FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Buy My House (gta Realestate Thread)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So... I think our real-estate agent made my mom list too low, Or erin mills is too popular.

Day 1 The house is Officially on the market

We have 10 Confirmed Showings. and possibly 4 more. :blink:

House = MLS Site
Nice pile of bricks but the listing doesn't indicate how old the house is. That can be a selling point in favour if it's young enough (anything less than 10 years)

NefCanuck
11 Years in DEC....

I was just posting it because it sorta goes along with 2001ZTS' real estate threads....

You price a house just under market value in the GTA... 1 day on the market = 13 showings
I dunno... you'd think a house that size would have a larger living room than my semi. But it doesn't.

And I can't stand the "living over my garage" type of houses.

Hopefully it sells for your parents.
For that size house, I don't know why it's listed less than $399,000

As for age playing a factor in a house, since when is newer better, Nef? A 50 yr old home with updated windows, doors, forced air and copper wiring will fetch more than a brand new/5 - 10 yr old home any day of the week. They're generally on larger lots, in more proven areas with more reliable utilities, and were guranteed to have been made with better materials (did you know most builders are now using 3/4 OSB [Pressboard] for subfloors?! That should be illegal...). The older the home, in most cases, the better.
It blows my mind to see how much more houses are 10 min. east of my olace. It almost jumps 20k every hwy. exit. :blink:

I originally wanted to live in Port Credit.....There's a reason why it;s called credit.....Because you need it to live there. I was blown away at how much a smaller townhouse than my own cost there.
If you plopped that on my street it would go for about 700G.
well, we're up to 36 showings since friday..... apparently we had an offer noon on friday as well

the agent is not viewing any offers until tomorrow
Raine,Oct 10 2005, 02:43 AM Wrote:For that size house, I don't know why it's listed less than $399,000

As for age playing a factor in a house, since when is newer better, Nef? A 50 yr old home with updated windows, doors, forced air and copper wiring will fetch more than a brand new/5 - 10 yr old home any day of the week. They're generally on larger lots, in more proven areas with more reliable utilities, and were guranteed to have been made with better materials (did you know most builders are now using 3/4 OSB [Pressboard] for subfloors?! That should be illegal...). The older the home, in most cases, the better.
[right][snapback]147823[/snapback][/right]

Ah, but you have to look at it the other way as well.

For example the electrical wiring will be as modern as it gets, without it being hermetically sealed in the walls, 50 year old wiring is just an expense waiting to happen.

The newer the homes, the tighter tolerances it is (supposedly) built to, so less leaks and drafts you gotta chase down.

Plus the newer the home, the less $ you have to put aside for those "age" related repairs that an older home will end up having.

NefCanuck
scoobasteve,Oct 10 2005, 02:26 PM Wrote:well, we're up to 36 showings since friday..... apparently we had an offer noon on friday as well

the agent is not viewing any offers until tomorrow
[right][snapback]147850[/snapback][/right]

Let the bidding war begin!
NefCanuck,Oct 10 2005, 10:18 PM Wrote:Ah, but you have to look at it the other way as well. 

For example the electrical wiring will be as modern as it gets, without it being hermetically sealed in the walls, 50 year old wiring is just an expense waiting to happen.

The newer the homes, the tighter tolerances it is (supposedly) built to, so less leaks and drafts you gotta chase down.

Plus the newer the home, the less $ you have to put aside for those "age" related repairs that an older home will end up having.

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]148021[/snapback][/right]

Granted and true on all counts, with the exception of the tighter tolerances. Granted, materials are often milled and set better now than they used to be, but that's presuming it's wood they're using. Heathwood - one of Toronto's most acclaimed builders - uses FOAM for their exterior walls. Sure, best insulator you can get, cover it in vapour barrier and you won't do better... until a kid throws a rock thru it and lazy brick layers just go right over it. Try chasing down THAT draught..

It swings both ways I guess
Well, the house is now sold... got above the asking price. sorta funny. the house could have been sold in the first 6 hours because the offer was dated Oct 7 :lol:

so i guess its almost time for brantford.
Raine,Oct 11 2005, 02:39 AM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Oct 10 2005, 10:18 PM Wrote:Ah, but you have to look at it the other way as well. 

NefCanuck

Granted and true on all counts, with the exception of the tighter tolerances. Granted, materials are often milled and set better now than they used to be, but that's presuming it's wood they're using. Heathwood - one of Toronto's most acclaimed builders - uses FOAM for their exterior walls. Sure, best insulator you can get, cover it in vapour barrier and you won't do better... until a kid throws a rock thru it and lazy brick layers just go right over it. Try chasing down THAT draught..

[right][snapback]148036[/snapback][/right]

Foam for exterior walls? :blink: That's legal? Man, I dunno but I can't see how foam is more durable than wood myself....

Lazy brick layers? Oh yeah, seen that happen more than a few times. Friend of the family used to work for Townwood Homes and we'd meet him occasonally on the job sites he was supervising... some of the stuff we saw would make yer hair stand on end :ph34r:

NefCanuck
lol

MOST if not all my freinds work as contractors in the "new home" business.

All of them have the same thing to say.....DO NOT BUY A NEW HOUSE.

:lol:

(and with some of my freinds working on these new houses.....I'll listen to their advice :ph34r: )
NefCanuck,Oct 11 2005, 10:55 AM Wrote:
Raine,Oct 11 2005, 02:39 AM Wrote:

NefCanuck

[right][snapback]148036[/snapback][/right]

Foam for exterior walls? :blink: That's legal? Man, I dunno but I can't see how foam is more durable than wood myself....

Lazy brick layers? Oh yeah, seen that happen more than a few times. Friend of the family used to work for Townwood Homes and we'd meet him occasonally on the job sites he was supervising... some of the stuff we saw would make yer hair stand on end :ph34r:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]148065[/snapback][/right]

IMHO townwood has always been shitty, but Great gulf (house we have now) isnt much better

Empire Communities is building our new house in brantford, i go up every couple weeks to check out the progress, usually bring a contractor buddy. and everything so far is good.
When they modded the house next door to me by added another story it was wood frame and stucco over foam "walls" for lack of a better word. Sure doesn't impress me.

These days best way other than bricks and sticks appears to be ICF construction. My long term goal is to knocjk down and rebuild using that.
ICF?
ICF=Insulated Concrete Forms

They have hollow foam frames which are stacked up like lego to build walls and then concrete is poured into the middle so it becomes a concrete wall sandwiched between layers of foam. Very strong, well insulated, fire resistant etc.

Ah, i've seen that stuff before. alot of the block plaza's use that sorta construction. Back when my dad was still in construction i went to work with him one summer and saw the company build an ICF building from the ground up. Interesting process.

i just googled it...

when you do rebuild with that, i say you have it built to florida specs. and have the roof BOLTED to the frame of the house...
Pages: 1 2