FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Swear Swear Swear Swear
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
GD FKING old SCSI-2 HDDs! GD OS corruption!

Un-facking-believable. 3 HDs went in 2 hours... on the same machine. I've heard of similar lifespans, but THAT's ridiculous!

Now I get to re-install everything... what a pain in the ass.

At least it's only ePO and a few (well 16) print queues.

I know this means nothing to 99% of you, but I needed to vent.
you sure they went all at once?

I've heard of RAID faults going undetected until the number of drives dropped below the mirror data requirements, but I've never heard of three drives failing all at once.
learn from your mistakes and use only tape drives!

[Image: 34589_09.JPG]
We came in this morning, one of the two drives making up a 9GB mirror for the system volume was dead. That's fine, we found an older but serviceable 9GB identical drive on a shelf in one of our IT workrooms. We installed it, the server started rebuilding the mirror as expected. In the process of rebuilding the mirror, another drive (1 of 4 18GB drives constituting a ~50GB RAID-5) died... on the same server. Since we were flat out of drives by then, we ordered 3 18GB drives off the west coast. We were going to have to ignore the RAID-5 running in a reduced-performance mode when we realized something was screwed. We couldn't logon to or RDP into the affected box. It was sitting happily at the logon screen, but it kept saying the winlogon exec was corrupted.

Further investigation revealed the entire mirror was trashed, data integrity-wise. It was a shell running Windows quite brokenly. I recovered what we immediately needed off the RAID-5 and shut it down, till the new drives come in and we can discern what to do with it. Given its age, we might just toss it completely.

I've already got EPO reinstalled on a newer box, just updating the virus DATs now. I love McAfee stuff, it's so easy and quick to install and configure.
Which server went down? Print server? Will that affect me?

FYI your new HDD's were ordered this morning. :D
NOS2Go4Me,Oct 6 2005, 11:06 AM Wrote:GD FKING old SCSI-2 HDDs! GD OS corruption!

Un-facking-believable. 3 HDs went in 2 hours... on the same machine. I've heard of similar lifespans, but THAT's ridiculous!

Now I get to re-install everything... what a pain in the ass.

At least it's only ePO and a few (well 16) print queues.

I know this means nothing to 99% of you, but I needed to vent.
[right][snapback]147065[/snapback][/right]

Wow, now I know how people who don't like boats or Subarus feel when they read my posts. :rolleyes:
haha, i was reading this post and all i was thinking about was food.

man im hungry
hey i still use my 1.13GB hd that is like from 1995, works a touch slow i find
2001 ZTS,Oct 6 2005, 12:58 PM Wrote:Wow, now I know how people who don't like boats or Subarus feel when they read my posts. :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]147080[/snapback][/right]
:lol:
lol..........