FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: The New Explorer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My Dad just picked one up today... Eddie Bauer... and I gotta say, it looks great. All in all, it's more of a facelift, and though it's got the new 48v V8... it feels exactly the same. However.... wow, ford REALLY stepped it up a notch. I havn't been in anything like the XLT, and obviously the Eddie is going to be a little bit more luxurious... but this is obviously a much better truck than before (yet way too farmiliar for people expecting this redesign to be.... a redesign). I was stoked to see it... so you guys have to deal with a new thread about it :) .
These aren't his... the Eddie has a revised fascia and more chrome and paint, and i THINK these are all Eddies... but none the less... I'm a fan of the new styling
[Image: explorer1sx0cu.png]
[Image: 06explorer.jpg]
[Image: 2006_Ford_Explorer_exfrpass34.jpg]
[Image: explorer2s6fs.png]
[Image: 253329.jpg]

non eddie
[Image: explorer_xroll.jpg]
Tell your father thanks a lot for being part of the reason gas prices have sky rocketed and why more and more children are suffering from respritory illnesses every year :P :lol:
Hideous.
Sorry, I like the 2005 better styling wise.
It's a 3 valve motor. 24v in all. 48 would be 6 valves per cyl :o . Ford explorer is the world renouned #1 fuel lover of all the big midsize suv's. I can't beleive someone would actually buy one and then stuff the V8 in it. But I guess if you can afford to pay 50 g for a 4x4 station wagon that will never be offroad then you can afford to pay 100 bux every three days to fill the thirsty POS up.
Wow that somes up everything that is wrong with North America right there.
Nice truck man, i seen one at our local dealer a few weeks ago and it looked fantastic. Makes envoy and TB and just about every other midsize suv look like crap. You know what's cool about the explorer's new v8, it pollutes less then an accord hybrid mile for mile. :lol: Take that honda. It was a limited i seen and it was perfect,fit and finish and the quality of everything was incredible.
this should be moved to "From The Street" instead of "Off Topic"
Kool_ZX3,Oct 7 2005, 07:59 AM Wrote:......... You know what's cool about the explorer's new v8, it pollutes less then an accord hybrid mile for mile.  :lol: Take that honda. [right][snapback]147318[/snapback][/right]

:huh:

How to you figure that when the Accord hybrid gets 29mpg city/37mpg hwy and the Explorer 14/20?

You could run 2 Accords for the same milage and "haul" 10 people?
yeah I've seen it before, I like them but If I got one I'd want a Hybrid.
I like what they did with them, personally. Well, sorta... Some of the faces look REALLY good, I don't like the chrome ones so much.

The best part is the rear suspension is now essentially a heavy duty version of the Focus rear suspension. No joke. Look underneath. It's a control blade trailing arm with 3 lateral links with passive toe control.

The bad thing, is that they got rid of all the aluminum in the front end, the knuckles are now cast iron instead of aluminum. There's like 100lbs extra unsprung weight up front, just to save $50. And the engine block is now iron too, that's another 100lbs up front. But they did some other things to improve the geometry.

Also, I think the interior is cheaper than the old one, more hard plastic.

Overall, it looks better and rides better, but it's been cheapened.

They look like ASS. Nuff said.

I would wholeheartedly expect someone to get the Stars and Stripes painted on their roof should they go buy this totally un-necessary monstrosity.

It's disgusting, it's oversized, and I really don't care if it emits less at the tailpipe than a giraffe shits in a month... there's no need for something that size for 4-5 people. They waste gas, use up more oil because of the higher amounts needed per oil change, and use up more consumeables per vehicle than other vehicles do on a per-capita or per-person carried basis.
2001 ZTS,Oct 7 2005, 10:16 AM Wrote:
Kool_ZX3,Oct 7 2005, 07:59 AM Wrote:......... You know what's cool about the explorer's new v8, it pollutes less then an accord hybrid mile for mile.  :lol: Take that honda. [right][snapback]147318[/snapback][/right]

How to you figure that when the Accord hybrid gets 29mpg city/37mpg hwy and the Explorer 14/20?

[right][snapback]147323[/snapback][/right]

Pollute as in emissions wise, the explorer emits less then a accord hybrid. There is a thread about on blueovalnews.
"The 2006 Explorer offers more power, improved fuel economy and lower emissions than previous models. The V-8 engine has 53 more horsepower than the 2005 model and meets the state's Low Emissions Vehicle II certification standards.

The 4-liter V-6 engine is certified as an Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle, something Echlin said could only be imagined a few years ago. It produces cleaner tailpipe emissions than the Honda Accord Hybrid, he added. "A lawnmower would produce more smog-forming emissions in ten minutes than a 2006 Explorer V-6 would in 1,000 miles of driving," he said. "

The v6 emits less, sorry but the v8 is damn clean to.
P-51,Oct 7 2005, 10: Wrote:I like what they did with them, personally.  Well, sorta... Some of the faces look REALLY good, I don't like the chrome ones so much.

The best part is the rear suspension is now essentially a heavy duty version of the Focus rear suspension.  No joke.  Look underneath.  It's a control blade trailing arm with 3 lateral links with passive toe control.

The bad thing, is that they got rid of all the aluminum in the front end, the knuckles are now cast iron instead of aluminum.  There's like 100lbs extra unsprung weight up front, just to save $50.  And the engine block is now iron too, that's another 100lbs up front.  But they did some other things to improve the geometry.

Also, I think the interior is cheaper than the old one, more hard plastic.

Overall, it looks better and rides better, but it's been cheapened.
[right][snapback]147325[/snapback][/right]

It's good to see though the extra pounds don't really hurt it.
Kool_ZX3,Oct 7 2005, 09:19 AM Wrote:
2001 ZTS,Oct 7 2005, 10:16 AM Wrote:

[right][snapback]147323[/snapback][/right]

Pollute as in emissions wise, the explorer emits less then a accord hybrid. There is a thread about on blueovalnews.
"The 2006 Explorer offers more power, improved fuel economy and lower emissions than previous models. The V-8 engine has 53 more horsepower than the 2005 model and meets the state's Low Emissions Vehicle II certification standards.

The 4-liter V-6 engine is certified as an Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle, something Echlin said could only be imagined a few years ago. It produces cleaner tailpipe emissions than the Honda Accord Hybrid, he added. "A lawnmower would produce more smog-forming emissions in ten minutes than a 2006 Explorer V-6 would in 1,000 miles of driving," he said. "

The v6 emits less, sorry but the v8 is damn clean to.
[right][snapback]147337[/snapback][/right]
that lawnmower thing is a given, thats where the real pollution problem is at, they should be putting cats on those things

and WHY THE HELL would you ever buy and accord hybrid if it only gets 29/37 MPG? I can get 48MPG in my car, and if i ever bought a hybrid, i would expect none less than 60MPG
crazikev,Oct 7 2005, 11:48 AM Wrote:and WHY THE HELL would you ever buy and accord hybrid if it only gets 29/37 MPG?  [right][snapback]147369[/snapback][/right]

Probably because it also has 255HP?
2001 ZTS,Oct 7 2005, 01:02 PM Wrote:
crazikev,Oct 7 2005, 11:48 AM Wrote:and WHY THE HELL would you ever buy and accord hybrid if it only gets 29/37 MPG?  [right][snapback]147369[/snapback][/right]

Probably because it also has 255HP?
[right][snapback]147404[/snapback][/right]
if i want horsepower ill go buy a good car
FRONT NOT BAD, 02-05 was better, 06 rear way nicer, interior WTF IS WITH THE DOOR HANDLES???? stupid looking, i like the 3V option
06 Fords seem to be having more chrome wheels!! even on the f-150's in lower trim models