FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Cleaning & Re-oiling A K&n Filter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Almost time for the car to get it's winter tune up. Do I need to clean and re-oil my filter? I've had it on the car for about 25,000 km, and the box says it's good for 50,000 miles, but is that really true? If I do need to change it, what's involved? Do I need to buy a re-oiling kit?
Just buy a new filter. $30

Many ppl over oil there filter and in fact actually burn there MAF out.
You won't burn your MAF out if you let the filter properly dry for 24 hours before re-installing it.
Buy the kit. I think I do the truck every 10k and Aaron does the car every winter. If you have a paper back up you can use for 24 hours then that is a perfect scenario.
You need to buy the cleaner and oiler. I find the spray bottle cleaner works better than the can. Make sure you lay the filter (panel or cone) on newspaper because it can get messy. Read the instructions on the bottle. I rinse the cleaner out with the water from the laundry sink taps.
I've been using K&N for about 20 years and never had a problem cleaning them. Just don't over oil it and you're okay.
I've actually been told by racers that the filter works better when it's dirty B)
I clean mine once a year at the most.
CanadaSVT,Oct 13 2005, 06:08 AM Wrote:You need to buy the cleaner and oiler.  I find the spray bottle cleaner works better than the can.  Make sure you lay the filter (panel or cone) on newspaper because it can get messy.  Read the instructions on the bottle.  I rinse the cleaner out with the water from the laundry sink taps.
I've been using K&N for about 20 years and never had a problem cleaning them.  Just don't over oil it and you're okay.
I've actually been told by racers that the filter works better when it's dirty B)
I clean mine once a year at the most.
[right][snapback]148623[/snapback][/right]

Ditto, I had them on my Kawasaki forever and the Focus for 5 years. Once a year at best and I plop in thepaper filter for a couple days while it dries.
I'd say just buy a second one so you always got one ready to roll and don't need to turn it into a big ordeal just to swap a filter.
I second Kevin's idea. I'm considering doing just that in January, when my current cone turns one year old.
hardk0re,Oct 13 2005, 08:09 AM Wrote:I'd say just buy a second one so you always got one ready to roll and don't need to turn it into a big ordeal just to swap a filter.
[right][snapback]148627[/snapback][/right]

I'm going to do that when they go back on sale again at Canadian Tire. Sometimes, it takes a while for the filter to dry after you wash out the crap. I've haven't had the time to just let things sit while I need to be across the cities in 30 minutes. It's out of convenience really.

But if you want to save the money, just make sure you have a good few hours for the filter to dry after washing, as well as some good few minutes to let the oil soak in.

PS> I usually clean mine twice a year - spring and fall. I might clean it before hitting the On Track, but that's about it. Unless you are in a really dusty and/or rural environment, there shouldn't be a need to clean it more than that.

Note though I wouldn't just leave it in there and forget it. Take it out periodically and inspect it. Lots of times, I find some of those dandelion spores or chunks of leaves get inhaled. If it gets dirty, then clean it.

When you do inspect it, look at the piece of breather foam that is at the bottom. I think it's just a few bucks, but I've found that if you didn't let the oil dry completely, it can muck up this foam.