FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Bill C319 - Canada To Restrict All Cars To 150km/h
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Ok, I don't think that this has shown up on here yet and it's a little old but it hasn't had first vote either. The lunatic Liberal MP Jim Karygiannis thinks that this was a good bill to draft...and somebody voted this guy into office?

Karygiannis’ Bill will help stop Highway Carnage
Friday 13th February 2009.

Karygiannis’ Bill will help stop Highway Carnage

OTTAWA - The Honourable Jim Karygiannis, Member of Parliament for Scarborough-Agincourt, stood in the House of Commons today to re-introduce a Private Member’s Bill which will help to stop the carnage on our highways - “An Act to amend the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (speed limiters)”.

“Each summer, we witness carnage on our highways caused by excessive speed.” said Mr. Karygiannis. “This legislation will require all vehicles manufactured after January 1, 2010, to be equipped with speed limiters so that the vehicles cannot travel at more than 150 kilometres.”

Mr. Dan McTeague, the Member of Parliament for Pickering-Scarborough East, seconded Mr. Karygiannis’ Bill.

“Our roads and highways are not race tracks. There is absolutely no need for cars to go any faster than this.” said Mr. McTeague. “Speeding reduces one’s ability to manoeuvre or stop the car safely and decreases reaction time in hazardous situation.”

According to Transport Canada, 2,889 Canadians died in vehicle collisions in 2006 (latest reporting year). Transport Canada also reports that speeding was involved in close to two-thirds of these accidents.

“There is no reason for your vehicle to be able to travel at 200 plus kilometres. That is twice the posted speed limit.” Mr. Karygiannis commented. “One Canadian is killed in a motor vehicle accident every three hours. We have to stop this bloodbath!”

Link here:
http://www2.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/P...C-319_1&File=24
so basically, you cant have a car that runs 14's or faster on the quarter mile because you will reach your speed limiter b4 the end of the track. So more of less what happens is for the sport of drag racing in a street legal car, you must have a car that is not actually street legal if it is manufactured after 2010. I cant wait to see aftermarket companies plans to get around these, just more money
That died on the floor if I remember right or won't see the light of day. That all came about because some kid got drunk while up north, crashed, died and his father organized a petition. Got lots of press at the time but a private member's bill from a opposition MP is never going to get far.
Just makes me not want to buy a new car after 2010... :)
kinda silly -- I think the bill died as well... here's hoping it doesn't come to this (granted, we voted these people in).
the focus is governed for what? 175km/hr? and we have chips/tuners that can get rid of this. Tuners will find a way around it, so I have no problem with it.
Flofocus,Jun 23 2009, 01:18 PM Wrote:the focus is governed for what?  175km/hr?  and we have chips/tuners that can get rid of this.  Tuners will find a way around it, so I have no problem with it.
[right][snapback]289999[/snapback][/right]

The catch is, if it is a legislated governor and you disable it.

Then it becomes a Criminal Code offense and that's bad, bad news :ph34r:

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Jun 23 2009, 01:26 PM Wrote:
Flofocus,Jun 23 2009, 01:18 PM Wrote:the focus is governed for what?  175km/hr?  and we have chips/tuners that can get rid of this.  Tuners will find a way around it, so I have no problem with it.

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]290001[/snapback][/right]

Thats what I was thinking......... :ph34r:
even if cars have a limiter out of the factory, its not really enforceable as it will be impossible to pull every tuner or modified car to get this checked out..

5min of my thought is all this bill is worth until it actually begins going through some serious talking about
actually the focus limiter prevents it from going faster than 160 k\m/hr. all they have to do is change the legislation to limit cars to 149 km/hr and it would be impossible for drivers in these new vehicles to be charged with stunt racing
paolo,Jun 23 2009, 04:57 PM Wrote:actually the focus limiter prevents it from going faster than 160 k\m/hr.  all they have to do is change the legislation to limit cars to 149 km/hr and it would be impossible for drivers in these new vehicles to be charged with stunt racing
[right][snapback]290017[/snapback][/right]

My car but be "special", I'm pretty sure mine tops out at 185.
paolo,Jun 23 2009, 04:57 PM Wrote:actually the focus limiter prevents it from going faster than 160 k\m/hr.  all they have to do is change the legislation to limit cars to 149 km/hr and it would be impossible for drivers in these new vehicles to be charged with stunt racing
[right][snapback]290017[/snapback][/right]

Focus 175km/h
According to the spec sheets the Fusion V6 is governed at 185km/h (due to the tires)

NefCanuck
Mine (an ST) is governed at 205. Don't ask me why I know. :ph34r:
OAC_Sparky,Jun 23 2009, 09:22 PM Wrote:Mine (an ST) is governed at 205. Don't ask me why I know.  :ph34r:
[right][snapback]290035[/snapback][/right]

I'm more shocked that you still have the governor active on that thing actually :D

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Jun 23 2009, 09:38 PM Wrote:
OAC_Sparky,Jun 23 2009, 09:22 PM Wrote:Mine (an ST) is governed at 205. Don't ask me why I know.  :ph34r:

I'm more shocked that you still have the governor active on that thing actually :D

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]290037[/snapback][/right]
:lol:
NefCanuck,Jun 23 2009, 02:26 PM Wrote:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]290001[/snapback][/right]

Its already against the law to change the governor on our current cars.

My 2.0L was at 200KM roughly and I was still able to go but then I had to slow down. Dam thing still had 2,500 RPM left.
WITHOUT A TUNE.
Scorcher000,Jun 24 2009, 08:42 AM Wrote:My 2.0L was at 200KM roughly and I was still able to go but then I had to slow down. Dam thing still had 2,500 RPM left.
WITHOUT A TUNE.
[right][snapback]290053[/snapback][/right]

without a tune, a focus won't go over 175kph.
My wife's 03 ZTS did 180 , the SVT tops at 217 (135 mph ), actually reached 220
Pages: 1 2 3