FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Buying A Web Domain?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What's the cheapest way and how much?

I have a couple .ca domains in mind.
from what i remember when i registered my .ca domain a a year or 2 ago ... your very limited as .ca's have restrictions as to who can register and who can sell them. So you might not be able to find them as cheap as you could a .com name.

I think i paid like 30-35$/yr for mine

www.cira.ca
try Yahoo, i know they have it as well. i think it wasnt much either.
mo_focus,Oct 7 2005, 09:01 PM Wrote:try Yahoo, i know they have it as well. i think it wasnt much either.
[right][snapback]147541[/snapback][/right]

Sorry, I've declared a Jihad against Yahoo. I want a domain or two not a page.
do whatever... names4ever.com, etc... it's all good.

Hell, I gots darkpuppet.com... and it wasn't THAT expensive...
.com's are only like 6-8$ from godaddy.com .. its the .ca's that are expensive
Its not limited to a "WEB" domain, you can use it for e-mail, gopher, telnet, vnc, and much more. I signed with Doteasy. Back in the day, there were WAY more limitations to .CA domains, meaning you could not easily get a "ROOT" ie: yourdomain.ca it instead had to be yourdomain.on.ca or xx.whateverprovince.ca thank god, cus ofoc.on.ca would be a shitty domain name.
http://www.mydomain.com

.ca domains are $40 for 2 years if the one you seek is available.

But as been said already, the .com's are way cheaper.
paolo,Oct 8 2005, 05:00 AM Wrote:Its not limited to a "WEB" domain, you can use it for e-mail, gopher, telnet, vnc, and much more.  I signed with Doteasy.  Back in the day, there were WAY more limitations to .CA domains, meaning you could not easily get a "ROOT" ie: yourdomain.ca it instead had to be yourdomain.on.ca or xx.whateverprovince.ca  thank god, cus ofoc.on.ca would be a shitty domain name.
[right][snapback]147571[/snapback][/right]

Waaay back in the day, you had to be federally incorporated (or be provincially incorporated in two or more provinces) to get a .ca domain. If you were only provincially incorporated you could get an on.ca one.

Now its just money. :)
godaddy.com ... registered radioglendon.com for $8/yr
Domainsatcost.ca ... if you havent already... I have quite a few with them.
I'm the laziest SOB when it comes to this, I keep meaning to register one myself.