FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: $5000
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys,

K, heres the deal. I'm planning to sink 5 Grand into my car over the winter. (which some of you know has already started here in cold lake...SMART ASSES)

Now, I need some help on deciding on what to buy. I want more power obviously, but thats where i wanna start. then moving on to exterior and sound system. Now, don't say turbo and intercooler....i plan on getting that later on AFTER my warranty expires...(in 5 years)

so basically i'm asking for your help to spend 5 g's.

thanks
Quote:I'm planning to sink 5 Grand into my car over the winter.

Don't

Quote:Now, I need some help on deciding on what to buy. 

An RRSP, lottery tickets, booze, crack, anything

Quote:I want more power obviously, but thats where i wanna start.  then moving on to exterior and sound system.  Now, don't say turbo and intercooler....i plan on getting that later on AFTER my warranty expires...(in 5 years)

Turbo and intercooler are the only serious way to go. Would I spend $5000 on modding a Focus 5 years from now, probably not.

Quote:so basically i'm asking for your help to spend 5 g's.

You asked
I'm just trying to get an idea what's out there. and 5 grand, isn't really all that much if you think about it. compared to what others have spent. I mean a good set of rims and rubber, and a suspension kit is pretty much over 3 grand anyhow right?

as for the turbo, MEH, we'll see. again just a thought

The bonus here, (in my opinion) is my in-laws are moving to Fiji, for 2 years so they will be leaving us there car. so, i won't need to drive my car for the next 2 years, well i will , but just not as much as i do now. so, my car will be 2 years old, but with almost nothing in mileage on it. So my car, will stay newer for a little bit longer. I mean it only has 4800 kms on it, and her folks are leaving in January 2006.
lol... sell the focus... put a down payment on an 06 WRX

otherwise,

you can get suspension kits for alot cheaper.

SHM makes a nice kit.

for 3k you can get bilstien coilovers. but i'm not quite sure why you'd do that unless your car is making serious power.

rims, intake, exhaust... etc.
Everyone's gonna bash us for telling the new guy (kinda) how it is... but why would you sink 5g's into that car? Maybe into Audio, if you were desperate to spend money, but that's only cause you will be able to take it with you to your next vehicle. Aside from that, I wouldn't put 5g's into the car unless it was the only way I'd get the money
Eibach Pro Kit is a nice all round kit with a good drop , nice ride quality.

MBRP exhaust is probably best value, but i'm not sure on the 05 focus.

A good set of Rims and Rubber will do wonders for the feel/looks of your car once you lower it.

I love how we are "a focus enthusiast site" yet half the people here slam the focus....

down payment on a house.
hardk0re,Oct 4 2005, 12:27 PM Wrote:Eibach Pro Kit is a nice all round kit with a good drop , nice ride quality.

MBRP exhaust is probably best value, but i'm not sure on the 05 focus.

A good set of Rims and Rubber will do wonders for the feel/looks of your car once you lower it.

I love how we are "a focus enthusiast site" yet half the people here slam the focus....
[right][snapback]146551[/snapback][/right]
more like 3/4 ;) <_<
It all depends, if you want to keep the car for a long time, then go ahead. If you plan on getting rid of it in 3-4 years I would be cautious and just do things you can undo.

Not driving the car for 2 years also is only good if you are keeping the car because it won't help the resale at all.

I think:

-Suspension kit (shocks/springs or coilovers) $1000
-Stereo ~$1000
-Good rubber for stock rims ~$600-$800
-Exhaust ~$500

That leaves you with about $1700-$2000 give of take, the problem here is that you can spend 2k on engine mods like intake, cams, header etc. but if your ultimate goal is to turbo/supercharge I would save the money until you can buy a kit. Just because it's kind of a waste.

Unless you can find used parts then it's much better since reselling them you don't lose as much money.

So if you can find used I would get:

-Header
-intake
-cams
-PCM tuning

You could probably squeeze all that in the $1700 but I'm not sure how the market for used parts for the 05's is.

IMHO if you do the above you'de have an all around great Focus that you would enjoy.

WERD
Mabye lower it, get the wheels, and a cat back exhaust. That should be enough to tide you over for a while. What ever's left do something constructive with like some of the others suggested.
why spend money on ANY car? but we do nonetheless.

because I'm me...

dynamic suspension (aka SHM, and includes, shocks, struts, springs, and anti-roll bars front and back) - $1500 (installed)

16" OZ chrono evolution (or equivalent) wheels and tires - $2200 (last quote I got anyway)

MBRP exhaust - (how much is that)

left-overs -oil changes and incidentals.
Give it to me! :lol:

I'll put it to good use.."cough" Turbo "cough"
Jays2000ZX3,Oct 4 2005, 05:40 PM Wrote:It all depends, if you want to keep the car for a long time, then go ahead. If you plan on getting rid of it in 3-4 years I would be cautious and just do things you can undo.

Not driving the car for 2 years also is only good if you are keeping the car because it won't help the resale at all.

I think:

-Suspension kit (shocks/springs or coilovers) $1000
-Stereo ~$1000
-Good rubber for stock rims ~$600-$800
-Exhaust ~$500

That leaves you with about $1700-$2000 give of take, the problem here is that you can spend 2k on engine mods like intake, cams, header etc. but if your ultimate goal is to turbo/supercharge I would save the money until you can buy a kit. Just because it's kind of a waste.

Unless you can find used parts then it's much better since reselling them you don't lose as much money.

So if you can find used I would get:

-Header
-intake
-cams
-PCM tuning

You could probably squeeze all that in the $1700 but I'm not sure how the market for used parts for the 05's is.

IMHO if you do the above you'de have an all around great Focus that you would enjoy.

WERD
[right][snapback]146561[/snapback][/right]

yeah what he says :)

Look for some used parts as well. you can get some good deals on that.
The reason i wanna spend this money is because i can. I've always owned s**t boxes in the past, from a 81 chevette to a 99 saturn. Finally, i drive a brand new car. Mind you the fact that i finally have a great career in the military helps too. I have the opportunity to really make this "my" car. Don't get me wrong, i don't wanna "pimp my ride" to the point i have a cappacino machine or a waterfall in my car, but i want it to look slick.

When i had my saturn. I did alot of work on it, and yah yah i got razzed "But, it's a saturn" everyone said to me. Fawk off, it's my ride. was my typical response.

Being a mechanic on F-18 fighter jets has taught me alot, and have been able to bring some of my knowledge of the aircraft to the automotive side of the table. I look at this as a hobby, something fun to do. I would rather sink 5000 bucks into my car, then go to a bar everyweek and blow wads of cash on drinks and crap. I mean there are people out there that spend 10 times the amount on model railroads, and you can't even drive it around...well that depends on the SIZE of your model railroad of course. (how cool would you look, riding around on a small engine with your conductors hat on anyhow)

Yeah, I know there are better things to spend 5 grand on, and maybe i should. However, i have the knowledge, the space and the means to make this a really sharp one-of-a-kind car. I have always wanted to make something my own, car wise anyhow and I will. I get enough slack from the guys at work always yipping at me, "whats the deal with your car", "your gonna do what to your FOCUS", "BUT IT'S FORD"....fawk ya's all, i say. When them and i are sitting at a light and it goes green and i'm gone and they are sitting there watching my taillights disappear into the darkness, i'll be the one saying...."It may be a Focus, but i'm in front of you".
To me, spending $2200 on rims/tires is a HUGE waste of money, on a 5k budget that's almost half the money...that is INSANE. :o
F-18 engine swap!
crazikev,Oct 4 2005, 12:00 PM Wrote:F-18 engine swap!
[right][snapback]146576[/snapback][/right]

bwaahhahhaha.....hey that's not a bad idea....mind you i have a 5k budget here not a 2 million dollar one
darkpuppet,Oct 4 2005, 12:48 PM Wrote:16" OZ chrono evolution (or equivalent) wheels and tires - $2200 (last quote I got anyway)
[right][snapback]146566[/snapback][/right]

:lol:

or equivalent eh? I'll keep that figure in mind. :P ;)
2001 ZTS,Oct 4 2005, 02:07 PM Wrote:or equivalent eh? I'll keep that figure in mind. :P  ;)
[right][snapback]146579[/snapback][/right]

and I figure I can't afford that either.
I've gone threw two different suspensions, 4 sets of wheels, body kit, lights, blah, blah, blah :rolleyes:

The best thing/mod I did to this car was spend the 5K and boosted it. ;) :D

Pages: 1 2