FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Will This Tire Size Be Okay On A 16 Wheel?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'll be picking up a set of factory 16 x 6 (03 five spokes) wheels this week to use for winter and I found an ad for some 215/60/16 Goodyear UltraGrip Ice tires with low k's in my local buy & sell. I know the height should be no problem since it's only one size up from the factory tire, but how wide can I go with this rim?
I don't know, 215/60R16 is pretty big, the diameter will be 1-1/2 inches bigger than the regular 16" size which is 205/50.

Ideally you would want something skinnier than stock for a winter tire too.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
I was thinking they were too wide, but they caught my eye beacause they have 6000km on them and he's asking $350 for the set of 4. Maybe I shouldn't cheap out on this. I had a set of Mich. Artic Alpins on my winter beater and they were great in the snow, maybe I'll check into those in 195/50/16.
I have Mich X ice on the SVT and Cdn Tire Ice trac on the ZX3. Both work pretty good.
SVT ZX3,Sep 26 2005, 01:06 PM Wrote:I'll be picking up a set of factory 16 x 6 (03 five spokes) wheels this week to use for winter and I found an ad for some 215/60/16 Goodyear UltraGrip Ice tires with low k's in my local buy & sell. I know the height should be no problem since it's only one size up from the factory tire, but how wide can I go with this rim?
[right][snapback]144902[/snapback][/right]

215/60/16 will rub for sure. Even my 205/55/16 rubbed on full turns in the inner wells when I lowered the car. fixed the problem by putting 3mm spacers.
yeah they will rub forsure, i baught a set of mich PA2's on a blowout sale and the only size they had close to mine was a 215/55R16 and that rubs but im lowered 2". then you have to add all the snow and ice that will build up in the wheel wells also. :( time to buy the correct size and bite the bullet :P
Yep, 215 rubbed on the front of my SVT. 205's were no problem.