the day, becuase i would think about it later, while i was sleeping or walking alone.

Since then ive grown hair on my balls and dont find anything scary.

Signs was definatly one that spooked me tho. When you see that video of the alien walking in that alley, at the kids party. The hair on my arms stood up. That makes me think too much.
exsorcisim of emily rose
D-Dub,Oct 17 2005, 12: Wrote:exsorcisim of emily rose
[right][snapback]149590[/snapback][/right]

I was thinking about that since it's still on at the Drive In so I was thinking about making one last trip before it closes when we get back from Vegas.
darkpuppet,Oct 17 2005, 11:32 AM Wrote:there have been some great mind damn movies, but not much in the way of terrifying.
[right][snapback]149577[/snapback][/right]

Swearing filter off? Well it is in your post but not in my quote of your post

Ju-On was a pretty freaky movie
my bad.. guess admin has to learn to keep his mouth tidy.

someone pass the soap
well I have to admit I'm really dissapointed in most horror movies in the last little while, I'll admit I was somewhat disturbed when the movie " Dawn Of The Dead " hit theaters, and really I like how that type of movie leaves you in what would you do situation, I'll admit the begining was great, and so was the parts leading up to them getting the power back on, but the ending left you going yeah that's a little to perdictible, and why ?...........

I was really dissapointed with the follow up movie " Land Of The Dead " the cast was ok at best, but it was really really perdictible, I know I'll be stupid and buy it on DVD as I'm into Zombie flicks, but really it was a let down as they cut most scenes, and edited the crap out of it.

Although I'll admit I'm loving the Horror comedys that are coming out like " Shaun of the Dead " because it gives you that what if going on, and a good laugh at the same time.

But really I'm also going to go into Japanese scary movies making it here as re-makes, Dark Water, The Ring 1 and 2, The Grudge, have really given us a different theme as to new horror movies as they are based on another culture, I know some people might thing they suck in a way or are weak, but really you have to think about the cultural differences in North America compairing them the asia. Scary they are to people from there, but tame by our standards. I say it's good to have something new for once though, even if it's been americanized and toned down for our culture.
Rent the real Japanese and Korean counterparts for all these movies...

they are far scary-er

When they swap them over to english with english actors they all suck.
Signs was the most realistic "scary movie" I've seen in a while, and not much has eclipsed it since.

Anityville was a joke, I was so bored out of my tree watching it... I didn't think a "horror" movie coii;d be that boring.

Saw was more of a mind-twister than a horror, and it was alright... if they're doing a pt. 2, I'd watch that too.
tdot-zx3,Oct 17 2005, 06: Wrote:Rent the real Japanese and Korean counterparts for all these movies...

they are far scary-er

[right][snapback]149635[/snapback][/right]

this guy was telling me about this japense one that kinda new, called "infection"...he said it was actually pretty freaky, and he think most horror movies are ghey
D-Dub,Oct 17 2005, 01: Wrote:exsorcisim of emily rose
[right][snapback]149590[/snapback][/right]

That was a great movie! But... disturbing and scary come together as pretty good descriptions for this one.
FociPhil,Oct 17 2005, 03:35 PM Wrote:
tdot-zx3,Oct 17 2005, 06: Wrote:Rent the real Japanese and Korean counterparts for all these movies...

they are far scary-er

[right][snapback]149635[/snapback][/right]

this guy was telling me about this japense one that kinda new, called "infection"...he said it was actually pretty freaky, and he think most horror movies are ghey
[right][snapback]149652[/snapback][/right]

Cue Raine with offensive racial comments. :lol:
Pages: 1 2