FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: People Frustrate Me
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok so im at work last night, and my co-worker turns to me and asks "Hey man, how do I get rid of this?" and takes 2 hands and grabs his big ass gut. He asked me because i just lost 50lbs.

So i say to him you gotta make a lifestyle change, change your diet, start an excersice routine. You stick to it and be disciplined and youll loose weight/fat. FOR SURE.

So then he starts going on saying he has exercise equipment at home, but he cant find time to work out, becuase his schedule is all over the place. SO i tell him to make a exercise schedule with your work schedule, and stick to it like you would a work schedule.

So then he keeps saying my schedule is all over the place, i cant! ( he works one job 35-40 hrs a week)

I work a full time job, a part-time job, night school, and basketball league...and i still find time to work out 4-6 times a week. if i can find time, you can find time.

So teh i suggest smaller portions spread out during the day, like 6 meals. He says he cant do that with his schedule, cant find time.

HELLLOO!!! we work at the same place, your telling me that you cant say "hey im going to the can, brb" and scarf back a banana or hand ful of almonds?

So then he asks about what to eat. I suggested not to go "cold turkey" in terms of eating healthy. To take baby steps and get into it. Like cut out pop and junk food, or fast food, and see how that goes. Then start eating clean once your into it.

"What if i just switch to diet pop??"
:blink: well thats a start, but you wont see a huge difference. You should get rid of it all together.
Well i like to eat pasta.
Right well try not to eat it with a creamy sauce, smaller portions, and go for whole wheat or spinach pasta.

So then he starts saying, "but i like to cook".
OK. cook healthIER.
"But i have to have pizza, i gotta man"
No you dont, have it every once in a while, but not on a weekely basis.
"...but i NEED to have cheese on it, its a must, otherwards theres no taste!!"
No you dont NEED processed cheese on it!! you dont need any of that s**t!!!

So at this point, im getting mad cuz hes just finding every excuse. Then he starts going on about family mediacl history and it makes it harder to loose weight.

At that point i said to said to him. You dont want to lose weight. If you did, you wouldnt be making excuses like this. When you are serious about it, come ask me again. Ill even go with you to work out if that will help, but until your serious, dont ask me again.

Like i am no pro at this s**t, but i know more then the average person. What really grinds my gears is when people say they want to do something, and then find excuses, STUPID excuses not to do it. if you want to loose weight, stop eating s**t, and start exercising, its as easy as that! If you want to save money, stop spending it!!

i feel bad for this guy because he is over weight alot, like close to 100 pounds over weight. I want to help him, but he doesnt want to help himself.

This frustrates me so much.

END RANT
FociPhil,Oct 13 2005, 12:14 PM Wrote:Ok so im at work last night, and my co-worker turns to me and asks "Hey man, how do I get rid of this?" and takes 2 hands and grabs his big ass gut. He asked me because i just lost 50lbs.

So i say to him you gotta make a lifestyle change, change your diet, start an excersice routine. You stick to it and be disciplined and youll loose weight/fat. FOR SURE.

So then he starts going on saying he has exercise equipment at home, but he cant find time to work out, becuase his schedule is all over the place. SO i tell him to make a exercise schedule with your work schedule, and stick to it like you would a work schedule.

So then he keeps saying my schedule is all over the place, i cant! ( he works one job 35-40 hrs a week)

I work a full time job, a part-time job, night school, and basketball league...and i still find time to work out 4-6 times a week. if i can find time, you can find time.

So teh i suggest smaller portions spread out during the day, like 6 meals. He says he cant do that with his schedule, cant find time.

HELLLOO!!! we work at the same place, your telling me that you cant say "hey im going to the can, brb" and scarf back a banana or hand ful of almonds?

So then he asks about what to eat. I suggested not to go "cold turkey" in terms of eating healthy. To take baby steps and get into it. Like cut out pop and junk food, or fast food, and see how that goes. Then start eating clean once your into it.

"What if i just switch to diet pop??"
:blink: well thats a start, but you wont see a huge difference. You should get rid of it all together.
Well i like to eat pasta.
Right well try not to eat it with a creamy sauce, smaller portions, and go for whole wheat or spinach pasta.

So then he starts saying, "but i like to cook".
OK. cook healthIER.
"But i have to have pizza, i gotta man"
No you dont, have it every once in a while, but not on a weekely basis.
"...but i NEED to have cheese on it, its a must, otherwards theres no taste!!"
No you dont NEED processed cheese on it!! you dont need any of that s**t!!!

So at this point, im getting mad cuz hes just finding every excuse. Then he starts going on about family mediacl history and it makes it harder to loose weight.

At that point i said to said to him. You dont want to lose weight. If you did, you wouldnt be making excuses like this. When you are serious about it, come ask me again. Ill even go with you to work out if that will help, but until your serious, dont ask me again.

Like i am no pro at this s**t, but i know more then the average person. What really grinds my gears is when people say they want to do something, and then find excuses, STUPID excuses not to do it. if you want to loose weight, stop eating s**t, and start exercising, its as easy as that! If you want to save money, stop spending it!!

i feel bad for this guy because he is over weight alot, like close to 100 pounds over weight. I want to help him, but he doesnt want to help himself.

This frustrates me so much.

END RANT
[right][snapback]148694[/snapback][/right]

Excuses are a sign of someone who is NOT really commited.

You have to be ready on all fronts. Lfestyle, food, mind, EVERYTHING.

I cut out fast-food, fried food, I no longer cook with butter or mass amounts of oil. I drink less, I eat smaller portions, and I snack on veggies not chips.

It makes a HUGE difference.

Oh, and I did away with the the xtra-large Double Doubles.
can't help people who don't want to help themselves.

it's funny though, because he does have more than the usual number of excuses, that's for sure.
I know! I had one major excuse.... MY BEER AND WINGS!!!!

I dealt with it.
You motivate me. Seeing people like you makes me want to go to the gym and find time. As you said everyone makes excuses and says I have no time and often times you find them in front of the TV watching programs for 2hrs. Well Dohhhhhhhhh, you could of exercise during this time. My gf is like that. She is always complaining about having no time and too much work. But most of the time I see her watching TV and always complaining about her back problems. So finally after two years of hearing about her backache we are going to join the gym this week and hopefully she can keep it up.
I know what your getting at there Phil, at work here the 'smoker's group' literally bash me left and right for my jogs/walks during my coffee breaks and at lunch. Some asshole even started jogging around his car 'basically provoking' me when I was heading out. I've also had my food 'spiked' at work here, had a salad and someone ripped open a bag of greasy ass potato chips and mixed them in with my salad.

Pathetic.....

As for this guy, you know if you ask for help you have to be willing to accept it. Typical FAT person, nothing but excuses and yeah I'd feel bad for him also. You have to have the will power to do it. I've dropped over 40lbs and put on a bunch of muscle since the start of this year with all the training I've been doing (police recruiting process) and still going. All depends on how much you want it.
Chad i know what your talking about. People love to talk s**t to me, when i get water at dinner, or the rare time i drink...its lite beer. They love to rag on me. When i say im ducking out early from going out, becuase i have to be at the gym in the moring, they laugh.

Then we play basketball, and they are tired after 10 min, or they get sick every other week. Then i laugh.

But i do feel bad for this guy. If you guys have ever seen he 40 year old virgin? Hes 28 lives at home, has nothing but action figures and starwars stuff in his room. he loves to sit there and play the "cool ringtone" on his phone to everyone who walk through the door (he takes way to much pride in it. And, yes he is a virgin.

I told him, just give it 2 weeks, regular exercise and eating right. ANd you will feel awsome. But its like he thinks hes hopeless, and hes trapped.

I even told him ill be his workout partner, "cuz im selffish in a way and need one lol) ill be there everytime. But he wont go for it.

He would rather be certain hes miserable, then to risk being happy...does that make sense?
mo_focus,Oct 13 2005, 04:31 PM Wrote:You motivate me. Seeing people like you makes me want to go to the gym and find time. As you said everyone makes excuses and says I have no time and often times you find them in front of the TV watching programs for 2hrs. Well Dohhhhhhhhh, you could of exercise during this time. My gf is like that. She is always complaining about having no time and too much work. But most of the time I see her watching TV and always complaining about her back problems. So finally after two years of hearing about her backache we are going to join the gym this week and hopefully she can keep it up.
[right][snapback]148704[/snapback][/right]

I hear you man, i was the same way. But all it takes is 20 min a day for 3-4 days to start. You could watch TV while working out. Ill watch my reality shows and stuff at the gym, while im on the tread mill. Goof ol fm transmitters at the gym, can actually here the tv on my MP3 player B)

Hey Mo, i suggest taking baby steps. Start with a few days a week, and cutting out some stuff in your diet. then work up to more days, more intense workouts, and modifying some more stuff in your diet gradually. Less your cahnace of burnout and failure, IMHO.
FociPhil,Oct 13 2005, 11:09 AM Wrote:Chad i know what your talking about. People love to talk s**t to me, when i get water at dinner, or the rare time i drink...its lite beer. They love to rag on me. When i say im ducking out early from going out, becuase i have to be at the gym in the moring, they laugh.

Then we play basketball, and they are tired after 10 min, or they get sick every other week. Then i laugh.

But i do feel bad for this guy. If you guys have ever seen he 40 year old virgin? Hes 28 lives at home, has nothing but action figures and starwars stuff in his room. he loves to sit there and play the "cool ringtone" on his phone to everyone who walk through the door (he takes way to much pride in it. And, yes he is a virgin.

I told him, just give it 2 weeks, regular exercise and eating right. ANd you will feel awsome. But its like he thinks hes hopeless, and hes trapped.

I even told him ill be his workout partner, "cuz im selffish in a way and need one lol) ill be there everytime. But he wont go for it.

He would rather be certain hes miserable, then to risk being happy...does that make sense?
[right][snapback]148721[/snapback][/right]

Yeah that makes complete sense Phil, I here ya.....

If your looking for a workout partner, hit me up. I was planning to go to Golds on 8th for the gym coming up here soon, your over at Mawson's right? I'd definitely be up for it.
Yeah mawson is an awsome place man. you should come try out this class they have, called Group Power. Its great, and you have to be a member to try it out.

I would never change gyms, i love it too much. But if you wanna go there, tell me when and where, and ill be there.
FociPhil,Oct 13 2005, 11:30 AM Wrote:Yeah mawson is an awsome place man. you should come try out this class they have, called Group Power. Its great, and you have to be a member to try it out.

I would never change gyms, i love it too much. But if you wanna go there, tell me when and where, and ill be there.
[right][snapback]148745[/snapback][/right]

I haven't checked into Mawson's much plus I'm right now aiming mostly at weight training and doing the cardio myself during the day and at night. I'm 'lacking' in teh cardio department for sure so stepping it up myself before I put on the display at the gym.....LOL
Well Mawson might be good for you then. the Cardio equipment, has no sign up sheets or time limits.

Group power is a weight training class. Its hard to explain, but think of aerobics, with barbells and plate weights. Squats, clean and press, lunges, back bi's and tri...if you wanna try it let me know. Its killer.

But im actually looking to get back into hardcore weights like before in another month or so.

Drop by Mawson and give it a try for a week, they have those courtesy passes, and i can also take you as a guest.

DONT MAKE EXCUSES CHAD!!!!!!! lol

im playing..
Wow I totally relate to what your saying, I'm not making an excuse when I say I'm poor and can't afford to have a gym membership, with school and all, but I started to buy parts of a weight set one dumb bell at a time, and I am in the habbit now of lifting it when I'm watching tv at night ( an hour each arm ) and I've noticed a huge difference in muscle tone in my arms, not to mention the added feeling of knowing I can now lift well over 120 lbs of sugar without feeling like I've over done it.

I have to admit it's been rather hard to give up pop, but other things like chocolate, and chips have been off my diet since last november, more or less about the time that I started to really get into eating and cooking japanese food. I have to admit Japanese food is a great way to take out major ammounts of salt, and sugars from your diet, not to mention using constant fresh veggies.
Frost__2001,Oct 13 2005, 09:04 PM Wrote:Wow I totally relate to what your saying, I'm not making an excuse when I say I'm poor and can't afford to have a gym membership, with school and all, but I started to buy parts of a weight set one dumb bell at a time, and I am in the habbit now of lifting it when I'm watching tv at night ( an hour each arm ) and I've noticed a huge difference in muscle tone in my arms, not to mention the added feeling of knowing I can now lift well over 120 lbs of sugar without feeling like I've over done it.

I have to admit it's been rather hard to give up pop, but other things like chocolate, and chips have been off my diet since last november, more or less about the time that I started to really get into eating and cooking japanese food. I have to admit Japanese food is a great way to take out major ammounts of salt, and sugars from your diet, not to mention using constant fresh veggies.
[right][snapback]148852[/snapback][/right]

Good for you dood...its gotta start somewhere. To any weight lose, you have to modify diet, and gain muscle mass. Easy as that. Once you gain all that muscle its easier to keep it off.

AT one point thwere was a month of slacking. Not eating completely right, and only working out like twice a week, it felt like i let myself ago. I did my measurement and BF% at the end of that motnh and i lost 1.5%BF. And to me that wasnt even trying.

You gotta say to yourself, getting the way you are didnt happen over night, so getting in shape isnt going to happen over night.
You dont even need to gain muscle mass to lose weight... alot of people have quality muscle already underneath all that flab... Plus stats say, and its reality, that fatter people have more muscle mass then their leaner counterparts. Ive always been a strong strong believer of the 1 thing at a time rule. You want to maximize any gains/loss' .. concentrate on 1 thing at a time and your body will change the most/the quickest this way.

As a personal trainer you have to understand and realize that not everyone is helpable even though it's our job to help. This guy here fits into that catagory perfectly.

With any serious client a list is made, a sorta, todo sheet where as you have to follow these guidelines in order for me to help you, help yourself. The guidelines most of the time deal with food, lifestyle, and other various easy all around things. The guidelines are signed by both me and the client, and theres a nice note at the bottom saying if you dont follow these guidelines you are not only wasting my time and expertise, you are wasting your own as well. Most trainers do something like this, and most have clients who break all the rules and drop off the face of the earth because they just arent ready/werent motivated enough/whatever it may be.

Another one of my beliefs and slogans as a personal trainer is... "Shut the F uck up and Move." This being said, less talk, more action. Exercise is something you need to swallow your pride at the beginning, set a plan, stfu with the complaining and just do it. This is the only way to get anywhere in life fitness wise.

S2: Your doing Police training right.... I want you to go check this site out... If you and phil start meeting up, start doing some of these workouts of the day. Theres a ton of elite atheletes around the world apapting to this method, and ton are law enforcement/firefighters/military.... I suggest you give it a try.

http://www.crossfit.com

For instance...

Quote:3 Rounds of
Wall-ball – 20 pound ball, 10 ft target. (Reps)
Sumo deadlift high-pull 75 pounds (Reps)
Box Jump – 20” box (Reps)
Push-press 75 pounds (Reps)
Row – calories (Calories)

Why this type of exercise works. Instead of just using one system in your body and splitting up cardio, strength, endurance, etc exercises ... What crossfit aims to do is tax all your systems with various workouts. It attempts to replicate how our bodies work in real life during sports/atheletics. We rarely only use a certain system at a time, so training them 1 at a time is less efficient. Research has indicated for YEARS this is a far more effective stratagy at becomming an all around top level athelete then any other method.

Anyways... this is my 2cents for the day on this subject...
If someone doesn't want to do something, they'll find every excuse in the book not to do it, it's human nature.

I started my exercise program back in Jan '03 after the doctor basically pointed out a 15lb gain in weight since my last physical a year ago. With my bad knee, more weight = bad news.

So I was left with "okay where do I start and when can I do this exercise thing?"

Nothing really clicked until it hit me like a brick in the face "Hey, I have a gym in my condo for crissakes" and so I began going to the gym directly after I came home from work.

Initally it was only 20 minutes of biking a night 5 days a week, but I began to expand my repetorie to include the eliptical trainer instead of the bike, adding the butterfly press and leg extensions, upping the weight and number of reps slowly to the point now where I have a 4 day a week workout that lasts between an hour and and hour and a half depending on which exercises I do. Sure it means I don't even start cooking dinner some nights until as late as 7pm, but for the weight loss and the increased muscle tone its a small price to pay.

Sure I don't eat as well as I could, but I've cut down on the greasy fast food a *lot* (Not eliminated, that just encourages overdoing it) and I try to cook using whole wheat pastas and rice whenever I can.

But the whole thing boils down to a want to do it. Sure it took the doctor verbally punching me in the face, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna go down without even trying to help myself :P

NefCanuck
I want to get in shape, but I'm really lazy. Do you have a plan for me? ;)

That's gotta be frustrating though, like does he expect you to do the exercising for him, or maybe share the guarded secret of losing weight with no effort?

Not like I can talk though, I have very little exercise and eat pretty bad only I have a really high metabolism so I dont put on any weight.. I should really try and conquer my laziness and get in a little better shape..
guilty,Oct 13 2005, 08:23 PM Wrote:Not like I can talk though, I have very little exercise and eat pretty bad only I have a really high metabolism so I dont put on any weight.. I should really try and conquer my laziness and get in a little better shape..
[right][snapback]148913[/snapback][/right]

You sound like my g/f. She's in worse shape than me, but she's super slim.

I fit the profile of the guy Phil's complaining about. I make excuses for not sticking to a programme. The Ironic part is that I LOST weight, but then started drinking/eating bad again and it all came back... I changed my diet and when the pounds started dropping I gave up my exercise routine... now I'm back up to my old weight and can't continuously motivate myself to exercise because I get tired so quickly. For example, right now I'm thinking "I should go and do my old 10 min routine that got me started" but at the same time I'm thinking "you know you won't be able to finish it, don't bother". and that's my problem... motivating myself enough to do it. I look in the mirror and I get annoyed. My gut is too damned big and I feel uncomfortable... but I can't seem to convince myself to do anything about it. I don't drink very much pop anymore, and my fast food intake has dropped significantly (If anything, it's a sub, but I will have fries a little too often when I'm out), but I still can't get myself back into the groove. My g/f is too frustrated with me to care, she's telling me to do whatever I want, I guess taking the reverse psychology approach, thinking if she acts like she doesn't care, I'll realize how stupid I'm being. This is I already do. I just don't know how to fix it. Kinda feel helpless about it, even tho I know all I have to do to fix it is get myself on the exercise bike and bench every day for 10 mins a pop and just do it... sad really.
tdot-zx3,Oct 13 2005, 08: Wrote:Another one of my beliefs and slogans as a personal trainer is... "Shut the F uck up and Move."
[right][snapback]148906[/snapback][/right]

your hired
I'm bad as a yo-yo workout guy, and I've been busting my butt especially over the last few weeks to get over that. I'll work out till I "feel" buffed up and toned, and then I stop for weeks / months till I feel flabby and worse than before. Then it starts again.

Lately I've been splitting up my workouts to different muscle groups, so one group isn't too sore to go at it again 2 days later. So far, it's working.
Pages: 1 2