FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Focus Had To Be Towed :(
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I get into my car today after work... was going to give a buddy a lift home... put the key in the ignition, or at least try to. It won't go all the way in. Pull it out, take a look, seems to be in perfect shape, no bends or anything, so I flip it and try it again. Still won't go in. Try for about 5 mins, try giving the column a few taps to see if it's just a jammed tumbler in the cylinder... wouldn't work. Called CAA, they sent some guy who was obviously drunk, he radioed for a tow... tow truck driver was a great guy, and he took a close look at the ignition, shone a light in there and the whole bit... suspected that something had slipped out of place and now the unit was seized. My mother's been driving the car lately since her's has been in for service, and he figured that the key had been over turned in one direction or another which caused the cylinder to lose alignment and as a result, one of the tumblers is jammed. So it had to be towed down to freeway ford.. yay. But now I can at least get them to look at the cv joint at the front and the rear linkage, which is making noise again... shittay tho. I think those ignition cylinders are pricey...
there was a recall on this wasn't there?....good luck with the outcome
FociBC,Sep 30 2005, 12:59 AM Wrote:there was a recall on this wasn't there?....good luck with the outcome
[right][snapback]145731[/snapback][/right]

I certainly hope you're right. Don't quite wanna pay the god knows how much for getting this fixed

EDITL Nope, not on the recall list :(
We've been discussing it a lot of late, Al. It's a known TSB, I believe.

Why it hasn't made recall status is beyond any of us. When you get to the dealer (or before you get there), you may want to try calling Ford Canada first and see what they say about the matter.
mine was done under warranty, but i think some ppl from this board paid around 50-60 for the new ignition cylinder.

The cylinder itself isn't too pricey, its the labour to install a new one. I had mine done at the beginning of Aug, same prob as you, and because you can't turn the key at all in the ignition they're gonna have to drill out the old cylinder to put the new one in. When i had mine done I asked about whether it was covered under warranty at the time, or if it was a recall and the answer was no on both counts, and being that your car is the same model year as mine you'll prolly be in the same boat. I think all told with tax incl. i paid between 300-400 for the job. Was not impressed let me tell you.
take your mom to court and have her pay for the repairs!

lol!
yea, the ILC's [ignition lock cylinder]tend to go on the Focus.....mine went ...i had to pay ..my car was out of warranty at the time.

it really should have been a recall..
Habmann's got it... $375 is what it's gonna cost me. even my service guy told me it's a super common problem.

I'm gonna fight it with Ford of Canada. For any of you guys that have had the work done and had to pay for it and would be willing, could I get a copy of your service records for the repairs? I'd be happy to go into the service manager's office with 5 or 6 identical problems and tell him where to go.
I think this happebed to ZOOM to, but he couldnt get his key OUT.

Yeah this actually happened to my sedan, but it was under warranty, and mines a 2004
Raine,Sep 30 2005, 11:51 AM Wrote:Habmann's got it... $375 is what it's gonna cost me. even my service guy told me it's a super common problem.

I'm gonna fight it with Ford of Canada. For any of you guys that have had the work done and had to pay for it and would be willing, could I get a copy of your service records for the repairs? I'd be happy to go into the service manager's office with 5 or 6 identical problems and tell him where to go.
[right][snapback]145804[/snapback][/right]

If i can find the service record when i get home tonite, i'll send it to ya. Ford will prolly do nothing but it can't hurt at this point.
Happened to me Al. I'll see if I can dig up the work order!
"Ford" will probably blame it on the subjective and un-provable "excessive weight on the key chain" excuse. Your only saviour will be a sympathetic dealer, wish I knew one after all these past 5 years. :(
TSB 05-19-11, UPDATED FROM TSB 02-18-2

"IGNITION KEY RELATED ISSUES - KEY DIFFICULT OR UNABLE TO BE TURNED OR REMOVED; KEY-IN-IGNITION WARNING CHIME SOUNDING WITH KEY REMOVED"

*EDIT* 2000-2005 Focus (all)
It's a recall. It happen to me last summer and Ford changed it.
When did this become a recall, i had mine done in august and it wasn't a recall then. Atleast thats what the dealer told me.
its a TSB, not a recall, TSB's are done under warranty, once your out of warranty, you hav to pay to fix it up
And that's bullshit..

And coupled with the bullshit:

I pick up the car this morning and I was in a rush so I didn't look at it before I paid for it cause I was already late for work. Take a look after I'm done work, and wtf... all the papers in the little pocket under my aftermarket deck were all on the floor, there are little shards of sharp plastic (one of which cut my finger) all over the place, including on the mouth of the cd tray on my new clarion hu... the clunking sound coming from the front that I asked them to fix is now WORSE...

Freeway Ford's service manager better have a spare set of underwear Monday morning... I'll beat the s**t out of him if he doesn't OFFER to detail the interior and fix the clunking sound PROPERLY/refund the money
happened to me this summer.
Raine you jinxed me!!!

My mom wakes me up sunday morning and says "the key wont go in the ignition on the sedan!!"

"Did you lock the steering wheel?? Jiggle it!!"
"I tried that its not going!"

So i get up thinking my mom is handicapped and go out side. And she was right, wont go in. So i had to chauffer her ass all around town on my day off.

So this morning we cann ford roadside assistance. The tow driver gets in ther focus tries to stick it in...nothing. The he makes a fist and slams the key into the ignition...problme solved.

He said that this happens probly twice a week with the fords, and that slamming it in works 80% of the time. He said there is one guy that he goes to almost on a monthly basis for about 6 months with this problem, and he had his ignition replaced 3 times on his focus.
Pages: 1 2