FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Need Internet With Fast Download:bell Mobility?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm looking for a cellular Mobile Internet with the fastest download speed. I was told Bell is pretty fast. Can someone help me out as I want to buy a MCIA Laptop card or usb rocket stick if one exists for Bell and know what speeds its capable of in real world first.
We use the Telus EVDO modems here at work for travellers. They work ok, but nothing compared to DSL or anything terrestrial. Figure on 1 megabit down for EVDO.

Since Bell is on EVDO as well, I don't think there's will be much better. I know their Wireless Rural says 3 Megabit, but you have a cap of 3 GB a month. :o

Since your in a good coverage area, I'd focus on Rogers and Fido.

Also, what cell phone are you holding right now? Why not tether it? :) Unless its an Ipwn. :D
I've been using the Rogers Data Stick -- 7.6Mbps both ways in the GTA.
can u do a speed test puppet? as I was told the HSDPA on rogers is 7.2 not 7.6, and the maximum upload on hspa is 1mbit.

So why is Bellus saying they have the fastest 3G network in their commercials if they are only capable of a measly 1mbit? the reason i may not want to go to rogers is the fact that i need a dedicated line, non-shared with my voice SIM.
paolo,Jun 24 2009, 09:38 AM Wrote:can u do a speed test puppet? as I was told the HSDPA on rogers is 7.2 not 7.6, and the maximum upload on hspa is 1mbit.

So why is Bellus saying they have the fastest 3G network in their commercials if they are only capable of a measly 1mbit?  the reason i may not want to go to rogers is the fact that i need a dedicated line,  non-shared with my voice SIM.
[right][snapback]290062[/snapback][/right]

I did a speed test this morning and things seem to be going slowly --

it's getting 1.1kbps down and 1.2 kbps up ... it's been much faster than that before. I've clocked it at 7Mbps up and down.

curious why it seems so slow this morning.
paolo,Jun 24 2009, 08:38 AM Wrote:can u do a speed test puppet? as I was told the HSDPA on rogers is 7.2 not 7.6, and the maximum upload on hspa is 1mbit.

So why is Bellus saying they have the fastest 3G network in their commercials if they are only capable of a measly 1mbit?  the reason i may not want to go to rogers is the fact that i need a dedicated line,  non-shared with my voice SIM.
[right][snapback]290062[/snapback][/right]

Ah, but you just answered your own question.

Bell and Rogers use different technologies for their offerings, so Bell can say that they have the fastest 3G network based on that technology

Fun being able to twist words eh? :P

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Jun 24 2009, 10:43 AM Wrote:Bell and Rogers use different technologies for their offerings, so Bell can say that they have the fastest 3G network based on that technology

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]290069[/snapback][/right]

Hmm, interesting point Nef, I never realised that until now. Bell advertises its CDMA 1x EVO network as 3G, but.. if I'm not mistaken, Bell has jointly launched a 3G HSPA network with Telus with the MCC/MNC 302-880 which will be migrated to 4G LTE in the future, so they have 2 seperate networks theyre calling 3G. But the 3G network that uses the same technology as rogers is not the "Faster" of the two technologies then? or is it?

such a marketing gimic i tell ya.
paolo,Jun 24 2009, 12:52 PM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Jun 24 2009, 10:43 AM Wrote:Bell and Rogers use different technologies for their offerings, so Bell can say that they have the fastest 3G network based on that technology

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]290069[/snapback][/right]

Hmm, interesting point Nef, I never realised that until now. Bell advertises its CDMA 1x EVO network as 3G, but.. if I'm not mistaken, Bell has jointly launched a 3G HSPA network with Telus with the MCC/MNC 302-880 which will be migrated to 4G LTE in the future, so they have 2 seperate networks theyre calling 3G. But the 3G network that uses the same technology as rogers is not the "Faster" of the two technologies then? or is it?

such a marketing gimic i tell ya.
[right][snapback]290075[/snapback][/right]

Oh watching Bell & Rogers pervert the english language to try and trick the sheeple into believing their "fastest" nonsense is amusing :lol:

NefCanuck
I have all 3 right now, Telus, Bell and Rogers. Guys on my team get them when we need to work over weekends, etc. The best signal I get from the bell stick. HOWEVER the device drivers that come with the pcmcia card suck, they crash frequently.

Everybody likes the rogers stick, as do I. Setup on a new laptop is easy (drivers on the stick itself). And generally always works great in the GTA.

For overall speed, depending on your location I don't really see much difference between any of them. Get whatever plan suits your budget. If you'll be in rural areas i'd suggest the bell over rogers stick for signal strength. I think this is a limitation of the device and not an indication of network area coverage. But I could be wrong.

I'll try and run some tests side by side friday, for speed in the GTA if that will help you.