FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Who Needs Highspeed Internet?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Sometimes people ask me if i really need 5mb of download bandwidth with my highspeed account...

and i says hell yeah!

[Image: need_highspeed.gif]

this is whlie on VPN, doing regular work and surfing the web all at once...

im a computer sped.

I dont get it...
basically it says hes gonna download 4 gigs worth of data in 2.5 hrs
thats pretty awesome.

i wish rogers didnt throttle my high speed. because they want me to buy extreme.
yeah, total bandwidth when i'm using every single ounce of highspeed seems to come in close to 600k. That's faster than some telecommunication giants' internal networks
darkpuppet,Oct 13 2005, 04:55 PM Wrote:yeah, total bandwidth when i'm using every single ounce of highspeed seems to come in close to 600k.  That's faster than some telecommunication giants' internal networks
[right][snapback]148848[/snapback][/right]

Thems fightin words!
483 KB/sec? ive gotten more before, depends where your downloading from
I have a 500k connection also, but the only place I can get the speed is Microsoft or some other huge company website.
crazikev,Oct 13 2005, 05:14 PM Wrote:483 KB/sec?  ive gotten more before, depends where your downloading from
[right][snapback]148858[/snapback][/right]

on a 5 mbps connection, I clocked a maximum speed of 507KB/sec

507KBps x 8 bps = 4.056 mbps, considering the overhead for IP/NAT/VPN and downloading other things, that's pretty freakin' good for a 5mbps connection.

most people with 5mbps can't sustain that on a dedicated connection.
I get constant 350kb/s (tops out at 388kb/s)(on direct server files like this) with Rogers High Speed... not the extreme.
darkpuppet,Oct 13 2005, 06:30 PM Wrote:
crazikev,Oct 13 2005, 05:14 PM Wrote:483 KB/sec?  ive gotten more before, depends where your downloading from
[right][snapback]148858[/snapback][/right]

on a 5 mbps connection, I clocked a maximum speed of 507KB/sec

507KBps x 8 bps = 4.056 mbps, considering the overhead for IP/NAT/VPN and downloading other things, that's pretty freakin' good for a 5mbps connection.

most people with 5mbps can't sustain that on a dedicated connection.
[right][snapback]148896[/snapback][/right]
woh, ok that went right over my head?
i have seen 700KB/sec + on my connection
yea i've got regualr sympatico highspeed and consistantly DL at 380/sec
You all suck. I live in Aurora and we have 9 Megabits down and 1 Mbps up.
So there!
just wait and see, pretty soon your rogers cellphone will be getting 14Mbit and upwards.
rogers keeps promising me more bandwidth, but they can't even make my tv work right... or get text messages to my cellphone within a 14 hour window.
darkpuppet,Oct 13 2005, 09:56 PM Wrote:rogers keeps promising me more bandwidth, but they can't even make my tv work right... or get text messages to my cellphone within a 14 hour window.
[right][snapback]148924[/snapback][/right]

you have 2 rogers guys on here, why dont u ask us to help you out, or atleast we could have explained to you that receiving text messages from some numbers such as bellus numbers is delayed up to 24 hours. We have direct #'s to the Network Service Group, Rogers Cable tech line and etc..
It could be throttled on the server side. Try downloading from oracle. You would think they have bandwidth to spare, but oracle -> hp takes 14hrs for a gig (hpux client libraries)
Rogers Yahoo HSI Extreme customer/dealer here. In my area I get sustained transfers of over well over 500 kb/sec if the other end can sustain it.

Max downloading speed I've gotten is 794 kbps... not too shabby, and I've uploaded at 125 kbps.

When I did the internet speed test, I was at 4.8 megabits per second.

Note: RYHSI Extreme will soon be upping it's speed. If you're interested in subscribing to the service, and are willing to make the drive to Warden & Finch, I'll set you up.

And DanielB, I'd like to see how long your modem lasts at 9 mb/s... I'm sure you'll need a replacement within the year if you're pushing it.
wheres the internet speed test?
I think this is generally accepted as one of the more reliable testing sites:

Bandwidth Speed Test

Edit: Just tested mine again, and with crap downloading on Ares this is what I got

[Image: speedtest.jpg]

The number that really matters in that is the storage... 535 kb/s... done better, but still not bad. At 4.8, which is what I tested at the other day, that's about 600 kb/sec...
Pages: 1 2