FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Attn: Financial Advisement People
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Slimsride,Sep 29 2005, 12:27 PM Wrote:I found out the hard way when i used my card to buy a timmies coffee...it denied me for 1.55.
[right][snapback]145542[/snapback][/right]

Since when does Timmies accept debit???

Although better than most, $2500 is pennies Mike. You're just as well off hiding it under the mattress... you're not going to make any significant money on $2500 unless you put it in penny stocks and hope for a boom. Interest rates will go up, yes, but for the time being, sit on it, or find a nice little stock that's sitting around $1.00 and see what their q4 forcasts are, what business ventures they're under taking... think of it this way, even if you exclude traders fees and whatnot, you dump $2500 into a stock that goes from $1 to $1.75? You walk away with about $4000! It's as high risk as you can go (if the stock slips to $0.85, then you're left with only $2100 and change) but the bigger the risk, the more the reward.
Your only left with that on paper... if a stock drops your not screwed in the slightest.

Mike, I started playing the stock market with about 2500 myself when I was 19 ... May wonna give it a try.. I know it was nice towards me.
tdot-zx3,Sep 29 2005, 02: Wrote:Your only left with that on paper... if a stock drops your not screwed in the slightest.
[right][snapback]145552[/snapback][/right]

Tell that to people who've owned Nortel stocks for 10 years. :lol:
Ok .. well theres some exceptions to every rule, obviously .... But I live in a household where we've been playing penny stocks for years and years ...

You have to expect volitile stocks like that to jump up and down and you have to sit on them for a while sometimes if you want to make anything back. The main point is, with almost everything on the stock market ... Is knowledge/trust in what your buying ... and some patience.

Last friday my dad "lost" 30,000 in his online portfolio .. ha ha ha .. Monday he recoup'd 10k, tuesday about 8k, and now hes basically back.

Panicing gets you no where. But ya... Theres exceptions always. I remember when we had money in BreX .. that was an exception.
Here's my story and point of view. My wife and I moved in together in 1995 and we were in financial trouble right from the beginning. I spent too much on a new house, furnishings, whatever. She came in with debt after selling her house and carried debts herself. We owed, when the dust cleared, about 50k in debts. So we went off to see a financial advisor to help us out.
Leave the fighting and BS that happenend to a better story another day........As of October, the only loan I hold is for my house. CC paid. Vehicles paid. And savings of $25k.. Why? Well you guys know well enough that I joke around alot about how little I work. But atleast I can enjoy how little I work.
What should you do with your cash? Go see a financial advisor. They have plenty of secured investment options that can earn you 5%+. And good for you for saving your money.
meford4u,Sep 29 2005, 02:53 PM Wrote:And good for you for saving your money.
[right][snapback]145570[/snapback][/right]

I think that's the nicest thing you've ever said to anyone on this board you fucktard! THANKS
Saving cash is smart... Sara and I are "exceptions" to the rule (well, not since August) with dual-incomes to spread bills and expenses across.

We actually have a very bulletproof way of dealing with EVERYTHING. Sad thing is, this doesn't apply to you unless you're living with your sig. other and have a SILLY amount of trust in one another.

I still say that the RIF is the way to go... keep what you have (fairly) liquid, transfer cash as needed to RRSPs to keep them topped-up, and they're historically nicer to us in the last year alone.

I'd have to run the numbers, but I think we were 18-22% this calendar year alone for pure Canadian Equity investments thru Sun Life.
Dan's right on this thing, Mike... chance the stocks. Seriously. Even take a thousand and try it out... you won't regret it.
Oscar The Grouch,Sep 29 2005, 12:08 PM Wrote:hmmm at 2%, you're barely making inflation these days.

Personally, I keep my money in GIC's.  Gives about 4.75%-5.25% depending on term length. I'm not sure if you can pull it out early but I'll check.

Now as 2001ZTS has mentionned, yes getting rid of some debt is great, especially high interest credit card debt.

Have you ever though about investing in stocks?
[right][snapback]145466[/snapback][/right]

hmm yeah you better ask permission first on that one
nass,Sep 30 2005, 05:43 PM Wrote:hmm yeah you better ask permission first on that one
[right][snapback]145896[/snapback][/right]

That's it buddy you just made the list:

Oscar's Ennemies List:

1. NOS - Cause he's got a better computer.
2. microbunny - Cause he pisses off NOS and that's my job!
3. darkpuppet - Cause he's an admin and I don't work well with authority.
4. KoolZX3 - Cause he can buy Alpine beer whenever he wants. Bastard!
5. nass - For being a general fuktard.

B)
Oscar The Grouch,Sep 30 2005, 06:17 PM Wrote:
nass,Sep 30 2005, 05:43 PM Wrote:hmm yeah you better ask permission first on that one

Oscar's Ennemies List:

B)
[right][snapback]145898[/snapback][/right]

Can I be on the list? Seems like all the cool guys are hanging out there :fluffy: :fag: :fluffy:
There is a really good book out there called "The Wealthy Barber", I CAN'T STRESS ENOUGH HOW GOOD IT IS! Between it, an elective I took in school about "Personal Finance" I've done very well. You wouldn't believe me how much so if I told you.

Property and a RRSP are the corner stone of wealth management in Canada but even more important is just a few good habits, discipline, having a plan and sticking to it. As the book says "Pay yourself first!"

Now matter how little anyone here makes or whatever hole anyone may be in now they can get out and then some.

I bet I could increase the net worth of a guy like darkpuppet who makes good money but has bad habits a million dollars in about 7 years.
I can attest ... My dad made me read that book when I was like 15 or 16 ...
aw, im illiterate, i can't read a book, :lol:

but really, it is a good book? Or is it boring and outdated like most books these days?
Oscar The Grouch,Sep 30 2005, 10:17 PM Wrote:

Oscar's Ennemies List:

B)
[right][snapback]145898[/snapback][/right]

hey man I didn't do anything, you said it I just clearified it for the lazy people here that skim the posts... :) but seriously lets not hijack this thread anymore it's not polite :ph34r:

does anyone play penny stocks? we should setup a " make money quick " section to this site then lets all read and make money mod our cars and see who ends up with the biggest penis....

sweet.
I stopped playing them a while ago ... I have my money in some different things now... more long term (which im so against but I was convinced)

And...

Its like, THE book for anyone getting into this stuff... seriously.
2001 ZTS,Sep 30 2005, 08:38 PM Wrote:There is a really good book out there called "The Wealthy Barber", I CAN'T STRESS ENOUGH HOW GOOD IT IS! Between it, an elective I took in school about "Personal Finance" I've done very well. You wouldn't believe me how much so if I told you.

Property and a RRSP are the corner stone of wealth management in Canada but even more important is just a few good habits, discipline, having a plan and sticking to it. As the book says "Pay yourself first!"

Now matter how little anyone here makes or whatever hole anyone may be in now they can get out and then some.

I bet I could increase the net worth of a guy like darkpuppet who makes good money but has bad habits a million dollars in about 7 years.
[right][snapback]145918[/snapback][/right]

I have this book in the shitter room. let me know if you want to borrow it.

Paying yourself fist is the smartest thing you can do. Reason #1 why 1/4 of my pay goes away before its even deposited in my bank account. I dont even see it coming off, unless I take a close look at the deductions part of my paycheque, then I cry. :( :lol:
Yup, automatic deductions are the way to go. No fuss, no mess. Just automatic deposit goodness!
nass,Oct 2 2005, 07:37 PM Wrote:does anyone play penny stocks? we should setup a " make money quick " section to this site then lets all read and make money mod our cars and see who ends up with the biggest penis....

sweet.
[right][snapback]146144[/snapback][/right]

make money quick section... um..

anyone see focusben around? I get the feeling he can't even afford to use the free internet at the library.
darkpuppet,Oct 3 2005, 11:39 AM Wrote:
nass,Oct 2 2005, 07:37 PM Wrote:does anyone play penny stocks? we should setup a " make money quick " section to this site then lets all read and make money mod our cars and see who ends up with the biggest penis....

sweet.
[right][snapback]146144[/snapback][/right]

make money quick section... um..

anyone see focusben around? I get the feeling he can't even afford to use the free internet at the library.
[right][snapback]146263[/snapback][/right]

What was he involved with... amway? Primerica? lol.
Pages: 1 2 3