FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Household Bug Question...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there any page/guide/anything that goes over what is considered the normal amount of bug concentration in a household?

Im trying to convince my parents the house is messed up because every day I see a few different bugs running around. We seem to have a crazy concentration of centipedes.

We had a crazy ant problem earlier this summer and it took me bascially 2 weeks to convince my dad to have it sprayed. I literally had to take apart part of the house to show him where they were comming in.

Theres gotta be some ontario resource guide to bugs or something. I hate them.
Ants and Centipedes are harmless.

Dan: You have to remember, it's getting cold out, these critters are looking for a place to crash until spring.

Do you guys make your own wine?
I know this can contribute to it.
Centipedes are the ugliest bastards evah!!! THEY FREAK ME OUT!

id rather had roaches...
I know there harmless anthony .. =P ... But I hate sitting at my computer and seeing one drop from the ceiling .. or playing ps2 and watching one run by me ...

Just gross' me out I guess.

Ya my dad makes his own wine as well ... How can that contribute? Anymore info on that?
I think it's because bugs are attracted to the extra CO2 generated during fermentation... could be wrong tho..
darkpuppet,Sep 29 2005, 04:24 PM Wrote:I think it's because bugs are attracted to the extra CO2 generated during fermentation... could be wrong tho..
[right][snapback]145590[/snapback][/right]

ding ding ding....
spiders are everywhere around our house (i have a serious phobia againt spiders) - we have alot of trees around our place - are you in a shady or damp area?
First thing, relax. Maybe it's easy for me because i'm an old biologist but, in my opinion, most people are way more concerned about "bugs" than they need to be.

The vast majority don't bite and are harmless. People freak about earwigs but, in reality, they are just an annoyance.

To minimize the number of centipedes and "silver fish" etc... clean up damp, dark spaces and you will see their numbers drop. Sweet stuff and other sources of food for them will bring them in as well.

Spiders aren't "bugs" and, in fact, are doing you a favour by cleaning up other bugs. I like spiders but, I have to admit, vacuum up lots of cob-web spiders. We live in a swampy country spot and have lots of bugs.

Every year ants have a ritual emergence of kings and queens through our downstairs and, I have learned, the simplest (and perhaps most humane) thing to do is vacuum them up. If you use insecticides (which we don't) you'll get the ones on the outside but the others will just find another entrance place. Also, most insecticides attack the nervous system and ours is not that different from those of insects, although it would take a lot more to kill a human.

Easiest and best way of addressing bug problems is to remove entrance points (caulking etc...) and clean up potential habitat (dark, damp areas with books, food debris etc..).

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Napalm?