FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ok Here I Go!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just purchased an 04 ZX3, and may consider some performance upgrades. I installed an UDP on my Mustang with good results and I am wondering if the Focus would benefit?.My understanding is that the crankshaft UDP pulley does not have a damper on it, and that would seriously harm engine life. Apparently there are 2 piece kits that change the alternator and water pump pulleys instead.

Also, is there any benefit to changing the stock intake, to the SVT intake?

Hey, I like the spell checker! :lol:
I can't comment on the SVT air-intake, but 2001 ZTS could comment on the SVT snorkel swap (which he did on his car).

but for UDP's, I'd go for the 2 piece kit. You keep the dampener, can put a supercharger on with only a belt-size change (instead of both a new belt and resized SC pulley), and possibly save a bit more weight (unconfirmed), but rotational weight savings on something as small as a pulley makes practically zero difference.
SVT air intake im pretty sure wont fit on the ZX3...unless your talking about the manifold.

Ive never done the UDP, but from what i hear, its the best "bang for buck" mod...other than turbo's and SC.
I've had a UDP for a year and a half with no ill effects. The dampening is nice but not a neccessity from what debates I have read and there have been many. I do know the stock crank pulley is massive and heavy as hell, I was shocked by the heft of it.

As for SVT snorkel. There are advantages and disadvantages to the each of the different types of aftermarket intakes. I can't see any disadvantage to the SVT under any circumstance so the increased inatke area can only help. It's one of these things where you'll get a few more HP but not a miracle. The snorkel is best matched to the bottom half of an SVT airbox but the stock one can be hacked as well. I run mine with a K&N panel.
PM me - ill design you up an intake and tune it for you antway you want
yeha, the svt almost uses the same airbox. the bottom half is slightly different. the opening is slightly larger than teh zx3 snorkle inlet to accomidate the larger snorkel. and other than that.

theres a small snorkel on the side instead of a silencer.
I have seen the mod to the stock airbox,seems simple. The stock damper may be designed to reduce vibration on the driveshaft,(harmonic balancer),so I am leary to change it. The 2-piece may be safer. Hey I want this motor to last.
I have UPD the last...hmmm....4yrs 120k km and I am still having my orginal battery and orginal engine....

As for intake, swap out the resenator beside the air box and swap out the practic cover over the turning sigal. and you will feel like having short ram in there.

for GO, get a cat back and suspension kit to start.
AFx UDP was put in around 20 000Km's, made some nice changes in the car.

Im now close to 120K, stock battery, stock engine, turbo and no problems as of yet.

Tony, if your going to order the 2 piece UDP's let me know, if we could get a deal on 2 sets then I'll go in with you. Maybe the only savings would be on shipping. It wouldn't hurt to ask for a group buy on this either....

And no, you still can't have my stock air box! ;) :P
SVT ZX3,Oct 7 2005, 02:47 PM Wrote:Tony, if your going to order the 2 piece UDP's let me know, if we could get a deal on 2 sets then I'll go in with you. Maybe the only savings would be on shipping. It wouldn't hurt to ask for a group buy on this either....

And no, you still can't have my stock air box! ;)  :P
[right][snapback]147459[/snapback][/right]

Hey I was going to sneak up to your power!. It's not the airbox I need ,you reshape the inlet at the bottom, it's the snorkel tube that runs to the front. I guess you are going to say you want to keep that too. <_< Don't worry I have seen it for sale. (or yours might go missing in my garage :lol: )Steeda.ca sells the pulleys.Is there a cheaper/better price?
My guess is that 2 or 3 piece pulley kits always have the smaller crank pulley and the other 1 or 2 pulleys are added to make it a 2 or 3 piece kit. I'd bet I am right.
I have an extra Focus Central UDP (2 pulley set). I had it on my car for 8 months. They work great. It gave a lighter touch to the throttle, a more free reving feel. I had to go back to stock when I installed the JRSC.

Shoot me an offer.