FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Blue Jays Announcer Tom Cheek Dead At 66
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Link to the story from TSN below:

Tom Cheek passes away at age 66

and here's my reaction to the story that I posted on their Talk Back Forum

When I heard the news about Tom Cheek this morning, the first thing that came to mind was a numbing sense of loss.

Tom Cheek's voice is, and was comforting, when you listened, you could *see* the picture he was painting with his words, it never seemed that it was in any way forced or phony.

When I first heard of his battle with brain cancer, it hit me as hard as it would have hit me to have a close friend or relative with that diagnosis. He'd been a part of my life for so long as I listened to the birth and growth of the Blue Jays in Toronto that to think that he was literally in the fight of his life seemed unthinkable.

Tom Cheek has earned a permanent spot in the hearts and minds of long time Blue Jays fans everywhere. To borrow and paraphrase one of his most famous calls.

"You touched us all Tom and you've never hit a bigger home run in your life"

Rest In Peace Tom Cheek

NefCanuck
A truly great announcer. I don't think jays games will be the same without him.
habmann,Oct 9 2005, 09:14 PM Wrote:A truly great announcer. I don't think jays games will be the same without him.
[right][snapback]147795[/snapback][/right]
he hasn't been doing Jays games since mid 2004 has he?

Rest in Peace Tom.

Unfortunately it seems like the Jays lose an announcer every off season nowadays with John Cerrutti last off season.
Ya he didn't do any this year, but he was hoping to come back and do a few this past year, his health just didn't allow it.
Truely a great loss to the sporting community.

He had a bigger run than Cal Ripken Jr.

I grew up witht that voice in my car, my house and at the cottage. He will be missed.