FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Car Not Starting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Im having a problem with my car not starting.It will not roll over at all. It has lots of power in the battery and the clutch saftey switch is working. I am Hoping it is not the starter but I was just seeing if anyone have this problem before.

Thanks Brad
some people say give the starter a tap with a hammer, apparently it can reingage the solenoid.

is the car a manual, try push starting the car see if it runs...
If you hear a ticking noise or a big "click" near the starter, yeah the solenoid on the starter could be screwed. You could either get a new starter or have the starter rebuilt (I had mine in my old S-10 done before).

If there is no tick or click, then the starter ain't getting power. Check the cables and connections and have an ammeter handy.
Check fuses and/or Fusible links? The 'other' fuse panel is under the hood, just behind the battery.

just doublecheck the battery.... if it's the stock one, it should have the green dot showing.

that clutch safety is a pain in the butt too... I find sometimes I'm not pressing hard enough on the clutch pedal.
The green dot on your battery means nothing. The thing that kills a battery is all the electrolyte sticks to the plates in the cells. The dot would still be green even if the battery was bad. Use a hydrometer to measure each cell in battery and see if the specfic gravity is low in any of the cells. This measures the amount of acid contained in each cell and the acid is what holds the charge in the battery. if it is stuck to the plates then it can float between the two plates to hold a charge
I never thought the green dot could lie to me... i usually just take a voltmeter to it.
The green dot just tells you if the acid mixture is low or high. It could still be high and all the electrolyte could be stuck to the plates causing your battery to fail. My father recycles batteries and he told me all about this. when he recycles them it just puts a charge on the plates, releases all the electrolyte back into the acid mixture making it just like a new one.
Thanks for all the advice guys, I tried all that and still nothing. I measured the voltage at the starter was only 2 volts with the ignition on, so I cleaned all the grounds and still no change. So I ran a new ground from the battery to the block and it started no problem.

Thanks for all the help Brad