FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: My Head Gasket!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I took the car in today to see why it's leaving huge puddles of coolant everywhere.

Turns out I have a leaky head gasket.

what now?

How much do those cost to replace, and does anyone know of a good place to get it done?
I'm trying to justify keeping this car any longer.

:(
ANTHONYD,Apr 3 2010, 04:30 PM Wrote:So I took the car in today to see why it's leaving huge puddles of coolant everywhere.

Turns out I have a leaky head gasket.

what now?

How much do those cost to replace, and does anyone know of a good place to get it done?
I'm trying to justify keeping this car any longer.

:(
[right][snapback]304391[/snapback][/right]

I think a couple of hours labour, 3 tops plus mats. Shouldn't be much for a head gasket. IIRC it would be about 75.00 I think.

Did any of the coolant get into the engine? was the car burning white smoke?
The post title reminds me of a Green Day song.
paolo,Apr 3 2010, 03:55 PM Wrote:The post title reminds me of a Green Day song.
[right][snapback]304395[/snapback][/right]

meanwhile it reminds me that i'm hungry.
Depends on the shop, your looking at a decent price to get a shop to do it. $800-1000 is my guess.

Remember when they pull the head they have to redo your timing, at the same time they may tell you to do timing belt, water pump, tensioners. Then they will sell you that your head should be machined, new valve cover gasket and new head gasket. Potentially new IM gaskets.

You could get a shop that will do this on the cheap, but i'm not sure if they will stand behind their warranty should there be an issue.

Are you sure it is not just the thermostat housing leaking?

Sometimes the thermostat housing leak may look like a major gasket leaking as the coolant runs along the seams.

With a head gasket leak your coolant and oil will start mixing and the coolant will turn a milky colour and will cause big problems.
See that's the thing Vinnie, There is NO MILK in the engine.
The guy said he did a pressure check on the coolant system and when they took off the rocker cover, it went everywhere.

I'm almost positive there in NO coolant in the engine. my oil is still very much clean and my dipstick is normal etc. There is no milk under the oil cap either.

The car burns clean, no white smoke and actually sounds pretty good.

I had the car in at CT on fairview in burlington (good service for small stuff) to look at the housing as i was sure that was the problem. I'm leaving manhole sized puddles everywhere i go and I'm topping up the bottle every other day.

The engine still runs at normal temperature etc...
I'm beginning to think I may be getting fleeced.
If they pulled the valve cover and saw coolant, and your oil is clean then they are probably bulls***ting you.

your best bet is to get out and look at the thermostat housing, if its wet underneeth, and if your tranny looks wet on top most likely its the TStat housing.
I'm going to get under the car today and have a look. Does anyone have a picture of what the thermostat housing looked like ? Is it something I can clearly see underneath the car?

Part of me wants to ditch the car and pick up that edge sport I had my eye on, on the other hand, having 2 car payments is against all my beliefs and practices in every way. I have better things to drop my cash on.

If it's the housing, I'm going to flip. What are those to replace? A few hindered bucks?
I think the t-stat housing is around $100. Its made of plastic on the end of the head with the upper rad hose going to it.
Here is a link with pictures and instructions:

linky

I used these instructions to replace the housing myself in about an hour. The part was about $75.

The Stealership wanted $550!!!
I remember my busted on me but the car started to over heat right away....must have been a bigger hole in it.

Back then I didn't know what the issue was but mechanic did it for $200. Which right now i think of it as a big rip off anyway haha. Wish I did it myself.

So I took a good look at the car this afternoon. After looking
at the pictures of a thermo housing, and seeing it is located on the RIGHT side of the engine, I expect the leak to be on that side of the motor no?

I jammed my hand under the housing to see if I could feel a leak and there was no moisture what so ever.

I got under the car and noticed the coolant is leaking from the LEFT side of the motor around the oil pan. My gut says that is bad.

Anyone had this issue?
stupid question, but did you check all your hoses and clamps?
sell it. buy some svt of kijiji.
patrick23,Apr 5 2010, 08:05 AM Wrote:sell it. buy some svt of kijiji.
[right][snapback]304531[/snapback][/right]

Like I'd buy another focus.
ANTHONYD,Apr 5 2010, 07:31 AM Wrote:

Like I'd buy another focus.
[right][snapback]304532[/snapback][/right]
Funny how 90% of the members think that way but don't say it out loud.
Maybe its the gasket from the water pump or the pump itself. Try removing the lower timing shield and look for leaks around the crankshaft pulley area /or above it.
meford4u,Apr 5 2010, 08:56 AM Wrote:Funny how 90% of the members think that way but don't say it out loud.
[right][snapback]304534[/snapback][/right]

I'd buy another in a heartbeat. I'd trade my toyota for my old focus any day.

The SVT's on KIJIJI are s***ty abused rust boxes! I looked at most of them, all have bad rusties on the doors/hatch, underbody. Most have clearly been abused by punk kids. I gave up looking I think I went to see 5 different SVT's, all dissapointed me.
i didn't say I wouldn't buy another ford.
I'm goo goo for the Edge Sport.

I just don't see the point in having 2 car payments.
(Wife's car)
Pages: 1 2